Saints article in Guardian

SaintDonkey

A pretty fair assessment of the sate we're in

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/oct/03/southampton.championship

Particulary like

Whatever you say about Lowe – and no matter how filthy it is, it's probably already been said on one of the Southampton message-boards – he's not afraid to try new things. With no money and many experienced players on high wages sold or loaned out to cut costs, the club has had to concentrate on its academy players, a side of the club Lowe has always been keen on developing.

Does he mean us? ;)

The situation was bad enough this summer that Rupert Lowe, the man many fans blame for overextending the club in the first place, was able to return as co-chairman without being lynched.

I got confused by that bit. I don't think overextending was the problem, it was more the opposite.

I got confused by that bit. I don't think overextending was the problem, it was more the opposite.

Well there are plenty here who blame Lowe for the current financial situation - one that has arisen through the club 'over extending' since relegation ;)

Having said that I agree the author is conflating the issues of relegation and over spending in the Championship.

Thanks for posting the link. Friday's the one day I don't get the Grauniad.

I especially like the reference to Michael 'Wilder' - is this the renowned American chess grandmaster :D. What slick moves does he have in mind?

I am waiting for the final iteration and will welcome the new co-chairman Michael Wildest.

FA Cup final – a horribly one-sided final in favour of Arsenal

Funny, my memory isn't what it used to be, but I don't recall the Final being "horribly one-sided", I thought we lost 1-0. May have been horribly one-sided if Henry hadn't done us a favour and enabled Claus to stay on the pitch.

Also glad to see that The Verve are now amongst our supporters, and have attended our last 2 games.

FA Cup final – a horribly one-sided final in favour of Arsenal

Funny, my memory isn't what it used to be, but I don't recall the Final being "horribly one-sided", I thought we lost 1-0. May have been horribly one-sided if Henry hadn't done us a favour and enabled Claus to stay on the pitch.

Also glad to see that The Verve are now amongst our supporters, and have attended our last 2 games.

Like you, the match that I saw at Cardiff undoubtedly had Arsenal the much better team, but the scoreline tends to suggest that the game wasn't that one sided, especially as we would have grabbed the equaliser except for Cole's last ditch clearance off the line near the end. What would the outcome have been had that gone in? We were capable of beating Arsenal, as we had proven several times before and WGS's teams would certainly have been at least as fit as Arsenal's for another 30 minutes.

Good to see the removal of any football history pre Premiership continues. Refering to our 8th place finish as our best ever.

lol I was also pretty happy with the horribly one sided final comment! I wasn't aware we got hammered?! For my mind it was a pretty dull final neither team really deserved to win.

I'm intrigued by the name Pelforth De Menthe, especially since they used it in an earlier multiplechoice competition as well.

Now that would be an extremely nasty drink, Pelforth Brown with Mint cordial in it.Can't understand this modern day craze of putting junk in your beer.If you don't like beer drink fizzy pop,don't put peach sirop or whatever in it, show some respect.:smt004:smt004:smt004

Just a question - what do we mean by total football, as I thought it meant anybody is comfortable playing in any position and switches around?

Here's defintion:

"Total Football" is the label for an influential theory of tactical association football in which any player can take over the role of any other player in the team. It was pioneered by Dutch football club Ajax Amsterdam.

In Total Football, a player who moves out of his position is replaced by another from his team, thus retaining the team's intended organizational structure. In this fluid system, no player is fixed in his nominal role; anyone can be successively an attacker, a midfielder and a defender.

Total Football's tactical success depends largely on the adaptability of each footballer within the team, in particular their ability to quickly change positions depending on the situation. The theory requires players to be comfortable in multiple positions, hence it puts high technical and physical demands on them."