McGoldrick self indulgence is our biggest problem.

derry

Well maybe it's time he disciplined himself, plays in the position assigned, covers his defenders, marks the assigned opponent at dead ball situations, and plays like he cares. MLT he isn't.
You are saying that DMG was assigned to mark McKenzie am I right?

MLT he isnt I agree with you, I mentioned MLT only as he was an example of fans saying he was lazy etc when he turned out not only to be a great footballer but also passionate and cared about the club.

When DMG scored the pen against Norwich you could see the joy of doing so, and when the final whistle had gone he was down with the players showing his pleasure of our victory.

I think people need to read this thread again. All I said was that I was told was that McG had been told he would be the main striker.

I have not inferred it was a contractural insert and nor did Derry or Um Pahars. Anyone who thinks any player has such a thing in the contract in any sport is deluding himself.

This thread has gone off track from the original concept which is that McGoldrick is not performing as a team player in the position the Coach has asked him to play and his body language and approach is all wrong.

Against Norwich I saw him play it correct and we were better as a team. Against Ipswich and Barnsley he did not. Although I did not see the Coventry game I understand he was the same poor self.

With Perkard and Robinson available I would drop him and work on his attitude in training.

I think people need to read this thread again. All I said was that I was told was that McG had been told he would be the main striker.

I have not inferred it was a contractural insert and nor did Derry or Um Pahars. Anyone who thinks any player has such a thing in the contract in any sport is deluding himself.

This thread has gone off track from the original concept which is that McGoldrick is not performing as a team player in the position the Coach has asked him to play and his body language and approach is all wrong.

Against Norwich I saw him play it correct and we were better as a team. Against Ipswich and Barnsley he did not. Although I did not see the Coventry game I understand he was the same poor self.

With Perkard and Robinson available I would drop him and work on his attitude in training.

Thankyou for clarifting that .

You are saying that DMG was assigned to mark McKenzie am I right?

MLT he isnt I agree with you, I mentioned MLT only as he was an example of fans saying he was lazy etc when he turned out not only to be a great footballer but also passionate and cared about the club.

When DMG scored the pen against Norwich you could see the joy of doing so, and when the final whistle had gone he was down with the players showing his pleasure of our victory.

He was marking McKenzie. He let him go and belatedly appealed for offside. ITV and Sky picked up on the marker letting McKenzie go.

I'm not looking for potential in McGoldrick. He is capable of playing for the team. Against Norwich he did, Barnsley, Ipswich, Coventry he didn't.

I don't suppose James is too happy about the criticism he is getting, or the exposure to attackers running at and behind him because the wide player has gone missing.

He was marking McKenzie. He let him go and belatedly appealed for offside. ITV and Sky picked up on the marker letting McKenzie go.

I'm not looking for potential in McGoldrick. He is capable of playing for the team. Against Norwich he did, Barnsley, Ipswich, Coventry he didn't.

I don't suppose James is too happy about the criticism he is getting, or the exposure to attackers running at and behind him because the wide player has gone missing.

I didnt watch the half time bit and so didnt know he was picking up McKenzie.This is a surprise to me as I would have thought as DMG is one of our taller players he would have marked one of their centre backs.It still is harsh as whoever marked McKenzie as he moved in front of our defence in the blink of an eye and it would be nye impossible to react.

I didnt watch the half time bit and so didnt know he was picking up McKenzie.This is a surprise to me as I would have thought as DMG is one of our taller players he would have marked one of their centre backs.It still is harsh as whoever marked McKenzie as he moved in front of our defence in the blink of an eye and it would be nye impossible to react.

Specially if you don't react. McKenzie reacted and McGoldrick let him go. Also shown on Championship and Big League 2, the commentary on both emphasised the sloppy marking.

Edited by derry

Specially if you don't react. McKenzie reacted and McGoldrick let him go. Also shown on Championship and Big League 2, the commentary on both emphasised the sloppy marking.
Did it quote that DMG was assigned to McKenzie or the marking in general? At the time of the goal it looked offside, but he timed his move perfectly and I agree he was onside. I doubt many would be able to stop such a run akthough DMG could have obstructed him in some way. Having said that whoever lets a player go in a set piece is making a mistake.

