This BP Oil well business

alpine_saint

Anybody else thinks that this is an orchestrated activity by the US government to weaken and destabillies BP so that Exxon can walk-in and take over ?

It was a US owned and run oil-rig that blew up.

Obama has been talking BP down for months

Now that the well is nearly sealed, we hear the US government is investigating a link between BP and the release of the Lockerbie bomber.

Obama will comment on the temporary plugging of the well this afternoon just as BP shares are recovering

Exxon has this week been linked with a takeover bid.

Sorry, something stinks...

Anybody else thinks that this is an orchestrated activity by the US government to weaken and destabillies BP so that Exxon can walk-in and take over ?

Now that the well is nearly sealed, we hear the US government is investigating a link between BP and the release of the Lockerbie bomber.

Obama will comment on the temporary plugging of the well this afternoon just as BP shares are recovering

I can understand your comments but the man in charge of the rig was BP. I understand the operatives were overruled regarding four procedures that were considered vital but not carried out. I have been told that the lockout valve which failed was not tested and there was no bridge reinforcement in the concrete cap, the other two procedures I wasn't told but it certainly appears that cutting corners was the problem.

Think it was an accident, but that BP were taking short cuts. The rest is just politics, Obama needs to make these noises for his home audience.

What it is however, is a golden chance for anyone to make a stack of cash. BP is still a hugely profitable company and in a year we will have all forgotton about this. The fact that its share price has halved, is nuts and anyone with any spare cash should buy BP. Its assets and ability to make money did not disappear because of this spill. Yes the clean up costs and compensation bill could be huge, but BP makes $19 billion a quarter. 19 billion!!!!!!!!!!! Its suspends its dividend a few times cuts a few costs and it can easily pay the bill. In a year, it'll still be the huge money making machine it already is and its share price will reflect that again.

Yeah.....BP's negligence, plain and simple....Three Major **** up's in a row from them over the last decade along with total incompetence in mitigating the damages.

To try and somehow cloak this in some kind of conspiracy theory is as laughable and as pathetic as the loons with the Moon landings and 9/11 theories

As for a great investment? ..only if you like ****ing your money down a black hole...The claims are only just starting to ramp up...BP will be ripped to shreds by the time this is over....I'd be very surprised if they still exist in anything like their current form this time next year....

Yeah.....BP's negligence, plain and simple....Three Major **** up's in a row from them over the last decade along with total incompetence in mitigating the damages.

To try and somehow cloak this in some kind of conspiracy theory is as laughable and as pathetic as the loons with the Moon landings and 9/11 theories

As for a great investment? ..only if you like ****ing your money down a black hole...The claims are only just starting to ramp up...BP will be ripped to shreds by the time this is over....I'd be very surprised if they still exist in anything like their current form this time next year....

Bloody Hell St.George I agree with you!!!!!

IMO, there might be some truth in what you say. I think we'll see quite a lot of this political gamesmanship in the upcoming months, possibly years. For me, the "western world" is ****ed. We've been bought by the Arabs and now the Chinese and we're now scrambling to grab every last resource and bargaining chip before nothing is left.

Possibly, in my lifetime, I think we'll see a major shift in super powers.

We've had our time... I think the east is on the rise and we'll soon all be reliant on them. That is, of course, assuming we don't bully a few more lesser nations to our eventual benefit...

There is something most unsavoury about Obama and his cronies on this issue, plenty of mud slinging out in the open where you only have to scratch the surface to see how guilty they are on similar issues - it all appears to be very subversive

Britsh diplomacy skills will certainly be required in the coming years

The well could have been capped almost imediately but that would have meant that BP would have to drill a whole new well and loose all the oil money until it was complete. By allowing it to gush, they could at least skim off some of the oil and still make money until it could be fitted with a valve that would allow them to get all the oil and they don't really care how much of the Gulf they destroyed as long as they get their oil.

The well could have been capped almost imediately but that would have meant that BP would have to drill a whole new well and loose all the oil money until it was complete. By allowing it to gush, they could at least skim off some of the oil and still make money until it could be fitted with a valve that would allow them to get all the oil and they don't really care how much of the Gulf they destroyed as long as they get their oil.

As consumers, "their" oil is also our oil. We demand it, they supply it.

What would we be doing if Exxon or Cononco had release miilions of gallons of crude into the north sea? Pretty much the same as Obama I guess.

BP have been crassly negligent. I have heard one story that this problem was highlighted to th BP official by the head of a team of contractors who were on the rig a few days before the disaster. He was ignored.. The contractor manager then requested that his team be airlifted off the rig because it was too dangerous, and his request was refused. Finally he called up his head office and told them. They sent out a chopper and picked up him and his team the day before the explosion.

