Battlefield Bad Company 2 Video.....wow

St Marco

If that is true, I just own3d myself. But I wouldn't have thought so. I think its just a generic cheat type thingee. I don't like AK-47 that much anyway, damn ruskies.

lol think you have just own3d yourself.....matey next to me pre-ordered on PC and has a different code...

So how have you guys been getting on in it?

I think the game has more of those laugh your ass off momments then i have seen in other games. Like seeing bad guys on the roofs then shooting the walls out from under him and watch him fall through the roof, funny as feck.

Or the little convos the squads have when your idle. Like when they are in bolivia and the dumb one says "so sarge are your people from here then?" thought that convo was classic.

So how have you guys been getting on in it?

I think the game has more of those laugh your ass off momments then i have seen in other games. Like seeing bad guys on the roofs then shooting the walls out from under him and watch him fall through the roof, funny as feck.

Or the little convos the squads have when your idle. Like when they are in bolivia and the dumb one says "so sarge are your people from here then?" thought that convo was classic.

Its not a WW1/2 game mate. That is just a story prologue.

As i said before the single player is just a sort of bonus, Dice don't normally bother with them. In comparison to their other single player campaigns it is a huge improvement.

The multi-player is where it is at, that is what the game is/was designed for, Dice are the best in the business for that. Personally i think the Multi-player kills MW2's.

I think a game basing itself on the multiplayer mode is just pure laziness IMO. The whole amazing thing about MW2 was that it had an amazing, thrilling storyline. If they just made a good game and then threw it at your feet so you could just go and shoot people its just pure laziness. Its like Americas Army - amazing graphics and gameplay - but no story line at all. I'm disappointed. Gameplay in this is nowhere near as good as MW2. You run past a tree with a tiny branch sticking out of the side and you get stuck behind the branch and have to step past it!

I think a game basing itself on the multiplayer mode is just pure laziness IMO. The whole amazing thing about MW2 was that it had an amazing, thrilling storyline. If they just made a good game and then threw it at your feet so you could just go and shoot people its just pure laziness. Its like Americas Army - amazing graphics and gameplay - but no story line at all. I'm disappointed. Gameplay in this is nowhere near as good as MW2. You run past a tree with a tiny branch sticking out of the side and you get stuck behind the branch and have to step past it!

The thing with Dice mate is they are very similar to Valve and how they are set up. They are pioneers of internet gaming so don't really have any interest in single player games. To use Valve as an example they basically started the whole net squad thing with counterstrike. That didn't have a single player story with it, neither did Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Deathmatch etc etc. After the sucess of those games the online gaming world boomed.

Dice took it to a different level by making the Battlefield series. The first one was hugely succesful because it was different to everything else that was out there by concentrating on realism and tactical team play based around vehicles. They then made BF2 which is one of the best rated and best selling games of all time. These games however were on the PC, they had no real desire to go on to consoles. The same can be said of Valve and Half-Life 2. But they did it anyway.

Modern Warfare is a rip off of the battlefield series but missing a few key things such as vehicles and making the game a lot faster and a lot easier to do. It is what is known as a "run and gun" game. Which basically means what it says. Battlefield series is about realism but more importantly about realisng your life is worth something. In MW you run in and die, respawn, run in dies etc.. The guys who shoot the most people = win. Not the point of the BF series. If you die your ticker decays, if you lose strategic points you lose abilities i.e vehicles or respawn points. If you lose your re-spawn points and then die you lose. Anyone can play MW2 and be semi good at it. My gf even played it and didn't do so bad.

Where as BF requires a lot of thinking and far better decision making.

So in terms of the single player that is not really why people have bought it, it is not why it has good reviews and why it has now sold millions in its 1st week. It is because the Battlefield series has a huge fan base who enjoy the multi-player side of the games. The first Bad Company didn't feel right, it seemed like a miss mash of other games, not really a BF game. So those buying BC2 are not buying it to play a single player game they are buying it because they know the multiplayer is fun, most played the beta etc.. Majority of the reviewers say the multiplayer is better then MW2 and i tend to agree with them. The lack of single player does not make me dislike the game any less because none of the other Dice games have had one, neither have most of the valve games. So the fact there is one, and a decent one is a nice bonus in my opinion.

