McGoldrick self indulgence is our biggest problem.

derry

McGoldrick is one of the most self indulgent players I have ever seen.

When he plays wide, disciplines himself and provides us with width we play well. There is no big space on the right, that James tries to get into leaving space behind him to be exploited.

He spent most of the game yesterday wandering inside as he did against Blackpool leaving no passing option wide. Worse still giving no cover to our right side, allowing opponents to come at us in waves down their left.

He let his man go for the second goal and didn't mark him. His passing when he actually decided to pass was poor. He seems the only player in the team that seems to pass as a last resort rather than a first option.

His ignoring the passing option to Pekart who had an open goal and was unmarked was disgraceful.

What the hell is the manager doing letting him destroy the teams shape, when he should either drop him, take him off or preferably make the idiot play for the team.

When he plays wide, disciplines himself and provides us with width we play well. There is no big space on the right, that James tries to get into leaving space behind him to be exploited.

He spent most of the game yesterday wandering inside as he did against Blackpool leaving no passing option wide. Worse still giving no cover to our right side, allowing opponents to come at us in waves down their left.

He let his man go for the second goal and didn't mark him. His passing when he actually decided to pass was poor. He seems the only player in the team that seems to pass as a last resort rather than a first option.

His ignoring the passing option to Pekart who had an open goal and was unmarked was disgraceful.

What the hell is the manager doing letting him destroy the teams shape, when he should either drop him, take him off or preferably make the idiot play for the team.

Unfortunately the manager thinks McGoldrick is better than he actually is....as does the player himself.

JP has jumped all over others when they have been poor by taking them off or leaving them out but it doesnt seem to apply with DM.

Everything you say is 100% true.

Be fair, he was through on goal with only the keeper to beat - it was a weak shot but you can't blame him for shooting.

I was going to say something similar about Drew Surman! The amount of shots he had that went wide, over or generally nowhere near the goal when he had a team mate in a better position drove me mad!

Very selfish performance yesterday that looked like all he wanted was to be a hero.

Be fair, he was through on goal with only the keeper to beat - it was a weak shot but you can't blame him for shooting.

Don't be daft, Pekart was 5 yds to his left having bust a gut to get there, unmarked with an open goal.

Forwards only convert a small number of chances in that position, goalkeepers usually save it. Pekart had an open goal FFS.

Furthermore McGoldrick is not a clean striker of the ball, he scuffs more often than he gets a decent strike.

He is also selfish, that is why he didn't pass, and didn't play for the team, causing us big problems.

Guest Hacienda

It was said in the summer that Lowe had informed DM that he was 1st choice striker and would start every game, which was why he didn't go to Notts Forest, his home town club.

Colin Calderwood had been to see him play and a deal was in the offing.

Telling a young lad that he's "untouchable" was/is a big mistake.

To be fair Mcgoldrick should of scored at 3-1 yesterday it was a awfull shot i thought he played **** all game on the coach home some of us put him down as a laugh for man of match.

He shouldn't have even taken the shot on, Pekart had an open goal, and that was the least of his problems. Wrecking the team shape, not covering his colleagues, failing to mark for the second goal was unacceptable.

Edited by derry

It was said in the summer that Lowe had informed DM that he was 1st choice striker and would start every game, which was why he didn't go to Notts Forest, his home town club.

We all know what happened when Euell was taken off last season. McGoldrick is getting pretty close to becoming the same.

Lowe may like him, but if he continues to **** off the supporters, he is on his way to an uncomfortable experience.

I think we are aiming at the wrong person Surman was outrageous in his greedy attitude, he took freekicks and shots at the expense of putting playes in better positions.

No we aren't Nick, this thread is about McGoldrick not Surman or specifically yesterday's match. If you think Surman was a problem then start another thread.

No we aren't Nick, this thread is about McGoldrick not Surman or specifically yesterday's match. If you think Surman was a problem then start another thread.
I beleive DMG will become a vvery good player. Like Lallana he gets into some great positions with tremendous skill, yes he does fluff chances butr he is only young and will learn.

We cannot afford to get on players backs and he is doing ok.

As for Drew he was more greedy than DMG last night.

