Video Interview with JP

Saint Charlie

Nice article but I'm afraid I can't listen to JP's interviews, I just hate listening with thick Dutch-English accents. Could someone tell me what he said?

OK, I've just got off the phone from Macleren and he translated what JP basically said as:

"Southampton, yes. I thought maybe we get big club, like Blackpool. And it is Blackpool. Players, they are yes it is Blackpool. Players, they want to play Blackpool. I want play Blackpool.

Championship. It is why I come to FC Southampton and now. Now, it is Blackpool.

So, we see if Blackpool can be beat. Yes.

Now, where the feck are those chocolate shprinkles and who stole my bloody caravan????"

Found this on t'internet , our Head Coach is carrying a few old grudges apparently !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1050721/Gemmill-nutmeg-grates-Southampton-boss-Poortvliet.html

Great find friend, really enjoyed that and can't believe I have seen our head coach my whole life without knowing who he was!!

I was 8 when Gemmil scored that goal and can remember that World Cup like it was yesterday. The ticker tape everywhere!!!

More than anything I remember the fantastic piano music that went with the TV coverage. If anyone knows what it is, I'd be grateful!!

That daily mail article was a good read. am really loving Jan every time i see anything where he has commented - comes across as a quality guy - I really hope (and also think) that the youngsters will actually hold him in high regard, almost like the Man U kids do to Fergie.

But back to my point!!! notice in the article that Jan admitted to being used as the man marker of the "most skillful" player - have we seen that in our new tactics?? is Jan asking one of our C. def. to act as the man marker? - obviously a question to those who have attended matches? cheers in advance.

Great find friend, really enjoyed that and can't believe I have seen our head coach my whole life without knowing who he was!!

I was 8 when Gemmil scored that goal and can remember that World Cup like it was yesterday. The ticker tape everywhere!!!

More than anything I remember the fantastic piano music that went with the TV coverage. If anyone knows what it is, I'd be grateful!!

Yeah I remember that as well; BBC had the piano on the radio and wasn't Messa Dorma by Pavirotti for teh TV?? Can remember Bobby Charlton shouting "its in, its in" when Gemmill scored on the tv. Thats when we were a United Kingdom, there's no way any Englishman would cheer the Scots now!!!

Edited by Ian the Red

That daily mail article was a good read. am really loving Jan every time i see anything where he has commented - comes across as a quality guy - I really hope (and also think) that the youngsters will actually hold him in high regard, almost like the Man U kids do to Fergie.

But back to my point!!! notice in the article that Jan admitted to being used as the man marker of the "most skillful" player - have we seen that in our new tactics?? is Jan asking one of our C. def. to act as the man marker? - obviously a question to those who have attended matches? cheers in advance.

Not sure that we are using man marking, certainly not in teh games I've seen this season. I think JP was the "hardman" for the dutch, certainly if he was man marking he would have mixed it a bit.

Like you, I think JP is fantastic, he preaches how football should be played

Found this on t'internet , our Head Coach is carrying a few old grudges apparently !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1050721/Gemmill-nutmeg-grates-Southampton-boss-Poortvliet.html

A good article overall but I think journalist Matt Barclay uses licence... he talks of Saints fans calling JP and MW the Dutch Donkeys when Lowe appointed them... never seen that phrase on this site or elsewhere!

PS. Here's Archie Gemmell stitching JP up in 1978. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB0nFze1Fdw Not sure it's a classic nutmeg, more a case of JP committed to a tackle (he's the number 2) and Gemmell reading it.

Edited by TopGun

That Daily Mail article is very good, and there are a few good points in it. One which I think all fans need to read and take note of however is this:

'But if you lose and learn why you lose, it will make you better. It will make you a winner in the end. Don't hide yourself. That's what you have to believe in.

'It is no good for a manager to start thinking: "Now I have to do it another way." You know what you want, so go for it. If not today, tomorrow. If not tomorrow, the day after. Ajax were not born in a day.'

Fans need to remember this. Someone else alluded to this in another post this week... we will lose games and we will play poorly at times... maybe often, maybe less so, but it will happen. Our reaction to that is important and hopefully, now fans are starting to believe in JP's methods, we will all get right behind the team and coaching staff no matter what the most recent result.

Good to see JP also makes quick reference to Matthew Pattison in that vid clip. Shows that he is not ignoring home grown talent despite getting loans from big clubs in the form of Pekhart and Cork, who may not be better.

Burley seemed entranced by Hammill simply because he came from Liverpool yet ignored our own youngsters of the same age.

Edited by TopGun

The more you see of JP, not only is he totally frank with his comments, but he shows 'total' understanding of what football coaching is about. It tends to show that Nigel Pearson being allowed to leave was no insult to Pearson at all. JP is exceptional, and just right for our situation.

Good to see JP also makes quick reference to Matthew Pattison in that vid clip. Shows that he is not ignoring home grown talent despite getting loans from big clubs in the form of Pekhart and Cork, who may not be better.

Burley seemed entranced by Hammill simply because he came from Liverpool yet ignored our own youngsters of the same age.

I remember the conference when burley came and it was said he was chosen as he had a great track record in bringing youngsters through...

instead he brought in bale and jones and splashed loads of money on the wrights, II, euells of this world...:rolleyes: