Lib Dems headed for government

TopGun

If only all the people who don't vote Lib Dem "because they'll never get in" actually did vote for them, I reckon they'd win by a landslide.

Not necessarily. The first past the post voting system disadvantages them as they simply don't have enough solid first choice support in enough constituencies. At a general election (though not a bye election as we have seen recently) both Labour and Conservative have many more natural seats than the LDs who basically suffer from a lack of identifying ideology, an ideology that would enable them to also have as many natural seats.

Not necessarily. The first past the post voting system disadvantages them as they simply don't have enough solid first choice support in enough constituencies. At a general election (though not a bye election as we have seen recently) both Labour and Conservative have many more natural seats than the LDs who basically suffer from a lack of identifying ideology, an ideology that would enable them to also have as many natural seats.

That's their biggest problem IMO. A lot of what they say appeals to a long-time leftie like me but the problem is they appear to change their tune depending on current events - bandwagoners of the highest order.

I remember in years gone by, when I was a very active member of Eastleigh Labour Party, how one LD councillor would say one thing and another LD would spout opposite opinions at the hustings.

If I knew where they stood on every issue I might consider voting for them (added bonus - I'd be voting against one D. Chameleon in my constituency). At least I recognise and reject the basic 'principles' of the Tories - look after the rich and sod the rest.

With the Libs I'm not so sure.

Well certainly the PR system would favour them. It was meant as a slightly flippant comment as there's no possible way of knowing how many people 'would' vote Lib Dem if all the other people who 'would' vote Lib Dem actually did. Just seems to me that among my circle of aquaintances, from vox pops on the news, even people on here one often hears that comment... 'I'd vote for them but they'll never get in/it'd be a wasted vote' so they end up swinging between Labour and Tory and hating them both.

I think the age of the traditional Labour/Tory voter is dying out, and to an extent the safe seat is going with them. And a good thing too. It's not like picking a football team, you're not stuck with them for life. You get to pick the party/candidate who's policies and views best resemble your own and that's extremely likely not to be the same party/candidate for your entire voting life.

Being Lib Dem it will take him an hour to decide what to have and then he will have what the Tory in front of him in the queue chose.

Actually, I went for traditional Chinese Dim Sum (including Chicken's Feet, which were awesome) and there were no Tories in sight.

I fear I've probably addressed the least important issue on this thread, mind!

Liverpool's councill voted worst in the country last year and it was Lib Dem. Im afraid they're a weak party which likes to say it will make Britain better but when given small opportunities, it fails.

Actually, that isn't true at all. And the way the system works, despite the fact the Council got top marks in a number of categories, they got a black spot for finance, which is still a carry over from years of Labour.

It may interest you to know that the Lib Dems run more city Councils than any other political party. Of course, you will pick the one with a small black mark next to it's name, but I do wonder how thorough your research is in: Newcastle, Sheffield, Watford, Burnley etc etc etc.

Sorry but their Pro-EU stance puts me off them, they'd sail us down the Euro/EU-treaty sign up faster than Usain Bolt doing the 100mtrs! So no way i'd vote for them! :(

In defence of the LDs and Bungle, one of their conference decisions this week was to state that the UK is not is an advantageous position to enter the Euro right now. More research required SES! ;)

Personally, I don't know why they have come to that conclusion, it seems to me that with the current financial sector chaos affecting the US and UK particularly, those nations using the Euro are in a relatively good position because of strength of numbers, diversity of GDP and being less reliant overall on financial services as economies! Not what I would call a brave decision by the LDs at all!

Edited by TopGun

Not rocket science is it though BTF? It's saying those with a fear of the unknown tend to be more right wing as voters!

There was a famous study conducted in the '80s that concluded that when the good times roll and society becomes more liberal, Labour tends to benefit. One of its measures was on fashionable length of skirts - when mini skirts and other sexy clothing are in Labour is in the ascendency; when its knee length time, the Tories win. By voting Labour I hope I can force mini skirts into fashion! ;)

In defence of the LDs and Bungle, one of their conference decisions this week was to state that the UK is not is an advantageous position to enter the Euro right now. More research required SES! ;)

Personally, I don't know why they have come to that conclusion, it seems to me that with the current financial sector chaos affecting the US and UK particularly, those nations using the Euro are in a relatively good position because of strength of numbers, diversity of GDP and being less reliant overall on financial services as economies! Not what I would call a brave decision by the LDs at all!

Sorry TOPGUN but politicians spout more sh*te than a cow with the runs!;) So more research needed and not so guilible TG! ;) Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE