Anrdoid or iPhone

GenevaSaint

Hi Guys,

Looking at getting a new phone, seen a few smartphones. Anyone have any feeback about android phones? Seen a few of the apps, is everything on iphone available on android? Guessing android might have more availability of apps due to the more open nature. Any thoughts on new handsets coming out?

Cheers, Mike.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199328/android_vs_iphone_5_battlefields.html

I'd think it is a very close call. Android phones mean a lot of choice and are much more open as you indicate, and my android is brilliant... If you get an Android, I'd recommend an HTC Desire or an X10 if you want to go that little bit further(though this phone might be a bit big for you). Don't get the HTC Wildfire if you are going for Android as it is a smartphone on a budget and as you are considering an iPhone I assume your budget is large and so you might as well pay a little bit more for something which is the real deal.

The iPhone probably runs slightly smoother than android, but in all honesty there is not much difference... every useful app will be available on both. iPhone is a little bit more expensive if you get the latest one, but yer, it all comes down to personal preference. I suggest going in store and trying them out. Both are brilliant in their own way. You just need to shop around more with Android as obviously the phone hardware quality and camera and shizz will vary greatly between each phone, the iPhone has no variance like this.

Well, that was a ramble, I hope you can decode it!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199328/android_vs_iphone_5_battlefields.html

I'd think it is a very close call. Android phones mean a lot of choice and are much more open as you indicate, and my android is brilliant... If you get an Android, I'd recommend an HTC Desire or an X10 if you want to go that little bit further(though this phone might be a bit big for you). Don't get the HTC Wildfire if you are going for Android as it is a smartphone on a budget and as you are considering an iPhone I assume your budget is large and so you might as well pay a little bit more for something which is the real deal.

The iPhone probably runs slightly smoother than android, but in all honesty there is not much difference... every useful app will be available on both. iPhone is a little bit more expensive if you get the latest one, but yer, it all comes down to personal preference. I suggest going in store and trying them out. Both are brilliant in their own way. You just need to shop around more with Android as obviously the phone hardware quality and camera and shizz will vary greatly between each phone, the iPhone has no variance like this.

Well, that was a ramble, I hope you can decode it!

This is a great comparison.....The only thing i'll add, is the iPhone doesn't do 'phone calls' that well...That was the main reason i replaced my iPhone 3GS with a Droid X.....The call quality/reliability's not even close.......The Droid X is also far more customizable than the iPhone. Widgets and 7 home screens means you can set the phone up exactly how you want it...The DX isn't available in the UK but from what i hear the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy are also right up there

Unlocked HTC Desire is better than the iPhone 4. I support both at work (and have a Milestone myself) and the Desire beats it - flash video, lighter, feels nicer in the hand (the new design of the iPhone 4 is a step back in holdability as far as our users are concerned). Much more customisable although probably slightly less big name apps available (no Tom Tom for example)

Yep - got myself a Desire a few weeks ago and love it. Camera quality isn't the best, but then few cameras are on phones. 720P recording with the upgraded HTC version of Froyo is an improvement on anything the iPhone has currently. Wifi Access point functionality is good too. I was going to get a Mifi from 3 but don't need it now Froyo is out.

I think that is the big difference with Android - improvements come in software to open new functionality, Apple go the Hardware route to make more money - the iPhone 5 is rumoured to be out in the new year!

I really wouldn't recommend Android. Had mine since October and has been nothing but hassle.

There is just constantly a string of issues with the stupid thing.

In terms of apps etc, yes the Android market is more open and often cheaper - but, they are useless. Most consist of gimmicks that get tired in 30 seconds or the ones that you think might be half useful just don't work. I can't even get onto the market place now as it has decided after 9 months that I no longer have a gmail account, also meaning I cannot update the apps I do have.

DO NOT GET AN ANDROID!

Im sorry but just because you have had a bad experience doesn't mean others shouldn't 'GET AN ANDROID'. What version of Android are you using, what phone do you have? These things will make a difference to your experience. It sounds like you are probably on 1.6 or earlier. If you are selective in your market apps then you can get some great stuff. The Apple App store also contains a lot of dross and some excellent apps. Do your research regardless of the platform and find the apps that suit your need.

As for the Gmail account issue - have you googled the issue, have you spoken to your phone manufacturers support team, or gone to their forums. Have you tried resetting to factory defaults and trying to connect it up again?

The iPhone 4 is made from glass and stainless steel, all other phones are made from plastic.

This fact should make the decision for you.

And as such cost DOUBLE TO REPAIR!!!! ;)

This years top phone is the "SAMSUNG GALAXY S" in online reviews with iPhone 4 in 2nd place. Android 1st, AOS 2nd. :)

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

Of course if you are the sort of person to fake an insurance claim to get the latest version of the your phone then the iphone is for you.

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/02/15/iphone_insurance_claims/

Apple gizmo fans are committing more insurance fraud in a move to upgrade their iPhones to the latest model, a UK insurer has claimed.

Supercover Insurance said claims for iPhones would typically shoot up 50 per cent during the month in a which a new model was released.