'it was said' come on Hac dont make a qute like that mean it is 100% correct. I would more than likely expect he was told that the older players were going and he would be up the pecking order, not guarenteed to play.

McGoldrick is totally overrated and overplayed.

He is not a wide player at all and is on a good day a very average striker.

It is just the mangement that cannot see it.

I agree, but if picked to play there, he has to discipline himself and play wide. Jay Tabb scored twice coming in on the back post yesterday. McGoldrick wouldn't have got either of those goals because he wouldn't have been there.

I beleive DMG will become a vvery good player. Like Lallana he gets into some great positions with tremendous skill, yes he does fluff chances butr he is only young and will learn.

Why?

So we are only allowed to praise them then?

He needs to be dropped as he is clearly poor at the moment and then perhaps

he might learn something along the lines of giving a bit more effort

and to track back to help our full back.

Countless times against Norwich and Coventry he did just the opposite

and left 2 on 1 .

Don't even compare him to Lallana he is not in the same class. McGoldrick has some ability with a bad attitude, and unless he learns to be part of a team is going nowhere.

I think the supporters will turn on him shortly. I can see it coming.

The title of this thread is "McGoldrick self indulgence is our biggest problem." I don`t think that it is our biggest problem. It is certainly a major problem but I think that our lack of experience in defence is a bigger one. In some respects this year is a repeat of last season. Then we all knew that we desperately needed to bolster the CD dept and did nothing but sign less than average midfielders. This season it has been obvious from the start that the full-back position in particular needed someone with experience and an organizer and again despite all of the loans that we have made none have really been at FB. This will cost us if not addressed.

Don't even compare him to Lallana he is not in the same class. McGoldrick has some ability with a bad attitude, and unless he learns to be part of a team is going nowhere.

I think the supporters will turn on him shortly. I can see it coming.

Different type of players and both will make very good footballers.

I dont see a bad attitude and that is something that I do look for.

The title of this thread is "McGoldrick self indulgence is our biggest problem." I don`t think that it is our biggest problem. It is certainly a major problem but I think that our lack of experience in defence is a bigger one. In some respects this year is a repeat of last season. Then we all knew that we desperately needed to bolster the CD dept and did nothing but sign less than average midfielders. This season it has been obvious from the start that the full-back position in particular needed someone with experience and an organizer and again despite all of the loans that we have made none have really been at FB. This will cost us if not addressed.

I'm not disagreeing, but the right back has been completely without support. McGoldrick abandoning width and drifting inside is exposing James.

Why?

So we are only allowed to praise them then?

He needs to be dropped as he is clearly poor at the moment and then perhaps

he might learn something along the lines of giving a bit more effort

and to track back to help our full back.

Countless times against Norwich and Coventry he did just the opposite

and left 2 on 1 .

Well if you want us to spiral down then get on the backs of 19-22 year olds who have been thrust in to the first team a bit before they are ready due to financial circumstances.

I'm not disagreeing, but the right back has been completely without support. McGoldrick abandoning width and drifting inside is exposing James.
Hold on there is no way DMG can be blamed for either of Tabbs goals.This is taking things too far. Who was picking up Mckenzie for the second or the the midfielder who broke through before halftime in the middle? Get it real the first was a great run and the ball curled just right for Tabb as it looked it was Mills ball until it did.

Different type of players and both will make very good footballers.

I dont see a bad attitude and that is something that I do look for.

If he doesn't play where he is picked, and leaves the team exposed, passes as a last resort, doesn't mark his assigned opponent, that is a bad attitude and self indulgent.

If he doesn't play where he is picked, and leaves the team exposed, passes as a last resort, doesn't mark his assigned opponent, that is a bad attitude and self indulgent.

Derry you are making statements that you and I dont know the true facts.From what I have seen Jan has been ruthless to players if they dont do as they are assigned. BWP and Dyer prime examples, even Pekhart the other day. The passing issue you can tag at many of our players, do not tell me the lallana and Surman did not do as much if not more last night.Self indulgent was to aimed at Drew Imo yesterday, do you recall Robertson wanting to take the free kick but drew not letting him and shooting into row z?