Personally i felt MW2 story was no excistent, it was just garbage. They ran out of ideas so just used the same scenes over and over i.e the falling down and having to be helped up etc..

Most of the stories in these things are actually a complete load of bull****. Incredibly unrealistic. If they were films, they'd be Steven Seagal films, and roundly laughed at by anyone looking at the narrative rather than the action. It would be nice to get this sort of game with a semblance of maturity at times. Admittedly concessions are made for 'fun', but how many soldiers - from any area - are well schooled in an array of vehicles, 'hacking', etc? How many 4 man squads could take on hundreds of enemies throughout a narrative?

As for comparing the two, as everyone does, it seems to me that they do different things, if with a similar feel. Even saying MW2 is a rip of BF is a simply silly comparison. It's not as if the idea of modern-based shooters is startlingly original and worthy of plaudits and intellectual copyright. It's worth saying that people who think BF is a rip of MW are simply wrong, but overall the main point is that, as in any genre with close rivals in marrket share and split across loyal fanbases / play styles etc, they will look to be influenced by progressions made. It's not exactly cheap. Fifa and PES do it, too, and if one does something better,they'd be daft not to, especially if the community latches on to it. It's the same in the film industry; Saving Private Ryan's use of certain film techniques has influenced many after because it worked, not because it was a cheap blag. MW2 is basically an arcade thing; it harkens back to the old days. OK, it's advanced in graphical terms, level design, production values, nice ideas like perks - but it's not so very different to Doom. BF1942 and after took a different idea and implemented it very well. They goals are different, succesful strategies are different, the way people play is different. Look beyond the 'vaguely modern war online shooter' thing and they are not worth grouping into the same league. They both sit at, or near, the top of their respective sub-genres.

Edited by Robsk II

When i say it ripped off the BF series what i mean is the format of the game i.e the grind of it. You kill people and do objectives you get xp which goes towards new ranks which in turn mean more customization options for both your gun and class. The whole "i must keep playing to reach xyz" thing. They also took things such as the UAV, the actual different class types etc.. But this is nothing un-normal, everyone does it, BC2 has borrowed from MW big time and you can see it in the campaign, they look very similar.

But as you say they are different genres really and that is what i tried to explain. A lot of people who buy MW never even play the multi-player, where as for BF series it is the other way around. It is horses for courses, whatever takes your fancy.

Playing MW1 i was blown away by it, thought it was the greatest shooter i had played, in a way i still think that. But MW2 just blew, it is a typical game of this gen where it has been rushed out to cash in on the franchises popularity. Sadly it will be the last seeing as the heads of Infinity Ward were sacked by activision and the game moved to a new studio.

For as far as I'm concerned they have ripped of MW2 as COD has done the best job possible of FPS so they can't improve on what they've done. When you get shot - its the same as on COD with the bloodshot view. The helicopter scene is almost identical to that of MW. The car chase where you're being chased by quadbikes and lorrys - again the same (that is all I have played so far.) The only improvement BF has over MW and it is quite a significant one, is that when you're in a house and a tank shoots it, you're no longer in a house. Where as in MW2 you could hide behind a dustbin lid and you'd be safe from pretty much nuclear attacks. The story has ripped off MW1/2 - there really is no doubt about that. This games less realistic for me. At least with COD you got recoil, you could go prone, you could stay crouched, you didn't walk into a tiny branch on a tree and get stuck whilst someone's firing a rocket at you. This game for me is a total let down and is no fun at all. The graphics in the original video are stunning, but when playing the game it just feels awkward and uncomfortable moving around, so it's no fun. I had a similar problem with OF2 which was also a total let down.