Personally I think he has been one of our most potent attacking threats this season.

I think the critisism of him is unjust. He's a striker who has been asked to play on the wing. Like all of the other strikers who Jan has picked to play on the wing this season he has not really excelled yet has managed to score, get in goal-scoring positions and create chances for team mates. I think you should be pointing the finger at the manager rather than the player.

I hear so many of you going on about his attitude, what most of you really mean is his body language.

I bet he wouldnt get so much stick if he was blond haired and blue-eyed. There are currently far worse players in the team.

Personally I think he has been one of our most potent attacking threats this season.

I think the critisism of him is unjust. He's a striker who has been asked to play on the wing. Like all of the other strikers who Jan has picked to play on the wing this season he has not really excelled yet has managed to score, get in goal-scoring positions and create chances for team mates. I think you should be pointing the finger at the manager rather than the player.

I hear so many of you going on about his attitude, what most of you really mean is his body language.

I bet he wouldnt get so much stick if he was blond haired and blue-eyed. There are currently far worse players in the team.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. It is body language not attitude.

It's got nothing to do with body language. It's the fact he is not applying himself to the technical requirements. Giving us width, tracking back, passing if appropriate, as for marking, he was stood beside McKenzie when the throw in was taken if he wasn't marking McKenzie then noone else was.

The simple fact is, if he applies himself he is an asset, but playing as he often does without discipline, he shouldn't be in the team.

It's got nothing to do with body language. It's the fact he is not applying himself to the technical requirements. Giving us width, tracking back, passing if appropriate, as for marking, he was stood beside McKenzie when the throw in was taken if he wasn't marking McKenzie then noone else was.

The simple fact is, if he applies himself he is an asset, but playing as he often does without discipline, he shouldn't be in the team.

Not his cathing and taking crosses then?

So hands on hips with shoulders slumped watching the game go by at times as he definately did at times against Barnsley is not attitude. Come on get real!

I set a challenge Nickh and anyone else. Take time out to watch McGoldrick next game.

Focus on him for the whole game not just when he makes the odd fancy run or shot.

I think the lad has a bit of talent. He is not using it wisely if at all at times.

That is my last comment on the subject as I do not want to be negative going forward.

I am actually enjoying the team football more than I have for the last few years. I enjoyed McG's contribution against Norwich for what it is worth.

So hands on hips with shoulders slumped watching the game go by at times as he definately did at times against Barnsley is not attitude. Come on get real!

I set a challenge Nickh and anyone else. Take time out to watch McGoldrick next game.

Focus on him for the whole game not just when he makes the odd fancy run or shot.

I think the lad has a bit of talent. He is not using it wisely if at all at times.

That is my last comment on the subject as I do not want to be negative going forward.

I am actually enjoying the team football more than I have for the last few years. I enjoyed McG's contribution against Norwich for what it is worth.

Weston I do watch him and others.Everyone does things their own way, I would love to see him harry and chase more, but that goes for a lot of players down the years.He's 19 and will learn, I want him to score a few ore goals and really make a difference.

Not his cathing and taking crosses then?

Davis is having a good spell, his distribution is better, just don't go there, catching and crosses he doesn't do enough of. But in these times I am thankful for small mercies.

McGoldrick is the issue and he has it in his own hands to justify his place. If he doesn't and continues to get picked he will get hammered by the fans.

I suspect his critics far outnumber his supporters and that's his and Lowe's problem.

3 pages of varied opinions on DMG , Tell the truth.......... He is a Lazy Bugger who thinks he is a lot better than he really is. He should be playing in the reserves this afternoon and told our young first team has no room for Big Time Charlie's,(or Davids!!!)

Weston I do watch him and others.Everyone does things their own way, I would love to see him harry and chase more, but that goes for a lot of players down the years.He's 19 and will learn, I want him to score a few ore goals and really make a difference.

He will score more goals comiing in off the line on the back post as Tabb did on Saturday, and the one real chance we had that he messed up, rather than being physically dominated by the centre backs. If he was effective up the middle he would be picked there,

How very amusing. Isnt this pretty much what several England managers said about Le Tis. Not that I'm comparing him to Le Tis of course. However, how many times have we heard this about Le tis and other flair players.

Some of you may wish to watch 11 huffing puffing players who fall down dead with exhaustion at the end of a game but I personally like to see a balanced team with a mix of hard workers (ie. Surman, Cork, Wooton) and some genuine flair players (Mc Goldrick and Lallana).

Arsenal seem to have the balance about right - how many times do you see Theo track back and defend? Hardly ever. In fact I would say that McGoldrick puts much more defensive work in that Theo during the course of game in like-for-like positions.

Why do some managers condone some players not working as hard and being as disciplined as other players? Because they feel that the player is talented enough to know what to do and thereofre should be left alone to apply his ability as he feels best having regard to the players he is playing against and with. Of course not all players can do that but one or two in a team like ours with the system we play is quite reasonable.

Some of you have cited McGoldrick for being at fault for one of the goals on Saturday which he clearly was. I also can agree that he played very poorly all game - uncharacteristically poor in my opinion though. But for feck's sake, please bear in mind he is a forward. I don't see so many of you making such a big deal about our defenders and defensive midfielders when they CONTINUE to make sloppy mistakes.

I also agree with Jnr Mullett that he didnt play that well but he was not the worst player on the ball.I recall how he took that high ball down in one movement and then went to make room for an effort on goal.

Without a doubt he amde a right hash of his 1 on 1 and should have made the keeper work harder or score.

Absolutely

And who is alledged to have told McGoldrick this????

Jan or Lowe???

How very amusing. Isnt this pretty much what several England managers said about Le Tis. Not that I'm comparing him to Le Tis of course. However, how many times have we heard this about Le tis and other flair players.

Problem is, McGoldrick isn't a flair player, but instead needs to work hard at creating and scoring chances, something he does not look like he is capable of doing at the moment.

Is it confidence, is it arrogance, is it motivation or is it simply that he is not up to the grade required???

I don't know, but I do know from the games I have seen, is that he is not delivering and he is certainly not living up to the billing given to him by many at the Club and on here.

I quite agree Weston. I sometimes thinks Nickh would rather argue black was white rather than say "actually old chap perhaps you are right".

He's a decent enough bloke but sometimes needs to wind his neck in when faced with facts.

I would like to ask him if he doesn't believe it why has DMc started all and finished all but one match this season - especially as one of JP's favourite excuse at the moment is "the players are tired". That would either suggest Weston is spot on and McGoldrick has been told he is the resident centre-forward or he is completely bionic and the athlete of the season so far.

Portaloo was always going to be a yes man. I wouldn't be suprised if lowe doesn't fax him the team sheet, that him and Wotte have drawn up, before each game. And NO, i'm not jesting. With lowe it really would not suprise me. Anyone remember Augustin Delgado?

I quite agree Weston. I sometimes thinks Nickh would rather argue black was white rather than say "actually old chap perhaps you are right".

He's a decent enough bloke but sometimes needs to wind his neck in when faced with facts.

I would like to ask him if he doesn't believe it why has DMc started all and finished all but one match this season - especially as one of JP's favourite excuse at the moment is "the players are tired". That would either suggest Weston is spot on and McGoldrick has been told he is the resident centre-forward or he is completely bionic and the athlete of the season so far.

The only centre forward playing on the wing!!!He probably can play every gsame as he's allegedly lazy. I can't be bothered to look up facts about appearances so far this season but I thought he had been subbed a couple of times and also on the bench, but I could be wrong.

So in short you believe a 19year old is guaranteed a starting place. lol

Get something right and Id be happy to agree, if you keep believing that DMG has been promised a starting place whatever we're not likely to agree on anything.

nickh, do you think it is right for the Chairman to tell any player that they will be the first name on the team sheet??
I dont think it would be right no. I can see where you are trying to lead this, but categorically no. Ambramovich did it allegedly and he was wrong and if RL did it he would be wrong.

UMP, now you answer this do you believe a chairman would guarantee a starting place for the season to a 19year old?

I really dont know if any player has been guarenteed a starting place at any club ever but perhaps behind closed doors it has happened with players like Keegan Beckham etc to get them to sign.I recall a similar rumour abotu Mark Hughes when he was here and he never seemed to be dropped, then he did and the rumour disappeared.

UMP, now you answer this do you believe a chairman would guarantee a starting place for the season to a 19year old?

