Kitchen Part 3

Dr Who?

Good work. Be good to see some photos of work in progress. TBH, it won't be til you get a lick of paint on them walls that the real test of your plastering comes into play, hopefully it stands up.

Yeah I would do but do not have a photobucket account to upload on here. I might start one up. I tell you what I thought I had done a great job, but now I have this image (which I will not be putting on photobucket) of the plaster coming tumbling down when I paint it!!

I've fitted kitchens. Love tiling too. DIY is my ' thing'. Gives me a real buzz finishing a job.

Good luck, where do you buy your tools, always buy the best you can afford.

Did not fit the kitchen, but someone else did it this time last year. Really into DIY at the moment as I know you can save money rather than pay for labour. I know that something is likely to go wrong at some point, but you learn from it and move on.

Only really go to B&Q and Wickes as they are near by, and to be fair I try and spend as little as possible or it would defeat the whole object of the exercise, to save money.

Really enjoying it though.

False economy, no disrespect.

Buy your tools for life. A good drill, set of screwdrivers, work mate (best tool ever), saw, tale measure (measure twice -= cut once), spirit level (with spare bubbles).

Don't neglect your paintbrushes, B&Q sell a range of German ones which leave a nice smooth finish.

Yeah I would do but do not have a photobucket account to upload on here. I might start one up. I tell you what I thought I had done a great job, but now I have this image (which I will not be putting on photobucket) of the plaster coming tumbling down when I paint it!!

Download gyazo. Great for quickly printscreening stuff and giving it a link.

False economy, no disrespect.

Buy your tools for life. A good drill, set of screwdrivers, work mate (best tool ever), saw, tale measure (measure twice -= cut once), spirit level (with spare bubbles).

Don't neglect your paintbrushes, B&Q sell a range of German ones which leave a nice smooth finish.

This. Being a tradesmen obviously I'm biased but you just know a cheap tool the moment you pick it up.

In fact, I just cleared out my workshop and have binned about 50 kilos of old tools and nuts, bolts, screws etc. I'm a terrible hoarder and had kept all of my old cheapy kit.

Bent, broke, rusty and generally useless, I have no idea why I kept them. My mantra which I learnt from my dad WAS it'll come in handy one day, total ******** of course.

Also, my bonfire of offcuts that may come in handy one day, is still smouldering 2 days after I lit it.

Only really go to B&Q and Wickes as they are near by, and to be fair I try and spend as little as possible or it would defeat the whole object of the exercise, to save money.

Really enjoying it though.

Quick tip re B&Q. If you know someone over 60, ask them to get a Diamond Card, they get 10% off on Wednesdays. I saved a small fortune by taking my old man to B&Q on a Wed evening & benifiting from his discount. ;)

I still have the socket set I bought for tinkering with my first motorbike 30 years ago. Kamasa. Lost 2 sockets over the years but apart from that as good as the day I bought it.

No matter what your other half says, you DO need more than drill, I'd go as far as to say 3 minimum; Cordless, corded, SDS. A spare cordless to save having to keep changing bits is a good idea on all but the smallest jobs ime too.

Same applies to Paints, Glues, Fillers, Grouts, Screws, Rawlplugs etc.

I put up some Aquaboard in the bathroom as the render on the solid walls looked like it might not poke up with any seepage through the tiles. I started off with plasplugs, what a pile of shiny s***. Ended up shelling out a little more on Fischer plugs wow what a difference.

I still have the socket set I bought for tinkering with my first motorbike 30 years ago. Kamasa. Lost 2 sockets over the years but apart from that as good as the day I bought it.

No matter what your other half says, you DO need more than drill, I'd go as far as to say 3 minimum; Cordless, corded, SDS. A spare cordless to save having to keep changing bits is a good idea on all but the smallest jobs ime too.

I bought my Kamasa socket set in the old tool & army surplus shop down St Mary's Street when I got my first motorbike in the late '60's. It's still going (athough some sockets are worn out) - pity it's AF and not metric!

I bought a Bosch cordless multifunction tool before Christmas - a bit pricey but this has got to be one the most useful bits of kit I have ever bought. I was looking for something to grind out grout in a shower and the guy in the shop showed me this, demonstrated it (that's how to sell something) and I was hooked. It does so much more than grind out grout!! It also cuts wood, metal in the tightest of corners

I bought a Bosch cordless multifunction tool before Christmas - a bit pricey but this has got to be one the most useful bits of kit I have ever bought. I was looking for something to grind out grout in a shower and the guy in the shop showed me this, demonstrated it (that's how to sell something) and I was hooked. It does so much more than grind out grout!! It also cuts wood, metal in the tightest of corners

The 10.8v?

Any 'tradesman' who uses 'tradesman' paint is a charlatan IMHO.

My Dad use to sell paint to the trade, in industrial volumes, the amount of times he would have specifiers on the phone maligning his paints opacity only after a trip to the lab for the report to come back and say the paint on the wall had been diluted with water by the contractor to the point of it being a surprise that it was on the wall at all.

My Dad use to sell paint to the trade, in industrial volumes, the amount of times he would have specifiers on the phone maligning his paints opacity only after a trip to the lab for the report to come back and say the paint on the wall had been diluted with water by the contractor to the point of it being a surprise that it was on the wall at all.

:) Is quite a common occurrance, either through thinning out the paint or toshing out a wall before the plaster has dried properly. Poor old brush always ends up putting on another coat or two.