I agree with Robsk - how many 4 man squads can save the world? I 100% prefer games like Operation Flashpoint 1 / Armed Assault 1+2. However Armed Assault, for me, wasn't in the same league as OFP at all. If only Infinity could make a realistic game like OFP and it would be amazing. OFP for me is the greatest game of all time. I've replayed it so many times. Not much point discussing these though as its as different as stone and water.

As for multiplayer games, how realistic can a multiplayer game be when a bunch of soldiers are running around shooting each other, dying and then respawning? What a complete waste of a game with stunning graphics and a massive map. Games for me are all about the story line, that's why Tom Clancy is so highly rated in his games IMO. They all have a storyline and a character that you can relate to. COD absolutely nailed that with Soap. If games are just going to become online multiplayers where you run around, hide, shoot someone in the back, someone else shoots you in the back, then you respawn, then I think it's a great shame that FPS shooters are dying!

Edited by thesaint sfc

When you get shot - its the same as on COD with the bloodshot view.

Which in turn ripped off something else, which ripped off something else, which ripped off something else.

Do I need to make the point?

Exactly, Baj. Some of these conventions have grown organically and to exclude them would be folly. Occasionally, an obvious convention shift happens in a particular game, but that doesn't mean others copy it - or rather, if they do, it's because now audiences want it. Football games - did all games with commentary copy the first one that did it, or was it just common sense to do it once it was proved it worked? Car chases - BFBC2 hardly copies MW2 in there being a chase scene. On rails shooting is not a new thing by any means. If the view from a vehicle is similar, perhaps that's because they are both based on the vehicle, and one came before the other? Very few things are startlingly original, and where things are based on anything even near real, it's not copying if both draw influence from the same idea. I'm sure BF wasn't the first game to do capture points, or ranking, but it happened to nail them very well, so it just became the gold standard. I really don't see this as a bad sort of copy. Influence, sure. Follower, sure. But to say rips things off shows a sort of very small view on it. Which football club first had stripes (Newcastle?)... Did every team after copy them, or did it just happen that other people liked stripes too, or saw it and were influenced? Even Juventus, who supposedly did 'copy' Newcastle, have as much right the the historical legacy of their kit as Newcastle do.

To use Valve as an example they basically started the whole net squad thing with counterstrike. That didn't have a single player story with it, neither did Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Deathmatch etc etc. After the sucess of those games the online gaming world boomed.

Errr no they didn't All those games you listed were mods created by end users for the Half Life engine.

Valve created Half Life, which was at the time the greatest FPS going... by the tiem Half LIfe 2 came out they had employed many of the people making those mods.

FPS online gaming really started with Quake (especialy when the 3dfx addon card came out) and grew from there... back in the day Quake 3 was the big seller, where people like fatality made his name...

Errr no they didn't All those games you listed were mods created by end users for the Half Life engine.

Valve created Half Life, which was at the time the greatest FPS going... by the tiem Half LIfe 2 came out they had employed many of the people making those mods.

FPS online gaming really started with Quake (especialy when the 3dfx addon card came out) and grew from there... back in the day Quake 3 was the big seller, where people like fatality made his name...

I was going to post pretty much what you posted there but frankly cba.

Completely agree that FPS online gaming took off with Quake, but lets be fair, it was the modified version "quakeworld" more than it was the introduction of 3dfx. Dont forget quakeworld exe was out for donkeys before a 3dfx version was released. Also, Barrysworld / Gamespy had as much assistance in the growth of only FPS as the games themselves :)

All those games were published by Valve, all those people who created those games joined Valve.

Way back then Valve was not the big company you see today. They did HL and as you mention modders did the rest. The point is if you said to someone "cs source is coming out" those people would not be *****ing a single player was not included, that was the point.