Guaranteeing a starting place may not be the right terminology, but I certainly don't think that the Chairman should be anywhere near team selection issues.

So is our Chairman involved, to any degree, in team selection???

For what its worth whenever I have seen McGoldrick play he always gets into some good positions and either does not have the composure to score or chooses the incorrect option. E.g. against Coventry when he 'passed' it inot the keepers arms rather than the two better choices of A) getting close enough to the keeper to slot it, or B) passing to the unmarked BWP to fire into the empty net. He chose to shoot early which was clearly the wrong choice. He also missed two other clear opportunities as well. If Stern John is available, I would pick him and if hes not, this Robertson looks better at holding up the ball than McG. Thing is, the right side is really killing us and part of it has to be due to the lack of defensive nous down that side of the pitch. We have too many forwards in midfield right now rather than genuine wide midfield players.

If McGoldrick is picked wide, and it doesn't look like he is rated in the top three to play up front, it's the only place he is likely to be picked. So he either has to make the best of it or not be picked. I happen to think that if he played wide, out to in, he would get a lot of opportunity to attack the ball at the far post when we are attacking down the left.

Having said that, unless he predominantly stays on the touchline, he causes us to be narrow in attack, allowing the opposing back four to compact, the midfield to join them, and crowd us out. This happened against Coventry, Blackpool and Barnsley.

In defence by McGoldrick not being wide, it allows the opposition to stretch our back four, but even worse isolates the right back, and causes the central defenders to be dragged across leaving a gap on our left side, such as Tabbs two goals and Best hitting the post against Coventry.

Problem is, McGoldrick isn't a flair player, but instead needs to work hard at creating and scoring chances, something he does not look like he is capable of doing at the moment.

Is it confidence, is it arrogance, is it motivation or is it simply that he is not up to the grade required???

I don't know, but I do know from the games I have seen, is that he is not delivering and he is certainly not living up to the billing given to him by many at the Club and on here.

I disagree. Within our current set up he is a flair player.

In answer to your question, I think he has not yet quite sussed out how to play at CCC level. Having watched him at Youth and ressie level he played as the front man with Lallana behind him in the hole and later on he played in the hole himself with Basseya up front. His goalscoring record at those levels is nothing short of phenominal.

Most of his goals came from clevel through balls through the middle from Lallana and James - he would run on to them, control the ball well and then finish. He used his acceleration, strength and control to excellent effect. It's not that simple in the CCC and playing on the right is pretty much new to him this year.

Understandably he resorts to the methods that worked so well for him in the youths and ressies but is quickly learning Im sure that he needs to adapt his game at this level.

I have no doubt he has the ability and motivation and arrogance needed to make it at this level. The only questions are whether he can adapt and can the coaches identify how he needs to adapt. Only then will we see whether he takes that on board or whether he is unwilling or unable to adapt.

It's too early to write-off him, his ability or his attitude yet. Frankly the stick he gets each game sickens me. In the same way it sickened me when the same people used to shout obsenities to Jones, Fuller, Wright, Euell, Wright-Phillips, Dyer etc. I look around at games and its the same people every time - just waiting to have a go as soon as they get on the ball - I've even seen people look disappointed when one of their targets scores or does something positive.

I disagree. Within our current set up he is a flair player.

In answer to your question, I think he has not yet quite sussed out how to play at CCC level. Having watched him at Youth and ressie level he played as the front man with Lallana behind him in the hole and later on he played in the hole himself with Basseya up front. His goalscoring record at those levels is nothing short of phenominal.

Most of his goals came from clevel through balls through the middle from Lallana and James - he would run on to them, control the ball well and then finish. He used his acceleration, strength and control to excellent effect. It's not that simple in the CCC and playing on the right is pretty much new to him this year.

Understandably he resorts to the methods that worked so well for him in the youths and ressies but is quickly learning Im sure that he needs to adapt his game at this level.

I have no doubt he has the ability and motivation and arrogance needed to make it at this level. The only questions are whether he can adapt and can the coaches identify how he needs to adapt. Only then will we see whether he takes that on board or whether he is unwilling or unable to adapt.

