Red Dead Redemption

thesaint sfc

Okay - I am tempted with this one. Looks brill, and who doesn't want to play at cowboys.

Trouble is I thought GTA4 was over-hyped, and average at best. Loved some of the earlier GTA games, but the last one.....just could not get on with it at all. Would not say it was ****e, but it got traded back to Game pretty quickly.

So....how does the gameplay of RDR compare? Think I'll like it?

BTW, my fave game of the past few years was Oblivion. Free ranging, loads of missions, good storyline, great graphics, violence! Which seems to sound a bit like RDR........

Okay - I am tempted with this one. Looks brill, and who doesn't want to play at cowboys.

Trouble is I thought GTA4 was over-hyped, and average at best. Loved some of the earlier GTA games, but the last one.....just could not get on with it at all. Would not say it was ****e, but it got traded back to Game pretty quickly.

BTW, my fave game of the past few years was Oblivion. Free ranging, loads of missions, good storyline, great graphics, violence! Which seems to sound a bit like RDR........

This is going back to San Andreas a bit, but not enough IMO. It's a great game - but still not good enough IMO. San Andreas was just soooooo good.

Just got to Mexico, this game is awesome.

Someone told me there are grizzly bears in this game somewhere, anyone encountered one?

Supposedly they're in the northeastern part of the map which is unlocked later on in the story... I'm at a similar stage to you so haven't met the grizzlies yet. Looking forward to taking them on!

Well I went to gamestation yesterday and traded in GTA4 (which I thought was alright) and Skate 2 (which was utter utter ****) and by complete luck found out you get an extra fiver off when you buy RDR with 2 games traded in...top top it off I got the last copy of the game in stock- I couldn't beleive my luck!

Anyway, I've only played it for about an hour so far but am bored already. Shooting rabbits, herding cows and catching horses isn't exactly hugely exciting. I assume it will pick up later in the game so will give it another bash later tonight.

It also takes too long to get places by horse.

Well I went to gamestation yesterday and traded in GTA4 (which I thought was alright) and Skate 2 (which was utter utter ****) and by complete luck found out you get an extra fiver off when you buy RDR with 2 games traded in...top top it off I got the last copy of the game in stock- I couldn't beleive my luck!

Anyway, I've only played it for about an hour so far but am bored already. Shooting rabbits, herding cows and catching horses isn't exactly hugely exciting. I assume it will pick up later in the game so will give it another bash later tonight.

How so? :smt101

The bits you dont like are just the tutorials - missions to teach you the controls etc. Get past that and it gets much better.

As for getting around quicker, there are trains, stagecoaches and you can make camps to help with that.

Just got to Mexico, this game is awesome.

Someone told me there are grizzly bears in this game somewhere, anyone encountered one?

Yep, don't let one creep up behind you or you're for it. Shoot them loads as well. Get lots of cash for them though.

Bit annoying that you can't fast travel between America and Mexico unless you set a way point.

Yeah, but once you start doing that its pretty easy.

I always set a waypoint just before i get onto the stagecoach for exactly where i want to go, this includes bounty targets etc.

The game though is epic, though once i complete it i can't see it having much more life for me, and for that reason i am trying to complete as quick as poss so i can sell for as near to what i paid as possible.

Nearly finished Mexico now, i won't spoil anything for anyone that hasn't got here so far but it is pretty brutal. :smt038

Just finished the storyline missions. Very good ending. My only complaint is that many of the missions were very similar (ride on your horse, shoot a gang of bad guys in the countryside, ride home) - some more town shootouts would've added a bit of variety in my opinion. Otherwise a very enjoyable game.

Just finished the storyline missions. Very good ending. My only complaint is that many of the missions were very similar (ride on your horse, shoot a gang of bad guys in the countryside, ride home) - some more town shootouts would've added a bit of variety in my opinion. Otherwise a very enjoyable game.

I'm starting to enjoy it a bit more now. Although I'm getting bored of the story and just skip through them now and just complete the missions after. As far as I'm concerned I buy games to play them...not to watch as if its a movie.

Quite enjoy playing the online games now too!

One thing that disappoints me is how you leave characters behind in the game. I miss bonnie and Landon Ricketts :(

You can find out additional information by buying newspapers in the game... I bought one for the first time after completing the storyline and it contained information on Landon.

yeah, took me ages to find him. basically hes at greenwater or summin (indicated on map). but what you have to do, instead of searching for him is kill all the boars there until he shows up. that's what worked for me.

I did that till the point of running out of weapons & started killing them with the knife, He still didn't show up.

Just finished the storyline, gutted at how it ends. That last shoot off where you walk out the barn is epic though, I was determined to kill every single one of them.

Also, anyone recognise the spot where the storyline ends / postgame begins? It's the same spot you see the "I know you" stranger for the last time. Creepy or what...

Edited by Saint_clark

Actually forget that.

Here is a video where you can see them working side by side

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=8X271DTsH_g&start1=0&video2=2wge2EVB3wE&start2=0&authorName=hanmik

The difference in them moving is barely noticable. Think i will stick with my PS3 version because i will not pay to play online!

Refusing to pay £3.33 a month for an online service that is 1,000,000 times better than the freebie Playstation Network is ridiculous.

Oh and the reason the PS3 is so **** is that it's easier to code for the 360 whereas the PS3 is notorious for being a bit of a pig to program for, hence slight disparancies in the PS3 version.

Thank you, good night, much love.

Edited by BlakeySFC

Refusing to pay £3.33 a month for an online service that is 1,000,000 times better than the freebie Playstation Network is ridiculous.

Oh and the reason the PS3 is so **** is that it's easier to code for the 360 whereas the PS3 is notorious for being a bit of a pig to program for, hence slight disparancies in the PS3 version.

Thank you, good night, much love.

Console snobbery is a bit gay really, and to be honest the online modes for both aren't a lot different.

I, and nobody i know, have ever had any problems playing ps3 online, what exactly do you get for paying the extra on 360 ??

Add to that the 'hidden' costs of bringing the xbox up to the same level as the ps3 and you will find the xbox is actually more expensive !!

I am also looking forward to sony releasing the 3d firmware update in a few weeks, something microsoft is not looking at.

What point are you up to right now? The ending is outstanding.

I've just got to Blackwater, done about 3 missions there but am now focusing on the challenges and trying to get them done. Trying to put off the ending a bit, as you do, but yeh, don't give it away!

I've just got to Blackwater, done about 3 missions there but am now focusing on the challenges and trying to get them done. Trying to put off the ending a bit, as you do, but yeh, don't give it away!

I'll be honest the ending isn't very far off once you reach Blackwater. And you can still do everything after the ending with the exception of the "I know you" stranger missions.

I'll be honest the ending isn't very far off once you reach Blackwater. And you can still do everything after the ending with the exception of the "I know you" stranger missions.

You can carry on doing the stranger missions, just not the one called 'I know you', which I've already done anyway. I like to leave the story to be one of the very last things I do.

You can carry on doing the stranger missions, just not the one called 'I know you', which I've already done anyway. I like to leave the story to be one of the very last things I do.

As I said ;)