Net spend over the last 2 season's transfer windows.

cobbysouth

These working may not be 100% accurate, there's a lot of variables to take into account like sell on fees and the prices aren't always given accurately but it paints fairly obvious picture.

2017/18

Summer

In

Mario lemina -15m

Hoedt -15

Bednarek -5

Out

Jay Rodriguez +12m

January

In

Guido carrillo -20 m

Out

Vvd +75 m

Total +32m profit

2016/17

Summer

In

Redmond -10m

Hojbjerg -12m

McCarthy -4m

Boufal -16m

Out

Pelle +13m

Wanyama +12m

Mane +34m

Juanmi +4m

January

In

Gabbiadini -14m

Out

Fonte +8m

Total +15m profit

Grand total +£47 million

I know some people are intent on believing the money we get from tv rights, tickets, merchandise, food and alcohol etc. Is all 100% reinvested into wages and other costs but if so then how did any team cope before the tv rights skyrocketed. If we assume over the last 2 season's we've also made a £50m profit from those sources then it does seem like someone's pocketed over a quarter of the club's value. As I said please forgive any crude workings out, it's not that easy to take everything in to account.

I think the financials have shown that we pay a lot more for players and get far less on sales than the newspaper and club alludes to and reports.

Absolutely criminal that we have actually spent more than we've received yet sold everyone with any talent past 3-4 years.

The Les Reed legacy

one of the excuses given for not spending more or even as much as we get is that we factor in wages to the cost of the transfer. What they fail to mention is that when a player is sold they also go off the wage bill. Yes we might have signed a few players on reasonable wages but we've also sold most of our big earners over the past few seasons. Then we have the ridiculous situation where we baulk at paying the going rate for proven premier league players but are happy to hand out contracts not far off £50k a week to players like Stephens and Targett who are simply not good enough to be first choice premier league players. Then there is Forester, handed an extension and a payrise only a year after having one. Our wage bill might have gone up over the last few seasons but it's because we're paying the poorer players more, not because we're bringing in better quality.

These working may not be 100% accurate, there's a lot of variables to take into account like sell on fees and the prices aren't always given accurately but it paints fairly obvious picture.

2017/18

Summer

In

Mario lemina -15m

Hoedt -15

Bednarek -5

Out

Jay Rodriguez +12m

January

In

Guido carrillo -20 m

Out

Vvd +75 m

Total +32m profit

2016/17

Summer

In

Redmond -10m

Hojbjerg -12m

McCarthy -4m

Boufal -16m

Out

Pelle +13m

Wanyama +12m

Mane +34m

Juanmi +4m

January

In

Gabbiadini -14m

Out

Fonte +8m

Total +15m profit

Grand total +£47 million

I know some people are intent on believing the money we get from tv rights, tickets, merchandise, food and alcohol etc. Is all 100% reinvested into wages and other costs but if so then how did any team cope before the tv rights skyrocketed. If we assume over the last 2 season's we've also made a £50m profit from those sources then it does seem like someone's pocketed over a quarter of the club's value. As I said please forgive any crude workings out, it's not that easy to take everything in to account.

The one thing you are forgetting to take into account is that transfers - in and out - are usually spread over 3 to 5 years. So your £47m profit over 2 seasons probably relates to something like £9-12m per year. And most of that would have been wiped out if the Promes signing had gone through.

Then again we would probably still be receiving - and making - payments from the previous 2 or 3 seasons as well in that period.

Impossible to say for sure without seeing the full accounts but one thing IS for sure - no-one, not even an owner, can simply "pocket" £1 , let alone £50m , from a limited company without it appearing in the audited accounts somewhere.

The one thing you are forgetting to take into account is that transfers - in and out - are usually spread over 3 to 5 years. So your £47m profit over 2 seasons probably relates to something like £9-12m per year. And most of that would have been wiped out if the Promes signing had gone through.

Then again we would probably still be receiving - and making - payments from the previous 2 or 3 seasons as well in that period.

Impossible to say for sure without seeing the full accounts but one thing IS for sure - no-one, not even an owner, can simply "pocket" £1 , let alone £50m , from a limited company without it appearing in the audited accounts somewhere.

All good points, and then there's the pesky agents to pay, signing on fees, 'loyalty' bonuses to outgoing players etc.

I think you're 100% right, although spreading payments over multiple years shouldn't be taken into consideration as basically all incoming and outgoings do this, it spreads it all out.

I did say that it's basically impossible to work these things out accurately with so many extra fees, clauses, sign on fees, wages, etc.

And what I'm not implying led reed or mr gao is literally taking money out of the club. I'm just frustrated, perhaps every other premier league club is reinvesting from player sales and some of the money from the tv rights, merchandising, ticket sales, advertising. I'm fine with our club not running like Chelsea and taking tons of abramovich money. What I can't stand is there is obvious holes here. I worry that this money is going to be spent on refurbishing the area around st marys and will be spent turning our club into more business, less football team.

Wasn't Portsmouth a limited company?

Grand total +£47 million

Firstly, this is slightly selective as it forgets the summer of discontent.

Secondly. you've done it now... Don't you understand? It was all Cortese's fault!!

We never had one of the lowest wage structures in the league, lowest agent spends, and this never coincided with rocketing tv money's.... We were skint, massively out of our depth and on the precipice too financial ruin.

Les and Ralph were forced to step in and save us... by destroying the legacy of the promotion seasons (whilst conveniently taking the credit for our rise - whilst blaming cortese for everything bad). They sold our stars, sold our kids, lost our managers... and totally destroyed the fans connection to the team.

And despite all this, they arrogantly shouted from the rooftops about how amazing we (they) were, how we were better than the leicesters and swanseas of this world (both won trophies I might add)... and still.... the Reedists in the fabnase would lambust anyone who raised their voice in concern. So, you get what we have now, just far far far too late for the fans to do anything about it.

Of course, that could all be hore****e and we are in fact on the edge of financial ruin and demotion.

Edited by Saint86

Secondly. you've done it now... Don't you understand? It was all Cortese's fault!!

We never had one of the lowest wage structures in the league, lowest agent spends, and this never coincided with rocketing tv money's.... We were skint, massively out of our depth and on the precipice too financial ruin.

Les and Ralph were forced to step in and save us... by destroying the legacy of the promotion seasons (whilst conveniently taking the credit for our rise - whilst blaming cortese for everything bad). They sold our stars, sold our kids, lost our managers... and totally destroyed the fans connection to the team.

And despite all this, they arrogantly shouted from the rooftops about how amazing we (they) were, how we were better than the leicesters and swanseas of this world (both won trophies I might add)... and still.... the Reedists in the fabnase would lambust anyone who raised their voice in concern. So, you get what we have now, just far far far too late for the fans to do anything about it.

Of course, that could all be hore****e and we are in fact on the edge of financial ruin and demotion.

And your point is??

I really don't understand what you're trying to argue mate. Did your beliefs changes mid typing?

Jan 2005 sitting in the relegation zone we sold our most valuable player at 26 years old James Beattie to Everton (in Liverpool) for £60m+ net (after payments to Celtic). We then invested only £2m on players to keep us up and made a profit of £4m in that transfer window.

Jan 2018 sitting in the relegation zone we sold our most valuable player at 26 years old Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool for £60m+ net (after payments to Celtic). We then invested only £20m on players to keep us up and made a profit of £40m+ in that transfer window.

Add a zero and 13 years later Les and the Board replicate Rupert Lowe's approach to avoiding relegation.

Edited by Topcat