Game over for football’s sugar daddies

Joesaint

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article7078254.ece

Think this is a really good read to be honest even with our wealth I feel it will make the game better.

One quote;

"In other words, an owner such as Sheikh Mansour would eventually be permitted to put less than ¤10 million a year into Manchester City on average, unless the money is spent on infrastructure or the youth team, which have no limits on investment"

I think this is not only good the youth in england but our club, Its wrong to say game over for sugar daddies ML and NC say after the 5 year plan they want sustainable business and to top it his money will go on infrastructure with money made on the team.

Just think if this rule was in pompy will not be in the poo they are in now and would prob have a new stadium good thing is its way to late fo them.

COYS

Think this is a really good read to be honest even with our wealth I feel it will make the game better.

One quote;

"In other words, an owner such as Sheikh Mansour would eventually be permitted to put less than ¤10 million a year into Manchester City on average, unless the money is spent on infrastructure or the youth team, which have no limits on investment"

I think this is not only good the youth in england but our club, Its wrong to say game over for sugar daddies ML and NC say after the 5 year plan they want sustainable business and to top it his money will go on infrastructure with money made on the team.

Just think if this rule was in pompy will not be in the poo they are in now and would prob have a new stadium good thing is its way to late fo them.

COYS

So would this change also apply to the likes of Real Madrid or is it another attempt by the French twot to curb english success in europe comps?

So would this change also apply to the likes of Real Madrid or is it another attempt by the French twot to curb english success in europe comps?

I belive so yea, think they would be hit hardest as kind of an end to the 80 million pound transfer.

A very good question, as Real Madrid would be fooked.

Platini can whinge all he likes about English football but he'll never say anything about Real due to Sepp Blatter being an honorary president of the club and the fact they can mount up whatever debt they like and effectively always be bailed out by the Spanish government due to their ties with the Spanish royal family.

A better idea would be to copy the model used in Germany where no single person can own more than 49% of a club. They struggle to compete against the big boys in the Champions League but their football is ran brilliantly, ticket prices are cheap (which means their stadiums are always full) and most of the teams usually have a decent amount of youth products in their starting 11s.

for me it isnt so much the transfer fee that is the problem, its the wages and bonuses. Surely if they capped those then it would solve alot of problems

Yip that's how I see it, wages and bonuses is killing the game that's how Pompey are in the sh1t, not that I care about them, but if we had capping then it would solve a lot of problems.

What is to stop an owner sponsoring the team for big money, or hiring a box for big money thus uping the clubs revenue alowing them to carry on spending??

The only thing it will stop is director loans ala P@mpey.

Fair point. This will not take out excessive money in the game. It will just mean that the clubs are no longer accountable for when it all falls apart and the owner decides to something else with his saturdays.

A cap on clubs spending is needed not a cap on investmnet by owners. As always, its the smaller clubs with wealthy owners who would be hit hardest. The rich will already be rich, and the poor will have no chance of ever competing.

What is to stop an owner of the club being the main sponsor, naming the ground and 1st team shirts for say £50m per year, then he/she/they can still put vast sums into the club, and renew it each year depending on the amount required in the next season. The only real change is that it can no longer be classed a loan.

I have just spotted a way round it in 30 seconds ?

Platini can say what he wants and write dossiers till the cows come home, it won't happen. The (big) clubs are too strong, and UEFA is a non-entity. Not saying it wouldn't be a good thing, but it is not going to be a reality. It would be impossible to police anyway.

What is to stop an owner of the club being the main sponsor, naming the ground and 1st team shirts for say £50m per year, then he/she/they can still put vast sums into the club, and renew it each year depending on the amount required in the next season. The only real change is that it can no longer be classed a loan.

Yes but then it wouldn't be a loan and the club wouldn't be liable for paying it back. I think you'll find a hell of a lot of these sugar daddy's would disappear if they were unable to get pay back.