One other story which was reported was that Haliburton (US Oil services contractor) had recommended that 20+ saftey devices be fitted on the well, and only 6 were. It is all about time and money. For every minute the well isn't pumping, the rig is losing serious money. The rig managers will be targetted on oil production so every hold up affects them personally. In this case I believe corner's were cut.

Another thing to consider is that so far BP have been soaking up all the critism and focused entirely on stopping the leak and rightly so. At some point they will turn their gunsights on other people such as the operator, Transocean (us company).

I was watching Newsnight and the Obama lot are now saying that the Lockerbie bomber was released because of pressure from BP. This is despite the fact that Al Margrahi was released for compassionate reasons by the SNP and it's a fact that many cancer patients live longer than doctors predict. My old man lived twice as long as the doctors said for example. It's time to get tough with the Yanks and take no more ****e from them. The special relationship is now over and it's them and us as far as i'm concerned and if I was David Cameron i'd get right behind BP and make it clear to the Yanks that if they want to kick off we'll be fully prepared for some tit for tat action.

The rig that exploded was almost entirely American staffed. The blow-out prevented that failed was American manufacture.

Sorry, considering exactly how the CIA and other US agencies behave, I consider it entirely possible the whole thing is a scam to get control of one of the worlds major non-American oil companies for long-term strategic purposes. After all, the Russians have been playing the same games for a few years now.

Maybe if this is the case, Obama and his administration are oblivious, but they are certainly unwittingly playing their part well..

The rig that exploded was almost entirely American staffed. The blow-out prevented that failed was American manufacture.

Sorry, considering exactly how the CIA and other US agencies behave, I consider it entirely possible the whole thing is a scam to get control of one of the worlds major non-American oil companies for long-term strategic purposes. After all, the Russians have been playing the same games for a few years now.

Maybe if this is the case, Obama and his administration are oblivious, but they are certainly unwittingly playing their part well..

So they planned to kill 11 people then?

And just how does the subsequent 6 month deep sea drilling moratorium, that's completely destroying the entire Gulf Coast Oil industry fit into your wacko conspiracy theory?

And just how does the subsequent 6 month deep sea drilling moratorium, that's completely destroying the entire Gulf Coast Oil industry fit into your wacko conspiracy theory?

Talking of Wacko conspiracy theories what are your thoughts on this bonkers American ambassadors views?

7 minutes onwards for the interview.

http://search.bbc.co.uk/click/p/1/ds/pkg_tvradio/t/Newsnight/id/17231394216771279382495150263600000/sp/72906c05fe5ede3e9aab325f05dd0c5d/-/http%253a%252f%252fwww%252ebbc%252eco%252euk%252fiplayer%252fepisode%252fb00t3cmr%252fNewsnight%255f16%255f07%255f2010%252f

Can't see it, the British State TV is not available outside UK borders

Alpine, you should see the amount of conspiracy theories at play on this issue at abovetopsecret.com

I have some BP shares but don't know how they will perform in the future, my guess is that the arab deal will go through, Obama has more saber rattling to do to appease voters and BP will make money again in the next few years

Alpine, you should see the amount of conspiracy theories at play on this issue at abovetopsecret.com

I have some BP shares but don't know how they will perform in the future, my guess is that the arab deal will go through, Obama has more saber rattling to do to appease voters and BP will make money again in the next few years

The latest speculation is that BP will restructure and sell off its filling stations.

No the real number was 11 fatalities and approx 17 others injured. And as for you original post, there is no conspiracy theory as such, also bear in mind that the oil companies were encouraged to develop deep water licensed blocks at the expense of the more easily developed shallow water blocks, for fear of environmental damage believe it or not. And another thing worth considering is that the people who are so against oil production in the GOM seem to have no concerns about the amount of tankers arriving in America full of crude on a daily basis, as long as there are no nasty oil platforms in sight. A friend of mine who stays in Florida, and another in Louisiana have both expressed the view that there is next to no crude oil being washed up on the beaches, and to some extent Tony Hayward was correct in saying that in relation to the size of the ocean the leak is relatively small. Bp are also being takenn advantage of in litigious America, some claims have been received bytheir equivalent of the RSPCA, for having to look after animals whose owners have lost their income as a result of th spill.

Having worked on several BP platforms in the UK, I would say they have a safety problem in their organisation in that they have a good safety mangement system if followed correctly, however on several occasions this has been found not to be the case, at the end of the day that comes down to individuals decisions not to follow safety standards, and does not come from pressure applied by management.

Quelle Surprise.

BP sell $7bn of assets and the buyers are all American. Its like Lend-Lease all over again.

Oh, and Congress wants to pass a law banning companies where more than 10 men have been killed on their rigs, from deep sea drilling.

Fascinating. What a coincidence that this only applies to BP after...oh yes, 11 fatalities...

Apparently Occidental (an American company) doesnt count because Piper Alpha was outside US waters...