Newspaper Match Reports

Saint Martini

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/15/championship.qpr

Quite a balanced view from the Guardian. Got it spot in IMHO.

LOL I loved the 'putting up shelves to balance the books' . here's the Times' article for those who want it. It's alwasy interesting to see match from a different viewpoint.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article4753697.ece

It doesn't but maybe it should give some of the people shouting for manager changes etc. some perspective. What we need now is a calm club, not one in turmoil. Just look at Newcastle atm to see what that does to a club.

Only one perspective that counts: Ranking in the table.

We didn't defend well enough

You can say that again. In all honesty, we could easily have let in 10 goals in the last two matches. It's all very well us playing pretty football for spells, but it counts for nothing when the opposition can then cut through us like a knife through butter.

Should alter people's outlook for future games though. If we'd been battered from start to finish with 11 men and shown no quality I'd be dreading the rest of the season, but that wasn't the case at all. For large parts, even with 10 men we played with as much quality as a rich team hoping to go up. We didn't defend well enough, had ten men and had very little luck on the day, but it happens. I really don't think we'll be losing by scores like that very often. In terms of heavy defeats, it was an absolute world away from the 4-1 and 5-1s under GB last season where it was uncommitted clueless football from start to finish.

The second goal was fundamental. We had played our way back into the game, equalized and were playing well with 10 men. After the second goal with 30 mins left we had to chase the game leaving gaps against two fresh strikers. The linesman needs retraining and be made to watch the goal followed by his shaking his head live on tv and explain precisely what he saw.

Only one perspective that counts: Ranking in the table.

How sad it must be to follow a team and to adopt a constantly negative attitude unless it is topping the table. The table only matters on the last day of the season, and we all know where the team was at KO on the last day last year - and that it was other team's results that kept us up, so there's plenty of scope to improve on that.

We now have a squad with promise that is not being outplayed and was not outplayed on Sunday. Poor refereeing decisions and off-side goals happen, but over the season they will even out. The club is fighting hard and it deserves more supportive fans than people whose comments are virtually always negative, but fortunately, those at the QPR game kept up their support right to the final whistle.

I was just about to post a link to the Daily Mail match report as the one I read in the newspaper this morning was pretty favourable to us but their on-line match report is written by someone else and is much more scathing of us.

Stating the obvious but if one newspaper can report two completely different interpretations of the same game then it cements the fact that newspaper reports are 99% blind opinion and 1% fact.

Fact.

I was just about to post a link to the Daily Mail match report as the one I read in the newspaper this morning was pretty favourable to us but their on-line match report is written by someone else and is much more scathing of us.

Stating the obvious but if one newspaper can report two completely different interpretations of the same game then it cements the fact that newspaper reports are 99% blind opinion and 1% fact.

Fact.

Many years ago there was a reporter who used to spend the afternoon in the pub instead of going to the match at Highbury. He would write his match report after listening to the fans who came in after the game.

Allegedly