Owning property abroad

Thedelldays

A mate has been talking to me about going into a venture together about owning a property abroad..

anyone else do this..? is it a massive risk or are there real benefits to do it..there seems to be oodles available in florida for crazily low prices..

Don't talk to forums or mates, find a fecking good lawyer.

It may seem a great idea because you Brits are so "brainwashed" about property, but thousands sailed down here with the "oodles available in florida/Spain/Dubai for crazily low prices" mindset and just about every single one of them who didn't get PROPER advice has been right royally screwed.

there are SO many different regs and rules

Don't talk to forums or mates, find a fecking good lawyer.

It may seem a great idea because you Brits are so "brainwashed" about property, but thousands sailed down here with the "oodles available in florida/Spain/Dubai for crazily low prices" mindset and just about every single one of them who didn't get PROPER advice has been right royally screwed.

there are SO many different regs and rules

to be honest..I am not that convinced..

but we have friends who have gone in and bought a place (out right between two of them) in thailand..and they love it..

A mate has been talking to me about going into a venture together about owning a property abroad..

anyone else do this..? is it a massive risk or are there real benefits to do it..there seems to be oodles available in florida for crazily low prices..

PM Corky Morris if you want to know about owning property in Florida as he has 3 places out there.

In fact he's flying out there tomorrow which means I've got to drive to the match. :mad:

Florida is probably in one of the biggest housing slumps of all time - ours was a blip in comparison.

I would be tempted if the exchange rate was a bit better. The pound is cr4p at the moment.

Florida is probably in one of the biggest housing slumps of all time - ours was a blip in comparison.

I would be tempted if the exchange rate was a bit better. The pound is cr4p at the moment.

And it could get a lot worse.

Problem with ovberseas investments is the variable of exchange rates. Property could rise 10% in value and lose 15% in exchange value or vice versa.

The time to dive into the US was when the Pound was up near to $2. It's a long held lolage down here that the long term expats did NOT buy property during the "BOOM" years. The Brits flooding in to waste their cash thought we were mad. Oh how we laugh now, and no, we still aren't buying them they have more problems down here these days.

You can't sell a pre-owned house in Florida because everybody wants a new one, and they are cheap too. I know someone who had a villa out there and spent the first two weeks of every visit cutting the grass and sorting out maintenance, and I know someone else who loves it there. Whatever you do, don't buy a property as an 'investment', buy it as a home. There are all sorts of different taxation in different countries, especially capital gains and 'assumed rental income'

Parents bought in France about Seven years ago and haven't looked back, bought two hectres of land for £10k and built on it, total cost which included the land, 4 bedroomed villa and a pool was around 125k, it's now worth close to 260k....not a bad return.

Parents bought in France about Seven years ago and haven't looked back, bought two hectres of land for £10k and built on it, total cost which included the land, 4 bedroomed villa and a pool was around 125k, it's now worth close to 260k....not a bad return.

Good for them. Which part of France?

the prices in floriday seem very cheap...SURELY there is more to it than £40k for a 2 bed apartment 30 min drive from disney..?

You have clearly never been to Disney.:cool:

They should be paying YOU to buy the place...

The Pound is plummeting ATM, by the time you complete the place will cost 60K and will still be worth them paying you to take it