I have never rated McGoldrick and have been consistent with that from day one.

For me he is in the Craig Maskell, Nicky Banger, David Puckett line of players, in that whilst they're definitely beter than me, they're not good enough to play at the top level (or even this level!!!).

Is JP his own man, or has Lowe some influence on the team with this story of how McGoldrick is the first name on the team sheet story (which is something I have heard from a number of sources now)?

But is McGoldrick's slf indulgence our biggest problem????

Personally, although he is a problem, I don't think he is our biggest problem. For me that is the full backs, the sytem they play in and our general defensive frailties.

Nickh, I think you should listen to Derry when it comes to tactics, he is spot on with this one.

I did not see last nights match as I was out late afternoon/all evening so I cannot comment on McG for that one but I have closely watched him over the other games and he does not play in position, reduces the passing option as a result, that caused a narrowing of play, opens up the wing for the opposition to attack, exposes the full back who tries to cover that area in McG's absence.

He is lazy, selfish, does not track back enough and sulks way too much.

He is becoming a liability and needs a kick up the backside.

Well if you want us to spiral down then get on the backs of 19-22 year olds who have been thrust in to the first team a bit before they are ready due to financial circumstances.

We are on a downward spiral and if we continue like we are it will gather pace.

So we can "get on the backs" of experienced players then but not young ones

then?

Do we not take in to account ability then?

J Wright amongst others was castigated by lots on here for being poor but he was playing in a role which was not his natural position but because he was "experienced" that was ok...double standards..

If the player, what ever his age is in the team he has to expect critisism that is part of football and always will be,he cannot be wrapped in cotton wool.

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Colin Calderwood had been to see him play and a deal was in the offing.Telling a young lad that he's "untouchable" was/is a big mistake.

That should perhaps be rephrased as ...a deal was in the offing until Colin Calderwood saw him play.

I agree with your conclusion,and was very disappointed when the rumour came out that McGoldrick would be our first choice striker,although as I said at the time it was increasingly obvious that he was becoming our only choice as striker.

So far it seems JP has tried to bring in alternatives in Pekhart and Robertson but the jury is out on both of them.

I have never rated McGoldrick and have been consistent with that from day one.

For me he is in the Craig Maskell, Nicky Banger, David Puckett line of players, in that whilst they're definitely beter than me, they're not good enough to play at the top level (or even this level!!!).

Is JP his own man, or has Lowe some influence on the team with this story of how McGoldrick is the first name on the team sheet story (which is something I have heard from a number of sources now)?

But is McGoldrick's slf indulgence our biggest problem????

Personally, although he is a problem, I don't think he is our biggest problem. For me that is the full backs, the sytem they play in and our general defensive frailties.

UMP your quote about 'and first on the team sheet ' is misleading IMO. You would no doubt hear the same thing, especially if those people were naive enough to believe it. it is absolute nonsense IMO and another of the fairy tales that grow up on these sites.It is also a useful way to subliminly beat RL.

DMG will be become a far better player than the ones you stated and when he puts his chances away as he grows then you will perhaps be more tolerant.Forget not he is not playing in his natural position as is James

Nickh, I think you should listen to Derry when it comes to tactics, he is spot on with this one.

I did not see last nights match as I was out late afternoon/all evening so I cannot comment on McG for that one but I have closely watched him over the other games and he does not play in position, reduces the passing option as a result, that caused a narrowing of play, opens up the wing for the opposition to attack, exposes the full back who tries to cover that area in McG's absence.

Some people have favourites, I don't and criticize weaknesses. McGoldrick's self indulgence is our biggest problem if it exposes even more the defensive weakness of the right back. McGoldrick holding width helps the right back.

Yesterday it was the ball inside James that led to, I think three goals. The second was the flicked on throwin from Gunnarson where McGoldrick let his man go.

We are on a downward spiral and if we continue like we are it will gather pace.

So we can "get on the backs" of experienced players then but not young ones

then?

Do we not take in to account ability then?

J Wright amongst others was castigated by lots on here for being poor but he was playing in a role which was not his natural position but because he was "experienced" that was ok...double standards..

