Stoke Match Thread

saint_stevo

Davis' distribution was great last night. Released a few early balls and also played some short balss too, unlike last season, sit on it till everyone's settled then hoof it up field. Made a great save too.
Last season we didnt have the movement to set the play up straight away.

His first priority is to make sure our defence is organised before launching the ball, because if it came straight back and the oppo scored who'd get the blame? There again he gets the blame whatever.

Odds for Saints in Labrokes :

5-1 To be relegated

11-1 to be promoted

Went to the game, Im slightly concerned with lightweightness of our team, The Championship is renowned as we know for its bully-boy tactics and im not sure that the current Squad can handle it! But I hope im wrong.

Played some attractive football at times, lost possesion too much in midfield and seemed scared to have a shot. We tried to walk it in too much, kind of Arsenalesque.

A massive positive though is the fitness of the players compared to the end of last season, Rasiak for one looked alot slimmer and was chasing the ball down (yes i did say chasing the ball down) .

Dyer looked in top form, so did Spiderman.

So overall I think it was a good run out. Davies is definately Number 1 keeper, If you watched Bialkowski he wasnt too sure where to be one minute he would decide to run out for the ball, then change his mind and get back on his goal-line, I did see Perry having a word at one point.

Im not over-optimistic but once everything is all settled I think we will be OK, after all we are starting the season as an unknown quantity really, so im expecting a few surprises.

I didn't think Perry played in the second half?????????

What I don't understand is why JP plays all the youngsters in the first half, such as McG and co., then brings on the old pros in the second half, such as Stern, Rasiak, BWP and Dyer.

Surely a blend of these two teams would be stronger and surely it would have been worth trying out a few different teams during pre-season.

What I don't understand is why JP plays all the youngsters in the first half, such as McG and co., then brings on the old pros in the second half, such as Stern, Rasiak, BWP and Dyer.

Surely a blend of these two teams would be stronger and surely it would have been worth trying out a few different teams during pre-season.

Not if you think the team in the first half is the one to play saturday.In all the pre season games he has blended the teams and this is now hw he wants to play.

There were loads of positives in the first half and the best football we have played in years. Gillet, Lallana and Schindler as a CM three worked the ball very well and the defensive two got stuck in without giving away needless fouls. We moved the ball very quickly all over the team and will run some teams ragged, IF we can get the wide forwards behind the defence to cut the ball back we could see a lot of goals this year.

Second half was horrible compared to the first, Wotton was shocking as was Thomas which made Parkin and Pericard look like world beaters!! Rasiak won't fit into the new system and needs to be offloaded asap. John looked good and maybe better suited to the central forward position than McGoldrick who may be best as one of the wide forwards. Dyer played ok no more no less, needs to stop coming inside and try going outside his man, although to his credit he did work very well moving the ball quickly and getting into a good position. Mills, Hatch and White will be good squad players and will hopefully improve over the season.

Team for Cardiff

Davies

James Svensson Perry Surman

Schindler Gillet

Lallana

Dyer Holmes

McGoldrick

Team for Cardiff

Davies

James Svensson Perry Surman

Schindler Gillet

Lallana

Dyer Holmes

McGoldrick

Schindler?

Oh yes, you mean Schneiderlin?

Edited by Wilf
answered my own question

The second half team was a joke. Just running around like headless chickens most of the time. Dyer and BWP would be better employed at Wimbledon as chase-hares for the doggies. As for Rasiak, will anybody ever make an offer for him.. please?

Thomas and Perry were disastrous. Apart from mistiming every jump he made Thomas insisted on playing old style "hoofball" football in the new slick-style Saints and looked a complete Rrse in doing so. Please, oh please get Andrew Davies back out there soon and please, pretty please Michael Svennson, please stay fit!

I thought he meant Schindler's List ???

I'm getting used to his name but haven't quite got it yet and that is the nearest name I have to it :-)

He looks a class apart though especially if Gillett plays like a terrier in midfield with him pressuring mistakes. I thought that all the forward players defended very well putting pressure on Stoke and forcing them into mistakes and hopefull long ball!!!!

The second half team was a joke. Just running around like headless chickens most of the time. Dyer and BWP would be better employed at Wimbledon as chase-hares for the doggies. As for Rasiak, will anybody ever make an offer for him.. please?

Thomas and Perry were disastrous. Apart from mistiming every jump he made Thomas insisted on playing old style "hoofball" football in the new slick-style Saints and looked a complete Rrse in doing so. Please, oh please get Andrew Davies back out there soon and please, pretty please Michael Svennson, please stay fit!

getting behind the club for the new season then.

Perry did not play the second half !!

It was Racine who came on in the second half.

I think he is about 16 years old and probably his first game at St Marys.

So can we give him a chance ?

It was a big ask for him to look after Parkin and Pericard with only an off form Thomas for help.

i thought Perry had a reasonable game, was an incident where he was too casual getting to the ball and gave their big forward bloke a chance. Played far better than Thomas and Racine, thomas really struggled last night, im sure he wont be first choice this season.