It's too early to write-off him, his ability or his attitude yet. Frankly the stick he gets each game sickens me. In the same way it sickened me when the same people used to shout obsenities to Jones, Fuller, Wright, Euell, Wright-Phillips, Dyer etc. I look around at games and its the same people every time - just waiting to have a go as soon as they get on the ball - I've even seen people look disappointed when one of their targets scores or does something positive.

Interesting post.

Presumably the statement that we are playing young players who know each other from the youth team and reserves means little if McGoldick is told to play wide, with Lallana playing in the hole?

In your opinion is there something wrong with the way JP is using these players at the moment?

I would take all of this condemnation of the lad's talents more seriously if I hadn't heard it all before - Jones, Fuller, Best. Blackstock...

Here here! These are the same people who were saying Kenwyne Jones is the worst player to pull on a Saints shirt. Strikers do miss chances from time to time, it is worrying when they don't get opportunities.

Here here! These are the same people who were saying Kenwyne Jones is the worst player to pull on a Saints shirt. Strikers do miss chances from time to time, it is worrying when they don't get opportunities.

Before you throw away catch all statements, do your homework first. I have never ever criticised any of the strikers previously named. It would be better if you exhibited some judgement.

McGoldrick has ability, but his lack of discipline is blunting our attack and exposing our defence.

Interesting post.

Presumably the statement that we are playing young players who know each other from the youth team and reserves means little if McGoldick is told to play wide, with Lallana playing in the hole?

In your opinion is there something wrong with the way JP is using these players at the moment?

My point was really that CCC defenders are wise to the types of passes he is used to scoring from, hence they manage to snuff out attacks most of the time. There are times when he gets through ie. as he did against Cov but it's not as easy as it was at a lower level. Hence he has to adapt his game and those providing service to him do too.

Breaking down defences in the CCC and prem is probably the hardest nut to crack and so I'm not surprised we fail to do that week in week out. Personally I'm happy with the progress that's been made so far this season. However, it will be worthless unless the team continue to work hard on their game. The team and coaches must work hard in all areas to ensure that that happens.

Do I think JP is not playing the players correctly? Perhaps sometimes, but I don't necessarily think it's all his fault. Unlike Burley I find myself agreeing with most of JP's team selections. We are in the process of rebuilding. Until we get rid of the remaining high-earning crap at the club I expect he cannot afford to sign or loan all of those players he would like. However, I'm encouraged by the signings that have been made, particularly in Holmes, Schneiderlin and Cork and I have every faith that Smith and Jordan will do a job for us too. If I were in JP's shoes with the players he has available I would play McGoldrick attacking RM at the moment as he is doing - I would also spend hours analysing his performances and coaching him to get the best from him. I really do think he is worth the effort.

In a few months time we will all have a better idea as to who can play where and how. That's really the time judge JP's utilisation of the players at his disposal.

My point was really that CCC defenders are wise to the types of passes he is used to scoring from, hence they manage to snuff out attacks most of the time. There are times when he gets through ie. as he did against Cov but it's not as easy as it was at a lower level. Hence he has to adapt his game and those providing service to him do too.

Breaking down defences in the CCC and prem is probably the hardest nut to crack and so I'm not surprised we fail to do that week in week out. Personally I'm happy with the progress that's been made so far this season. However, it will be worthless unless the team continue to work hard on their game. The team and coaches must work hard in all areas to ensure that that happens.

Do I think JP is not playing the players correctly? Perhaps sometimes, but I don't necessarily think it's all his fault. Unlike Burley I find myself agreeing with most of JP's team selections. We are in the process of rebuilding. Until we get rid of the remaining high-earning crap at the club I expect he cannot afford to sign or loan all of those players he would like. However, I'm encouraged by the signings that have been made, particularly in Holmes, Schneiderlin and Cork and I have every faith that Smith and Jordan will do a job for us too. If I were in JP's shoes with the players he has available I would play McGoldrick attacking RM at the moment as he is doing - I would also spend hours analysing his performances and coaching him to get the best from him. I really do think he is worth the effort.

In a few months time we will all have a better idea as to who can play where and how. That's really the time judge JP's utilisation of the players at his disposal.