If the player, what ever his age is in the team he has to expect critisism that is part of football and always will be,he cannot be wrapped in cotton wool.

I would suggest we get on the backs of none of then as in the long term we are the ones who get hurt most, they can move on.

I am critical of Drew from last night but wont get on his back

Some people have favourites, I don't and criticize weaknesses. McGoldrick's self indulgence is our biggest problem if it exposes even more the defensive weakness of the right back. McGoldrick holding width helps the right back.

Yesterday it was the ball inside James that led to, I think three goals. The second was the flicked on throwin from Gunnarson where McGoldrick let his man go.

Hold on McKenzie wasnt being marked by DMG at set pieces, we were playing 4 up front for the 4th, the first was a cross that a fullback should cover not a wide midfielder.

I would suggest we get on the backs of none of then as in the long term we are the ones who get hurt most, they can move on.

Neither will I, but that won't stop McGoldrick getting unmerciful stick if he doesn't change his attitude. The Lowe rumour isn't going to do him any favours in that direction either.

Some people have favourites, I don't
Derry you dont have favourites but you do seem to get campaigns up in your head against some. Lets see how this plays out, I believe that DMG will become a very good player you dont. Time will tell.

DMG is not a favourite of mine in fact I havent a favourite player. I stand up for players I believe who are wrongfully treated it was KD up to recently with you and now it seems we will have our friendly exchanges on DMG.If he has a poor game I will agree but last night he was not our worst.

UMP your quote about 'and first on the team sheet ' is misleading IMO. You would no doubt hear the same thing, especially if those people were naive enough to believe it. it is absolute nonsense IMO and another of the fairy tales that grow up on these sites.It is also a useful way to subliminly beat RL.

It was phrased as a question as to it's veracity.

It may indeed be a fairy story, but there may also be an element of truth in there. One of my biggest worries is the involvement of Lowe in the playing side of things.

He stuck his oar in when we had strong managers around, so it would not surprise me if he was doing it again (this time with someone who owes it all to him and someone who might be more amenable to it, having worked on the continent where involvement from above is more accepted).

DMG will be become a far better player than the ones you stated and when he puts his chances away as he grows then you will perhaps be more tolerant.

I personally doubt it, but ultimately this argument is redundant until two years down the line, because only history will be able to judge whether or not McGoldrick can make the jump from prolific youth team scorer to doing it in the first team.

Forget not he is not playing in his natural position as is James

Which is another problem with the team, the manager, the selectiona nd tactics. Something I alluded to when I said McGoldrick is not the biggest problem, mainly because there are even bigger ones out there.

It was you that used the term "get on his back"

So should we get on the coach`s back then as it is him (Allegedly) who is selecting a grossly underperforming player but you don`t agree with that either do you?

So lets all just sit around quietly after paying our admission fee and accept

whatever is dished up with out question shall we?

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Neither will I, but that won't stop McGoldrick getting unmerciful stick if he doesn't change his attitude. The Lowe rumour isn't going to do him any favours in that direction either.
I know you wont Derry, but how can Lowe stop that rumopur.He's not allowed to say anything as the supporters dont want him to talk and anyway if he did they wouildnt believe it.It is just another nonsense rumour, and there is no way a player of that age would be told he was a definite starter, I understand some ofthe kids on here believing it but not the more mature posters.

Hold on McKenzie wasnt being marked by DMG at set pieces, we were playing 4 up front for the 4th, the first was a cross that a fullback should cover not a wide midfielder.

For the second goal Sky highlighted several times and commented on McGoldrick letting the scorer go, whilst appealing for offside with his arm in the air.

The first goal was not directly attributable to McGoldrick. He was however in the centre and not wide. His wandering off the line left James continually exposed.

It was you that used the term "get on his back"

So should we get on the coach`s back then as it is him (Allegedly) who is selecting a grossly underperforming player but you don`t agree with that either

do you?

So lets all just sit around quietly after paying our admission fee and accept

whatever is dished up with out question shall we?

You are a bit tetchy aren't you today?

If it makjes you feel better do it, but dont expect better perfomances as it wont happen if you do.

The thing about the 14k attendances has been the fans tremendous patience and that is credit tpo those who turn up.The majority have got behind the team and the players have appreciated that.Go and boo see us spiral down and go into lge 1 and all that goes with it, but at least you were able to show your dissatisfaction at a load of young players who have been thrust into the deep end a little before their time.A team that has ably got 11 points in some tough fixtures (some easier). If you think I dont get frustrated you'd be wrong but i can see the folly of booing players who need all the help they can get.

For the second goal Sky highlighted several times and commented on McGoldrick letting the scorer go, whilst appealing for offside with his arm in the air.

The first goal was not directly attributable to McGoldrick. He was however in the centre and not wide. His wandering off the line left James continually exposed.

well I didnt hear that all I heard was them saying that they thought McKenzie had strayed offside and had gambled.

I know you wont Derry, but how can Lowe stop that rumopur.He's not allowed to say anything as the supporters dont want him to talk and anyway if he did they wouildnt believe it.It is just another nonsense rumour, and there is no way a player of that age would be told he was a definite starter, I understand some ofthe kids on here believing it but not the more mature posters.

Well I was told back in July that McG was told he would be our main striker. I was also told then which players would not figure and who would be sold and he was right on that too.

Is Lowe having a influence in picking the team? Probably, is what I have been told.

You are a bit tetchy aren't you today?

If it makjes you feel better do it, but dont expect better perfomances as it wont happen if you do.

The thing about the 14k attendances has been the fans tremendous patience and that is credit tpo those who turn up.The majority have got behind the team and the players have appreciated that.Go and boo see us spiral down and go into lge 1 and all that goes with it, but at least you were able to show your dissatisfaction at a load of young players who have been thrust into the deep end a little before their time.A team that has ably got 11 points in some tough fixtures (some easier). If you think I dont get frustrated you'd be wrong but i can see the folly of booing players who need all the help they can get.

Although i don`t have to justify it to you, i am not one for booing

young or old.

If as you say these players are forced in before their time then the blame

must lay at your other hero`s door, a certain Rupert Lowe but now you will say "we have no choice as finances dictate how we operate"

One outstanding question,

If we have zero money then why did we buy Morgan?

IMO we had limited funds and Lowe and his puppets chose this way

Whilst all this is true... We must remember that McGoldrick isn't a wide midfielder, he's a striker being asked to play out of position so it's not so surprising that he tends to drift into the middle a bit more than he should.

DMG will be become a far better player than the ones you stated and when he puts his chances away as he grows then you will perhaps be more tolerant.Forget not he is not playing in his natural position as is James

Nail head etc etc.

That is the real problem, we shouldn't be subliminally beating Lowe - or Wilde - we should be getting it out in the open and showing our frustration as fans for what this numpty has done to our club once again....

Derry you dont have favourites but you do seem to get campaigns up in your head against some. Lets see how this plays out, I believe that DMG will become a very good player you dont. Time will tell.

DMG is not a favourite of mine in fact I havent a favourite player. I stand up for players I believe who are wrongfully treated it was KD up to recently with you and now it seems we will have our friendly exchanges on DMG.If he has a poor game I will agree but last night he was not our worst.

Kelvin Davies was dire last year. This year he has improved in some areas, distribution, coming for the odd cross, whilst his undoubted shotstopping has been good. If he drops back he will again be criticised

McGoldrick in the here and now is causing big problems for us. He is also not scoring regularly or creating regularly. With these players, talking of the future means nothing, they are in the first team and the problems are now.

Whilst all this is true... We must remember that McGoldrick isn't a wide midfielder, he's a striker being asked to play out of position so it's not so surprising that he tends to drift into the middle a bit more than he should.

It's not a bit, it is all the time, he just doesn't play where he is picked. Either he plays where he is picked or he doesn't play at all.

If he doesn't think he can play wide, which he can, where is he going to play, because he sure as hell isn't good enough at this time to play as a central striker.

at the end of the day, were playing strikers out wide and out of position,

being professionals they should adapt but its still not there natural position

we need 2 old fasioned wingers who like nothing more than running up and down the touchline.

even if it means playing another youngster, aslong as its his favoured position

AH that be that Total football for ya.