Most years we'd be in play off position already

ponto1963

Just our luck, most years we'd be well into the playoff positions, and from a -10 start that's a really good season, especially with the Silverware.

In Champ this season they've played one more game yet.

1 Newcastle 44 54 98

2 West Brom 44 41 89

3 Not Forest 44 22 75

4 Cardiff 44 20 73

5 Leicester 44 13 70

6 Swansea 44 5 68

in L 2 same no of games we'd be 6th

1 Notts C 42 56 86

2 Rochdale 43 37 82

3 Bournemth 43 12 77

4 Rotherham 43 5 69

5 Bury 43 -1 68

6 Aldershot 43 11 66

So with our points at any other time or in any other league we'd be there.

Here's looking for a top 2 finish next season & retaining the JPT as well

Just our luck, most years we'd be well into the playoff positions, and from a -10 start that's a really good season, especially with the Silverware.

In Champ this season they've played one more game yet.

1 Newcastle 44 54 98

2 West Brom 44 41 89

3 Not Forest 44 22 75

4 Cardiff 44 20 73

5 Leicester 44 13 70

6 Swansea 44 5 68

in L 2 same no of games we'd be 6th

1 Notts C 42 56 86

2 Rochdale 43 37 82

3 Bournemth 43 12 77

4 Rotherham 43 5 69

5 Bury 43 -1 68

6 Aldershot 43 11 66

So with our points at any other time or in any other league we'd be there.

Here's looking for a top 2 finish next season & retaining the JPT as well

You're too pessimistic for next year. What about the FA cup too? ;)

I said at the start of the season, although someone who couldn't get their head around what I meant argued the toss, that to reach the play offs we needed 2 or maybe 3 teams to rip this League up and get a bag full of points.

Unfortunately with the exception of Norwich nobody has really done that.

When Leeds went off the boil all the top teams became much of a muchness, nobody pulled away so they all took points off each other and that obviously increased their points totals in the top six which made it that much harder for us.

I'm amazed really that with 3 games left we still have a mathmatical chance of reaching 6th place. It shows how well we really have done especially after having to carry out our pre-season within the first 5 league games !

Only one team have ever reached the playoffs having had a points deduction (Leeds) and none have ever been promoted. I can't help but be happy this season. Look at Stockport that so nearly could have been us if things hadn't turned out the way they did with Marcus and NC.

Very true....but be careful, you will be accused of being a happy clappy ;)

Only one team have ever reached the playoffs having had a points deduction (Leeds) and none have ever been promoted. I can't help but be happy this season. Look at Stockport that so nearly could have been us if things hadn't turned out the way they did with Marcus and NC.

Absolutely. I think people need to look at things with a bit of perspective. That said, IF we had managed to sneak in to the play-offs, given our recent form you know we would have been in with a good shout of winning it. I dont know if I could have stomached a late surge to 6th place and then losing the play off final to someone like Swindon.

For me I would prefer to keep our powder dry and storm the league next season. AP's got a big job on his hands to stop players becoming complacent however.

Points needed to get into 6th place since 2000/2001:

00/01 - 75 points

01/02 - 78 points

02/03 - 81 points

03/04 - 73 points

04/05 - 71 points

05/06 - 71 points

06/07 - 75 points

07/08 - 76 points

08/09 - 76 points

All of which proves nothing.

But does allow us the consolation that IF we win our last 3 it would have been good enough 7 out of the last 9. I'm assuming our GD would be better than those 76 point totals.

Absolutely. I think people need to look at things with a bit of perspective. That said, IF we had managed to sneak in to the play-offs, given our recent form you know we would have been in with a good shout of winning it. I dont know if I could have stomached a late surge to 6th place and then losing the play off final to someone like Swindon.

For me I would prefer to keep our powder dry and storm the league next season. AP's got a big job on his hands to stop players becoming complacent however.

Thats my feeling on it too. I've said it before but would love to go up as champions next season rather than sneeking it in sixth. Look at how well last years champions are doing compared to last years playoff winners. I think the extra boost of knowing you were the best in the league rather than prehaps just lucky at the end can power you on the following season.