Are you afraid of dying or getting old?

Master Bates

I'm not afraid of dying itself, I mean, what's the point of being afraid of something inevitable? The only thing I'm afraid of is not being able to see how humanity progresses, will we ever be able to visit other galaxies? Will there ever be laser guns? I will never know, because i'll be dead.

:rip:

Me too. It has always been the one thing that stops me drifting off to sleep once I dwell on the subject.

Agreed, if I start thinking about it, then it becomes impossible to comprehend and I find I terrify myself. However, I don't spend all my time worrying about it. Where my next bacon sarnie is coming from is more important.

Humans and their self important inward looking ways. You have no soul floating around after you die. That's it. Ya dead. Prepare to decompose...

Never :smt027

*EDIT Just been told he's now a pile of ashes blowing in the wind.

Tis true. I am dead. Burnt to a crisp.

And I can confirm there is an afterlife.

They have wifi tinternet access too.

Just walk to the white light and all is good.

Im surrounded by ******es with no clothes and loads of alcohol and drugs.

I am now called Saint-Im_no_sinner

Of dying? Only as much as the human brain tells me to be. If I'm confronted with a man with a gun saying he'll kill me, naturally I'll plead for my life. I still have things I want to achieve, like having a family. Other than that, I say when my time comes, my time comes and there's not a fig I can do about it.

Of getting old, then yes. Naturally as you age you pick up an increased number of ailments, and even though I'm only 28 today, I hate being ill.

My gran had her 90th birthday this week

She reckons she is less scared of dying now than she ever was.

She's had a good life, still has her marbles and enjoys everyday.

Super attitude.

My Mum is 93, and she and her twin sister are still going strong. She gets a bit forgetful, but loves being involved in conversation, and enjoys a good laugh. Her hips play her up quite badly at times, but there's no talking of dying. She isn't scared of it, rather than being apprehensive of the unknown.

Me..? I recently turned 50 and I'm a stone overweight. I could do with shedding the extra pounds, as it would allow me to feel a bit more energetic. I could start now for next summer - now there's a positive thought..! I obviously think about dying more than I used to when I was in my youth, but it doesn't fascinate me. Sure, I'm scared a bit. But that's because I want to do a few special things in my life, and be fit enough, before I get too old. If anything, I'd like to be able to determine when I've had enough, and not linger. My Dad died at 85, and so 35 more years would do me just fine.

Dying is terrifying. Being dead is a lamentable prospect, but not a scary one. The dying itself, scary, and the not having lived as one wanted, worse still.

I agree with the whole being dead against dying argument. Being dead is just like before you were born, in so much that you didn't exist and therefore fealt nothing. I assume after you die will be quite similar. The actual process of dying though is a tad scary. Hope I just drift off in my sleep not knowing i'm dying, rather than a slow deterioration in my health where that is all i would inevitably think about.

Being dead is just like before you were born, in so much that you didn't exist and therefore fealt nothing. I assume after you die will be quite similar.

Is one way of looking at it and I am by no means a spiritualist, but another way of looking at it, is that until your Mummy & Daddy had teh secks to create you, you didnt have a soul, so would not have been able to remember/experiance anything.

Question is, if there is such a thing as a soul, does it die with you when you die? Or does it live on in the form of a spirit?