I would play McGoldrick RM as well, but insist he plays wide and out to in, rather than wandering inside all the time, narrowing our attacks, making us easier to defend against and most importantly exposing our right side to counter attacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Surely its about time Jan P dropped McG as he is not benefitting the team at the moment. Firstly to shake him up and drop the attitude and secondly to really have a look at these loans we have, i.e. Peckardt and Robertson, alongside an experienced player, i.e. S John. What is the point of having them in the squad if you don't use them to pep up the competition for places?

I beleive DMG will become a vvery good player. Like Lallana he gets into some great positions with tremendous skill, yes he does fluff chances butr he is only young and will learn.

We cannot afford to get on players backs and he is doing ok.

As for Drew he was more greedy than DMG last night.

Nick you are, of course, entitled to your opinion but I think you are so wide of the mark with this it is unbelieveable. Robertson is a more complete player already, McGoldrick has a decent touch and when he wants to can play. However he has one big flaw and that is his arrogance and petulance.

Arrogant to believe he is good enough to take a one step run up for a penalty when even the best in the world take a proper run up, and the petulance to walk off to the touch line when he was prevented from taking the second penalty.

He has been around first team football to know better and there is nothing in his game to suggest to me he will get any better. The fact that the movement on Saturday was abysmal may explain the lack of passing from Surman - he had no options, Surman is also a team player, more so than McG will ever be.

Something is not straight as he started off as the main striker and has been moved off to the wing which suggests to me that JP wants him to think about a few things.

Hopefully the deal with Forest is still available and we can get rid of him and keep someone like Lallana.

good post McGoldrick is the new hatchet man for the fans,i remember kenwynne jones getting slated when he first played and turned into a good player.

McGoldrick has no self discipline. Again yesterday he let his assigned man go as per Coventry and was berated by Perry.

He can't be bothered to do anything that needs effort. For example when was the last time he went on a run into the goal area just on the chance a ball may break or a rebound come out.

He never ever goes on a run to try and take his marker out of the way to make space for someone else.

When he has the ball passing is a last resort. He is not a team player prepared to put in the effort for his team.

I personally feel that he should only be used as a substitute or not at all until he starts to put the effort in. His hands on hip pose isn't appropriate. We don't need lazy spectators on the pitch.

good post McGoldrick is the new hatchet man for the fans,i remember kenwynne jones getting slated when he first played and turned into a good player.

Think you mean whipping boy rather than hatchet man.

Anyway McG is crap but he's cheap crap,BWP is the guy who's case you should all be on, does nothing, but boy does that nothing cost a lot.

Derry, I totally agree with you. He is not hungry enough. Maybe it's because he now has a 4-year contract.

Maybe , just maybe ..he is not a lone striker..and get ****e service and support in this formation...the lad has shown he can score goals , maybe in a 4-4-2 formation where he had bags of goals in the reserves a few seasons ago.

Maybe , just maybe ..he is not a lone striker..and get ****e service and support in this formation...the lad has shown he can score goals , maybe in a 4-4-2 formation where he had bags of goals in the reserves a few seasons ago.

Pekhart got bags of goals for Spurs' reserves last season.

You're right, though, this formation stinks.

It's not the formation that changes anything, it's the quality of the players performing it.

Moving BWP (who's supposed to be a striker) up to make a double pronged attacked with McGoldrick won't change anything.Lallana isn't a striker either, but then he's not a playmaker .Our problem (from what I can work out) is that our midfield can't play the wave system that goes with Jan's type of football.

I've seen it work, even used it,but you need players that can win the ball and distribute it. Morgan was apparently very disappointing yesterday,perhaps he's not adjusting well to the style of his team mates. "Total football" needs absolute confidence in your team mates, if it's not there the system can't work.

It's not the formation that changes anything, it's the quality of the players performing it.

Moving BWP (who's supposed to be a striker) up to make a double pronged attacked with McGoldrick won't change anything.Lallana isn't a striker either, but then he's not a playmaker .Our problem (from what I can work out) is that our midfield can't play the wave system that goes with Jan's type of football.

I've seen it work, even used it,but you need players that can win the ball and distribute it. Morgan was apparently very disappointing yesterday,perhaps he's not adjusting well to the style of his team mates. "Total football" needs absolute confidence in your team mates, if it's not there the system can't work.

Schneiderlin can't be matchfit yet, McGoldrick doesn't put in the effort.