Would now be a good time to buy shares?

saint_stevo

it will get worse before it gets better - more financial institutions to go - followed by other businesses related to the financial industry. Give it a few more months and then it might be worthwhile. Just glad I am not retiring in the next few years - anyone with pension funds in stocks must be covering their eyes!

well just keep an eye on whats going on - I may be wrong but I dont see a recovery anytime soon. You might make some money in non financials. Their stocks will slide with the market on the whole so you may find some bargains that way.

The housing market is not expected to start recovery until spring of 2010 so until then banks are going to see over exposure to mortgage debt - repossessions will go up. I would think property at that point or slightly before would be a good investment.

I would keep my money in a savings account/isas until there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Energy isn't that great - yes if you want to wait for dividends, no if you are looking at share prices. Most Oil, Gas, and Electricity shares are trading a little above the low point for the year - does that mean they are in recovery - maybe. Does it mean they are going to fall some more - maybe. Right now you may as well put a few quid on Ronaldo being the top premiership scorer - he might, he might not.

Buy some Southampton Leisure holdings stock; I hear they are going places.

Seriously, UKPLC is a no. AIG/HBOS is a big ****ing no. I have FTSE 5000 puts which I'm holding onto right now.

If you can, buy silver. I will buy oil at $85 and would sell at $125.

Apart from that all cash at the moment, apart from Transocean (RIG), a US oil drilling company.

My partner and myself have just exchanged on a house here in Spain at 175,000 euros less than the banks estimate! It is a repossession and this is where to put your money at the moment! The crisis isn't affecting Spain as much as we thought it would. (yet!) We are slightly protected here by the eurobore. (sp?) Mind you he does work for a mortgage company that is still putting through at least 20/30 mortgages a month just here in Spain and they also operate in 12 other countries! So I advise to put any spare cash in a repossessed property if you can get hold of them and rent it! If you cant get hold of them then I will put you in contact with them!

Found a LSE listed stock I'm interested in.

Ryanair.

Assuming they can ride out the storm, I'd agree. Plenty of low-cost alternatives are going to hit the wall in the next year or so, by the look of things, which will leave Ryanair and easyJet, I guess. They've generally been the main ones anyway, but they'll probably be the only ones left in the not-too-distant future.

Assuming they can ride out the storm, I'd agree. Plenty of low-cost alternatives are going to hit the wall in the next year or so, by the look of things, which will leave Ryanair and easyJet, I guess. They've generally been the main ones anyway, but they'll probably be the only ones left in the not-too-distant future.

You've forgotten our sponsor.

about 9 years ago I did a defence and political paper within the MoD and the guy taking our classes was a former bigwig in the intelligence branch in the RAF....he told us a top tip.....buy as many shares as poss in a russian gas company called Gazprom (sp) as they will take off..

of course we thought he was joking as russia at that time was still very much broke..

how much did we get that wrong..:smt118

It's Britain. We are an overpopulated land mass, so property pressure is always there to a greater or lesser extent. If you can afford it, buy into it. It's a straight forward investment, and it almost never fails. Even people who are in negative equity, if they can just wait, will find themselves in profit eventually, and the return is almost always worth it.