It said that four out of 10 claims made during such a period were fraudulent. The company claimed that some people deliberately trashed their phone to ensure they got an upgrade to the latest iPhone model.

Honestly at the moment the latest version of the iphone software is like Vista. Awfull however they can fix that. The latest iPhone is actaully ver good. Andriod does give other options and at present the software is much better than IOS however you are open up to all sorts of issues with regardsi to rogue apps and viruses at present. Personally I think the iPhone just tips it but it's a close thing best thing to do is play with the Andriod phone and then play with the Iphone and see wich one you like best.

Unlocked HTC Desire is better than the iPhone 4. I support both at work (and have a Milestone myself) and the Desire beats it - flash video, lighter, feels nicer in the hand (the new design of the iPhone 4 is a step back in holdability as far as our users are concerned). Much more customisable although probably slightly less big name apps available (no Tom Tom for example)

i agree it does not have the antenna problems like the i phone 4 and is great for phone calls .

untill they fix the i-phone 4 antenna problems in the newer models,i would avoid and stick withthe 3gs models.

I love my iPhone 4' date=' it just works brilliantly and the look and feel of everything is flawless. In my opinion, the other phones are all trying to get up to the level of the iPhone, but one way or another they just cant match it.[/quote']

THIS.

Re: 'The Antennae issue' that people are slating it for - although I can get the signal bars to lower if I cover up on 'the spot', I've never been able to make mine drop a call or stop it receiving data because of it.

The signal is actually WAY better than the 3G, 3GS and Blackberries I've tested it against. My iPhone 4 picks up faint WiFi signals when the other devices can't even see the WiFi , let alone connect to it.

Anyone who uses the 'reception issues' in an anti-iPhone 4 argument is talking out of their ringpiece.

I love my iPhone 4' date=' it just works brilliantly and the look and feel of everything is flawless. [b']In my opinion, the other phones are all trying to get up to the level of the iPhone, but one way or another they just cant match it.[/b]

It's cool you have a phone that suits you needs so well :).... But as for the other phones catching up bit, it's maybe it's time for you to open your eye's a little....Your statement was certainly the case a year ago, except of course in the actual 'telephone' dept, where the iPhone was bottom of the pile.

But over the last six months or so, Android phones have snuck up, passed, and are now disappearing in the distance and they also make better 'phone calls' to boot.

My Droid X is a 'Huge' improvement over my old iPhone in just about every area, except maybe a little bit of smoothness that the iPhone does really well..........Nail that and it will be a no brainer in every department...and that's right now.....

Add to the mix the fact there will be at least 4 more Android phones released along with at least 3 new major OS revisions between now and the iPhone 5 and its it's not even close.

heh ...I'll even welcome you to the world of Android now......It'll only be a matter of time ;)

THIS.

Re: 'The Antennae issue' that people are slating it for - although I can get the signal bars to lower if I cover up on 'the spot', I've never been able to make mine drop a call or stop it receiving data because of it.

The signal is actually WAY better than the 3G, 3GS and Blackberries I've tested it against. My iPhone 4 picks up faint WiFi signals when the other devices can't even see the WiFi , let alone connect to it.

Anyone who uses the 'reception issues' in an anti-iPhone 4 argument is talking out of their ringpiece.

ha ha its so good they supply you a free case and your happy with yours good luck to you,me i would get my money back or untill they fix the problem or come up with iphone 5 like i would with any faulty product.

ha ha its so good they supply you a free case and your happy with yours good luck to you,me i would get my money back or untill they fix the problem or come up with iphone 5 like i would with any faulty product.

It isnt faulty. I dont have mine in a case and it works brilliantly. Just a load of media hype in my opinion.

I think android phones are a great alternative for people who cant afford iPhones :)

Slightly OT, but still relevant. I heard there was a port on the HD2 (Windows Mobile 6.5 OS) which would allow you to install Android as the OS instead. I've found a guide on t'interweb, but is it worth the risk? WM is a bit crap, but is Android that much better and is it worth potentially f*cking up my phone for?

Slightly OT, but still relevant. I heard there was a port on the HD2 (Windows Mobile 6.5 OS) which would allow you to install Android as the OS instead. I've found a guide on t'interweb, but is it worth the risk? WM is a bit crap, but is Android that much better and is it worth potentially f*cking up my phone for?

In a word - no!!

It isnt faulty. I dont have mine in a case and it works brilliantly. Just a load of media hype in my opinion.

I think android phones are a great alternative for people who cant afford iPhones :)

the media hype you are on about is a known issue with the apple company hence them supplying the free case and as for people not affording i phone,its up to you if you want to pay silly money for it or go on expensive contracts.:p

Lol signal on my iPhone is excellent (Essruu). And theres me thinking that signal strength was also down to the network your on! SURELY I MUST HAVE READ IT WRONG!!!PMSL :D

FOR SURE YOU DID READ IT WRONG!!! PMSL ROFL LOL HUN MONG.

