Hurt - Jonny Cash

NorthamSteve

Ok - I've written it backwards on my forehead.

Thanks

Who says other wise?

I'm not going to single people out, but there is another post or 2 on another thread, you can do your own detective work.

Also, I hear it every now and again in day-to-day life.

Did you also know, that Amy Winehouse wasnt the first artist to record the song Valerie.

Wasn't that Elvis Costello or am i confusing the song with Veronica?

JC was a top iconic performer, I thought of him only last night whilst watching 'Women who made Country'.

Sorry NorthamSteve...

CHRIST! obviously I wasn't aware. Now I am. Thankyou for my lesson and I will strive to ensure that I never comment on anything ever again unless I know the INS and outs of the subject in matter.

Probably for the best, otherwise you sound like a twa t. ;)

It's common knowledge that Cash didn't write 'Hurt' just like Frank Sinatra didn't write 'My Way' and Elvis .... never wrote anything much . But lets face it JC's version is easily the best and most successful .

The 5 Cash/Rick Rubin 'American' albums are (in my opinion) among the finest work produced during the 20 years by any contemporary artist . The fact that Johny Cash didn't actually write every song hardly matters when you consider what the great man (in his latter years) could do with a good song .

Also, JC's 'version' was not different. So to say which one is best is a bit of a immesurable quality too.

IMO, if you cover a song you should play around with it and make it sound a bit different.

Apart from JC chickening out from say the word "****", changing the line "crown of ****" to "crown of thorns".

JC version is OK, but you dont have the same feeling in it as you do in the NIN version(s). The [quiet] version gets me every time.

Bearing in mind the NIN version was never released as a single, it would be pretty hard to measure it's success.

Best - as in having made the biggest impact on the listening public both then and now . I suspect that this great song would now be virtually forgotten but for Johnny Cash and Rick Rubin .

I have nothing against the original Trent Reznor/'NIN' version - credit where credit is due - it's always been a wonderful song that explores aspects of the human condition that many shy away from , but I must maintain that Cash in his latter years and with that remarkable voice so very redolent of age, suffering and frailty could bring something unique to almost any song he tackled - including 'Hurt' .

Compare and contrast :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udhZ9U4Q8-A

Yes Sting wrote 'I Hung my Head' but I would suggest that Cash & Rubin turned what was in truth a rather obscure piece into something truly memorable . Just one example of many . I remember Kris Kristofferson once said that Johnny Cash should have his face carved into the side of Mount Rushmore alongside the other great Americans already there - he was right .

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Thanks

I'm not going to single people out, but there is another post or 2 on another thread, you can do your own detective work.

Also, I hear it every now and again in day-to-day life.

I don't get your point.

I have re-read the 'Best Videos' thread and no one appears to be under the impression that Cash wrote 'Hurt'.

I still maintain that Cash's video is one of the greatest ever made.

In fact, I seem to recall a poll of muso journalist types coming to the same conclusion.

Personally I think that NIN's 'Hurt' is shoyte.

HTH.

Yes Sting wrote 'I Hung my Head' but I would suggest that Cash & Rubin turned what was in truth a rather obscure piece into something truly memorable . Just one example of many . I remember Kris Kristofferson once said that Johnny Cash should have his face carved into the side of Mount Rushmore alongside the other great Americans already there - he was right .

There are some real gems in his American recordings, (although towards the end they got a bit patchy). Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus is one and Nick Cave's Mercy Seat is fantastic. The fact Cash was coming to the end of his life, is reflected inh his voice and I think that's why his version of Hurt is so memorable. Whoever wrote the songs doesn't really matter, he had an original take on them.That's what a great cover version should be about.

I'd heard his shows could be poor due to ill health and other issues, but he was on fine form when I saw him.

There are some real gems in his American recordings, (although towards the end they got a bit patchy). Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus is one and Nick Cave's Mercy Seat is fantastic. The fact Cash was coming to the end of his life, is reflected inh his voice and I think that's why his version of Hurt is so memorable. Whoever wrote the songs doesn't really matter, he had an original take on them.That's what a great cover version should be about.

I'd heard his shows could be poor due to ill health and other issues, but he was on fine form when I saw him.

I couldn't agree more my friend , the two songs you mention are among my personal favorites but if I could only take one Cash song onto my own desert island it would be 'I see a Darkness' from American III - Monumental .

Unlike you I never got to see the great man live unfortunately as I'm a relatively late convert to the cause - I'm insanely zealous . :)

In a similar vein to the Cash stuff is this video from Willie Nelson

Willie is underappreciated in this Country and unfortunatly will proberly have to pass before getting the recongition his talent fully deserves. He's playing Glastonbury this year, so he may pick up a few of the younger generation.

I don't get your point.

I have re-read the 'Best Videos' thread and no one appears to be under the impression that Cash wrote 'Hurt'.

I still maintain that Cash's video is one of the greatest ever made.

In fact, I seem to recall a poll of muso journalist types coming to the same conclusion.

Personally I think that NIN's 'Hurt' is shoyte.

HTH.

I think all of the versions of this song are ****.

Also, if you read this thread you can see who I was referring to.

AND I hear it all the time anyway so it wasn't directed exclusively at one person.

• 3 weeks later...
johnny is the best

nine inch ****ing nails aren't fit to wipe his arse

I apologise for the fact my son has taken it upon himself to post this under my name.

I'm not however entering the debate any further,although am a Johnny Cash fan myself,and will also be abandoning the avatar I've been 'given'.

Edited by Badger

I love both versions of the song, however my favourite take on it is by Nine Inch Nails playing live with Trent Reznor and David Bowie sharing the vocals. When Big Dave kicks off with "I.....hurt myself today" in his unmistakable voice it sends a shiver down your spine. Must be from about 94-96, it is on a live bootleg I have and I believe it is also kicking around on Youtube if you search for it.