Use of the word Militant to described Muslim terror groups

mightysaints

I cannot understand how Boko in Nigeria, Al Shabab in eastern Africa and ISIS in the Middle east can be called militants. They are terrorist organisations. Its driving me mad that all these groups are carrying out heinous crimes against fellow human beings and the media call them all Militants. The IRA and the other and other organisations in NI were described in all media as terrorist groups, surely the Muslims groups are terrorist as well.

Well according to Oxford: 'Militant: Favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause'

Seems accurate to me. Perhaps it's your own interpretation of the word that is causing the problem, not their use of it?

I'm sure all the Iraqis who've suffered Western aggression felt pretty terrified. Assuming of course, they lived.

If the West is so bad why do they all want to come here and live, all I ask was what's the difference between the IRA and Al Shabab and you come back with the sort of comment I will expect from a lefty liberal do gooder. More Iraqis have died at the hands of fellow Iraqis than anyone else. Shia and Sunnis arguing over who should have taken over from Mohammed for hundred of years and killing over it. Madness.

If the West is so bad why do they all want to come here and live, all I ask was what's the difference between the IRA and Al Shabab and you come back with the sort of comment I will expect from a lefty liberal do gooder. More Iraqis have died at the hands of fellow Iraqis than anyone else. Shia and Sunnis arguing over who should have taken over from Mohammed for hundred of years and killing over it. Madness.

The point is that terror is terror, irrespective of the agents doing the terrorising.

Maybe you disagree. Perhaps you believe that Boko kidnapping kids is more terrifying than Western forces murdering them. I'd say that's a more important consideration than semantics.

Who is 'they' in your scenario? You do realise that not all Iraqis think the same way don't you?

They don't. They want to live in their own country in peace, just like 99.99% of the rest of the population of the planet.

If the West is so bad why do they all want to come here and live, all I ask was what's the difference between the IRA and Al Shabab and you come back with the sort of comment I will expect from a lefty liberal do gooder.

Thanks for outing yourself.

To answer your question, use of the term has (rightly) been tightened by broadcasters. It is highly, highly loaded. Newspapers are still more liberal in their use.

Edited by DuncanRG

I cannot understand how Boko in Nigeria, Al Shabab in eastern Africa and ISIS in the Middle east can be called militants. They are terrorist organisations. Its driving me mad that all these groups are carrying out heinous crimes against fellow human beings and the media call them all Militants. The IRA and the other and other organisations in NI were described in all media as terrorist groups, surely the Muslims groups are terrorist as well.

I must say I also find this hard to comprehend, though it must come down to the need to stereotype groups for the audience to differentiate. Militants, militia, separatists, factions, ultimately they are terror groups. I agree that some of these labels can have a legitimising effect, which is wrong.

The ISIS situation is a violent fall out between two groups of muslims, shia and shiite, though islam being the religion of peace I am willing to bet a bacon sandwich that they will resolve their differences amicably.

Saying that, even the Buddhist Monks are kicking off now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22356306

Journalist term for an organisation that is working for western interests:

ISIS consists of about 5,000 personnel who were trained in Turkey and financed via proxy organisations by the US and Arab states.

http://journal-neo.org/2014/06/13/nato-s-terror-hordes-in-iraq-a-pretext-for-syria-invasion/

Boko Haram were formed, trained and financed by the US for destabilising the Nigerian government. (source: wikileaks)

Journalist term for an organisation that is working for western interests:

ISIS consists of about 5,000 personnel who were trained in Turkey and financed via proxy organisations by the US and Arab states.

http://journal-neo.org/2014/06/13/nato-s-terror-hordes-in-iraq-a-pretext-for-syria-invasion/

Boko Haram were formed, trained and financed by the US for destabilising the Nigerian government. (source: wikileaks)

Interesting; not surprising. The rebels in Syria are similarly supported; the situation there must provide ample cover for operations.

On Nigeria; there have been a lot of questions raised lately about unpaid remittances and subsidies.

http://newtelegraphonline.com/49-8bn-missing-oil-fund-panels-verdict-dissenting-voices/