Yes but then it wouldn't be a loan and the club wouldn't be liable for paying it back. I think you'll find a hell of a lot of these sugar daddy's would disappear if they were unable to get pay back.

As I said it would now be a loan, but they still own the club, therefore their "Sponsorship" would increase the value and ultimately the amount they would see as a return should they sell.

Do you think RA at Chelsea would worry about £50m a year

As I said it would now be a loan, but they still own the club, therefore their "Sponsorship" would increase the value and ultimately the amount they would see as a return should they sell.

Do you think RA at Chelsea would worry about £50m a year

No I don't but this is obviously directed at owners like the Glazer's of this world who borrow the money to buy the clubs and then make the clubs liable for that debt or the Gydamak's who supposedly put their own money in but when it all goes tits-up, want that money back.

The only thing that worries me about Platini's vision is relegation.

It's very difficult for clubs to have restrictions on spending without submitting turnover figures. Do these figures go on last season's turnover, or are they projected figures?

If they are on last season, what happens to a team coming down from the PL? Their figures will be distorted, allowing them to spend more & potentially get in the same **** clubs are already in. If they project figures, this will allow clubs to totally fabricate their position, which completely defeats the object

The only way to eradicate this is by having an American franchise system

This would be the biggest disaster of all

Looking at our own situation I was wondering what the possibility would be of Marcus selling the club back to the fans. The Barcelona model appears to be the dream for English clubs these days and I wondered if perhaps every Saints fans could aquire a share from. He could still make a profit and maybe fans can have five years to buy their single share? OK so it sounds like a pipedream, but what a legacy - the man who saved the cloub and then gave it back to the fans. People go on about having gotten their club back, but have we really? Obviously there are massive holes in my idea but its a starter for ten.

Very good point, their will be many loop holes that is for sure, lets face it Platini is an ex player not a Camebridge Don; for me the Times article exposed many holes which will be fully exploited, as I have written here before football needs to be brought into line financially, in terms of transfer fees and wages, however, if an owner wants to invest to get his team from League one to the Premiership then they will find that task made even harder by the Platini plan; from what I have read it needs a lot more work and the best start would be to get rid if that bloated idiot Sepp Blatter.

A good idea in principle, but it will have consequences for you and I.

If a club can only spend up to what it earns, they need to earn more money. So prices will go up for tickets, merchandise etc and TV money will be much more important, meaning Sky will get an even bigger hold on football.

Gestures such as next years no sponsorship at Saints will be a thing of the past, although to be fair it's not exactly common.

IMO, a wage cap would be a much better starting place followed by a maximum transfer fee.

A good idea in principle, but it will have consequences for you and I.

If a club can only spend up to what it earns, they need to earn more money. So prices will go up for tickets, merchandise etc and TV money will be much more important, meaning Sky will get an even bigger hold on football.

Gestures such as next years no sponsorship at Saints will be a thing of the past, although to be fair it's not exactly common.

IMO, a wage cap would be a much better starting place followed by a maximum transfer fee.

Yep, world wide wage and transfer cap, the only way.

One quote;

COYS

Bring it on I say.

One word, Platini.

Second Word, Jealousy.

Double standard tossers, him and Blatter. They've forever derided the British game & are typical European bigots, hating the British. They just can't tolerate we're the best, most exciting & richest football nation in the World.

They can whinge all they want & insidiously try & invent new rules but they won't succeed. Not without international condemnation. People on here have it right with the sheer level of hypocrisy re: Real Madrid. In fact, I remember Platini getting my goat (annoying me, not actually stealing my pet goat! I don't have one for a start!) by piping up about there being too much money in the English league, just around the time Ronaldlo moved to Real Madrid. Of course, no mention of them. Just the English big boys! Unbelievable, arrogant, Hypocritical, French tosser!!

I don't mind a plan to level out or cap wages & bonuses but they won't be able to stop the wealthy investing heavily or they're rupture the foundations of the entire football world! There's too much money at stake for that to happen cos of the disgruntled, jealous warblings of some begrudged Frenchman!