As Rob says all games copy from each other, that is just the way it is. MW copied Gears of War with the blood thing. Each of them add their own unique thing to each game. My opinion is MW added a very good story and campaign. WHile BC2 has now added destructable landscapes. In BC2 that tree that got in TS's way can easily be remedied, drive over it, or blow the fecker up! :)

The thing with Dice mate is they are very similar to Valve and how they are set up. They are pioneers of internet gaming so don't really have any interest in single player games. To use Valve as an example they basically started the whole net squad thing with counterstrike. That didn't have a single player story with it, neither did Day of Defeat, Team Fortress, Deathmatch etc etc. After the sucess of those games the online gaming world boomed.

No, I'm sorry. I tried to let this lie, and let JDLN handle it, but I can't let this go. Valve did not "start the whole thing with counterstrike", valve didnt even bloody make counterstrike for gods sake. They provided a game with enough api hooks that allowed an entirely new online mod to be written in the shape of counterstrike, and was written by two people who had nothing to do with valve.

I hesitate to get into an argument with you St Marco, cos I know I'll get a essay of a reply in which you try to prove from every angle that I'm not correct, but the fact is Valve did not make counterstrike. Counterstrike was a mod made by the public, for HalfLife, which Valve DID create.

No, I'm sorry. I tried to let this lie, and let JDLN handle it, but I can't let this go. Valve did not "start the whole thing with counterstrike", valve didnt even bloody make counterstrike for gods sake. They provided a game with enough api hooks that allowed an entirely new online mod to be written in the shape of counterstrike, and was written by two people who had nothing to do with valve.

I hesitate to get into an argument with you St Marco, cos I know I'll get a essay of a reply in which you try to prove from every angle that I'm not correct, but the fact is Valve did not make counterstrike. Counterstrike was a mod made by the public, for HalfLife, which Valve DID create.

I said the whole "squad" thing Baj. As far as i can tell Quake was not like that. Counter strike started that, the whole goodies vs baddies online thing.

Counter strike was made by Minh Lee and Jesse Cliffe. They released the 1st beta in June 1999. In the following April they were both Valve employees. CS 1.0 was then released that xmas, under the Valve name.

So what i was trying to say Baj was two guys had the idea for the game and tried to make that game. But it did not become hugely succesful until they were under the Valve banner. That happens to a lot of games and ideas for creativity in general. The Valve then was not the Valve now. By hiring people like Jesse the company started to look at other things beside single player games. They make beautiful single player games like Half Life 2. But the longevity is in their multi-player games.

So i don't see this as an argument mate, we are neither right or wrong, were just saying the same thing in a different way. Valve didn't have the idea for CS. They just helped devlop it. By 1.6 which is/was the most popular version it was well and truely a valve game seeing as the creator was and still is one of Valves heads of the company.

Also isn't that what Valve is, a company that takes on lots of "bright" people from elsewhere? Even Gabe was from microsoft.

Edited by St Marco

Whilst Counterstrike was the most successful with its concept, quakeworld was already combining capture the flag type mods with rounds and deaths in the same manner. You can sit there and do you research on wikipedia if you like Marco, but some of us were playing it to a very serious level, as well as quake, LONG before CS was out of beta.

I did not play the pre-betas of CS. In fact i don't think i even had the 56k by then!

I think the first version of cs i played was 1.0 because it came on a magazine disc which was probably pc gamer. But i then played it from then all the way to today.

So if it was hugely popular before then, then i believe you, just i had not played it. Of course i had played Quake and all the other blue vs red team games.

Whilst Counterstrike was the most successful with its concept, quakeworld was already combining capture the flag type mods with rounds and deaths in the same manner. You can sit there and do you research on wikipedia if you like Marco, but some of us were playing it to a very serious level, as well as quake, LONG before CS was out of beta.

Lol.

You were in Fnatic?

Me and a few mates at uni tried the whole clan thing, think we tried enemy down and some other place. Did not do so well....It is funny because you think you are good until you play those sort of pro teams, then you realise your ****.

Fair play to you guys if you made money from it that is great. Didn't they have like a million pound cash prize once or something?

In america gaming like that is huge, is on tv all the time, think they have some channels on sky like that too.