The 'signal' comment I made was clearly stated to be a WiFi signal, you idiot. Not that it matters, but the 3G, 3GS, a Blackberry, some new Samsung and my iPhone 4 all had O2 SIMs bar one on Orange and were at the same table and equidistant from the WiFi router they were trying to connect to. iPhone 4 was the first to find and connect, loaded every page fastest and never dropped connection. The others were all frustrating for various reasons ranging from failing to see the network, constantly dropping connection, connecting but not loading pages, and generally being a bit flakey. A 'death grip' couldn't reduce the iPhone 4 connection or speed whatsoever.

Even when signal strength has been low I've never been able to drop a call or stop any data transfer with the so called 'death grip'.

Stop creaming yourself over the 'death grip' sensationalism - no handset, including any Android is as fast, slick and polished in equal measures as the iPhone 4. Get over it.

FOR SURE YOU DID READ IT WRONG!!! PMSL ROFL LOL HUN MONG.

The 'signal' comment I made was clearly stated to be a WiFi signal, you idiot. Not that it matters, but the 3G, 3GS, a Blackberry, some new Samsung and my iPhone 4 all had O2 SIMs bar one on Orange and were at the same table and equidistant from the WiFi router they were trying to connect to. iPhone 4 was the first to find and connect, loaded every page fastest and never dropped connection. The others were all frustrating for various reasons ranging from failing to see the network, constantly dropping connection, connecting but not loading pages, and generally being a bit flakey. A 'death grip' couldn't reduce the iPhone 4 connection or speed whatsoever.

Even when signal strength has been low I've never been able to drop a call or stop any data transfer with the so called 'death grip'.

Stop creaming yourself over the 'death grip' sensationalism - no handset, including any Android is as fast, slick and polished in equal measures as the iPhone 4. Get over it.

To be quite honest i dont give flying f-uck about the so called "Death Grip" on the iPhone 4. Every phone has some quirk or fault, its just mongs like you who try to gloss over a fault with the oh so perfect iPhone 4 that irks me! ;)

Oh and the Galaxy S beat the iPhone 4 for top phone for 2010 in over 60% of online reviews!! GET OVER IT!!!! lol

Like i've said before your sure your not STEVE JOB'S spin doctor!! PMSL S-HIT yeah your just some plank never wrong taxi driver!! lol

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

A mate at work has done his. He boots into WinMo and then runs Android over the top (is that the same as the guide you've seen?) and although pretty much everything works it is pretty sluggish. A decent port of Android would be 'tastic on that phone.

Oh, and he somehow fried his SIM while doing it. No big deal as Orange sent him a new one but...

Instead Apple seems to think that a cosmetic change to the signal strength bar display will make users happy. But it won't.

Applecare three times confirmed to Gizmodo that the software update will not fix this antenna problem, only change the way the phone displays the available signal to make it more accurate.

Gizmodo is calling for Apple to issue free cases to fix the problem. Meanwhile Iphone 4 sales continue to go through the roof. Which sadly goes to show that Apple fanboys are not actually interested in buying a product that "just works", they are interested in buying an expensive object with a fruit logo on it.

You can read mindless justifications for Apple fanboys' stupidity in buying such a gadget in the comments below. Along with the usual claims that anyone who does not agree with their cult religion is somehow 'biased' and that the reporter must be completely wrong because The INQUIRER stylesheet spells Iphone in a way that Steve did not approve. from gizmonda one of the websites that apple founder respects

Instead Apple seems to think that a cosmetic change to the signal strength bar display will make users happy. But it won't.

Applecare three times confirmed to Gizmodo that the software update will not fix this antenna problem, only change the way the phone displays the available signal to make it more accurate.

Gizmodo is calling for Apple to issue free cases to fix the problem. Meanwhile Iphone 4 sales continue to go through the roof. Which sadly goes to show that Apple fanboys are not actually interested in buying a product that "just works", they are interested in buying an expensive object with a fruit logo on it.

You can read mindless justifications for Apple fanboys' stupidity in buying such a gadget in the comments below. Along with the usual claims that anyone who does not agree with their cult religion is somehow 'biased' and that the reporter must be completely wrong because The INQUIRER stylesheet spells Iphone in a way that Steve did not approve. from gizmonda one of the websites that apple founder respects

Should rename it the APhone as only Ar-seholes with sheep mentality buy them.lol

Got an iPhone 4 as I was at the end of my old contract and could get a new phone. No sheep mentality for me, just liked the feel of the Apple and the fact that it's got a 5 mega pixel camera. I've had absolutely none of the reported reception problems; it's certainly got a better reception than my old phone (which was an LG). So, I'm happy.

Samsung Galaxy S you say?

As you form all of your opinions from online reports instead of hands-on experience, lap this up: -

http://www.t3.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s-handset-hit-by-auto-reset-bug?=48451

but that can be fixed with a firmware update unlike the iphone 4 which needs a proper antenna solution but are giving consumers a case to overcome their design fault.

Dunno, ask Sotons East Side....

I'm getting a pished off with Angry Birds; I'm on a level that I just can't complete!!!!

Which level? I've 3-starred all of them (apart from the recent new levels which I haven't started yet) as has The9 I believe.

Oh, and Sotons East Side believes in fairies and thinks the world is flat too.

• 4 weeks later...