Saving accounts

saints_is_the_south

thinking about opening a new one, currently got mine with Lloyds but the rate of interest is crap compared to other banks.

Anybody got any good reccomendations that saves me trawling through moneysupermarket.com?!?!

Too many dependancies to sufficiently answer your question:

access

amount being saved per month / per annum

happy with t'internet only?

etc

it is worth the trawl.

Post Office accounts are good if you want to make sure you're money is safe - becuase they're provided by Bank of Ireland, you actually get a higher value of security than you do from UK providers, as I found out today.

I think you'll find that the first £35,000 of savings per institution are guaranteed by the UK government in respect of UK personal bank accounts, whereas 90% of your savings per institution up to a cap of only Euro 20,000 is guaranteed in respect of Irish insitutions by the Irish government. :confused:

Much better protection in the UK! (If that is what you meant by security?)

Sorry!

Abbey are doing a good one. It's for a year. You have access to your money all the time. If you take any out then you get 5% but if you leave it for a year then you get 6.5%. It's like a year bond only you can take some out without too much 'punishment'. I've just set up a regular saver at over 7% there which i'm pretty impressed with.

It really depends on how much you want to save, lump sum or regular saver, and how much access do you need to it.

I think you'll find that the first £35,000 of savings per institution are guaranteed by the UK government in respect of UK personal bank accounts, whereas 90% of your savings per institution up to a cap of only Euro 20,000 is guaranteed in respect of Irish insitutions by the Irish government. :confused:

Sorry!

Ireland guarantees 100,000 Euros.

In newsarticles about the possible collapse of Dutch/Belgium Bank/Insurance company Fortis the newspapers mention the Belgian goverment covers all regular savings and pensions savings.

Btw, the rumour in the Netherlands is that ING are taking over ABN AMRO from Fortis. Fortis only bought ABN AMRO just before the credit crunch and have not even really completed the take over. Even though ING are sort of making a good deal (they're going to pay a lot less for ABN AMRO then Fortis did when they bought it together with RBS and Banco Santander) the stock market is not reacting very well to it. Interesting times even with Dutch banks.

Sorry!

For accounts issued by an Irish institution, but available in the UK, it used to be that the Irish government would cap at Euro 20,000, and the UK government would make up the difference up to £35,000.

Now, Irish government caps at Euro 100,000. Even for accounts in the UK. Therefore, they are better than UK accounts looked after solely by UK government.

Sorry!