Highest I ever got was competing with the best in europe at the millenium dome, hmm, year 2000, got down to the final 32 and bagged some goodies, a friend actually won (he was semi-pro anyway) and got a pro contract, I think £7k for his evenings work and flights/hotel/cash for first pro tourny in South Korea (where its FAR bigger than the states).

That was quake 3 btw, I got battered by the best player from Sweden.

So do we think FPS are dead now and they're all going to be the boring same as its all been done to death? I can remember MW coming along totally unexpected, so I don't think it has done. I can see where you're all coming from in that there isn't really an 'original' product to be made anymore, but BF2 just hasn't got anything going for it for me. I get the impression even from people who have rated it as good on this thread have almost done so reluctantly.

The fps genre has been stale for awhile though. Prior to Modern Warfare it was just the same **** over and over. The prior call of duties to that and medal of honors just got boring, a yearly game that did the same thing. Modern Warfare came and changed that, but it was only for awhile. We are back in there again now though i think.

BC2 is very similar to it, just adds a few extras like the destructable maps. That is a big change from not being able to blow stuff up.

It will be interesting to see how the new Call of Duty does that is rumoured to be set in Vietnam. That might be quite cool. BC2 has done very well, is currently sitting at number 1 in all the charts and is now number 1 in the online playtime charts, which shows maybe people have got bored of MW2 then.

The fps genre has been stale for awhile though. Prior to Modern Warfare it was just the same **** over and over. The prior call of duties to that and medal of honors just got boring, a yearly game that did the same thing. Modern Warfare came and changed that, but it was only for awhile. We are back in there again now though i think.

BC2 is very similar to it, just adds a few extras like the destructable maps. That is a big change from not being able to blow stuff up.

It will be interesting to see how the new Call of Duty does that is rumoured to be set in Vietnam. That might be quite cool. BC2 has done very well, is currently sitting at number 1 in all the charts and is now number 1 in the online playtime charts, which shows maybe people have got bored of MW2 then.

THAT I am very surprised about. I can't believe that my opinion can be so different to so many others so this weekend I will insist that I play through a few more missions and give multiplayer a go. I just find it so boring and unfulfilling, even when blowing things up! Vietnam could be good. I don't think they've ever made a decent FPS there, which comes to me as being a bit odd seeing as it was such a big thing and not all that long ago.

THAT I am very surprised about. I can't believe that my opinion can be so different to so many others so this weekend I will insist that I play through a few more missions and give multiplayer a go. I just find it so boring and unfulfilling, even when blowing things up! Vietnam could be good. I don't think they've ever made a decent FPS there, which comes to me as being a bit odd seeing as it was such a big thing and not all that long ago.

I always liked the idea of a good Vietnam game but as you mention it seems to be one era that nobody can get right. Battlefield Vietnam was garbage as was Conflict Vietnam. If anyone can get it right then you would think it would be the guys behind Call of Duty. Apparently there is a new Medal of Honor game that they are saying will revolutionise the series. That might be good as Pacific wasen't too bad i felt.

I always liked the idea of a good Vietnam game but as you mention it seems to be one era that nobody can get right. Battlefield Vietnam was garbage as was Conflict Vietnam. If anyone can get it right then you would think it would be the guys behind Call of Duty. Apparently there is a new Medal of Honor game that they are saying will revolutionise the series. That might be good as Pacific wasen't too bad i felt.

Nam67 on the PS2 was pretty good.

http://www.shellshockgame.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZThquH5t0ow :D

Notts County actually.

Before 1903 Juve played in pink.

Yes, sorry, I knew this. Couldn't put my finger on it, that's why I had it with a question mark!

Sorry baj, but some people DO need the obvious stating. No need to be scathing.

IMO this kicks the ass off MW2 and MAG, Its got elements of both games which are great games in their own ways. I like the fact that vehicles are involved and you can blow up or destroy everything. The graphics and online game play are amazing. I may as well trade all my other shooters in as I won't be touching them anymore.

• 1 month later...