Formula 1 is back - The Oz GP Thread

Lighthouse

So, the Formula 1 circus is back on the road and the curtain raiser is back to it's traditional home at the Albert Park circuit. Personally I hope we never go back to Bahrain, not only because the government murdered it's own civilians, but also because that place is boring as feck. I'm struggling to remember one interesting incident in about 5 years of racing at that place.

In Melbourne, Jenson Button faces the very unlikely task of making it a hat trick in Australia, following a rain effected race last year and Brawn GP's fairy tale debut in 2009. Ferrari and Red Bull were the unsurprising pace setters in pre-season, whilst Mclaren had issues with reliability and set-up. Team principle Martin Whitmarsh was on the BBC earlier this week claiming they hoped the MP4-26 would be up to a second quicker come kick off in Oz.

One more point of note, we have a new Brit to cheer on. Scotish driver Paul Di Resta comes with a promising CV having beaten reigning F1 champion Vettel in the 2006 formula 3 series. He also beat drivers such as Kobayashi, Nakajima, Buemi and Grosjean and is the current DTM champ.

As much as I'd love Button to lead home a British 1-2-3, I can't really see beyond a red victory, be it Bull or just paint. It would be nice to see Webber win his home race as I doubt the 34 year old will have that many more chances.

Driver line up

Red Bull

Sebastian Vettel

Mark Webber

McLaren

Lewis Hamilton

Jenson Button

Ferrari

Fernando Alonso

Felipe Massa

Mercedes

Michael Schumacher

Nico Rosberg

Lotus Renault

Nick Heidfeld

Vitaly Petrov

Williams

Rubens Barrichello

Pastor Maldonado

Force India

Adrian Sutil

Paul Di Resta

Sauber

Kamui Kobayashi

Sergio Pérez

Toro Rosso

Sebastien Buemi

Jaime Alguersuari

Lotus

Jarno Trulli

Heikki Kovalainen

Hispania

Narain Karthikeyan

Vitantonio Liuzzi

Marussia Virgin

Timo Glock

Jérôme d'Ambrosio

Second Practice

Friday, 25 March 2011 Position Country Driver Car number Team Fastest Lap

1 great britain Jenson Button 4 McLaren-Mercedes 1:25.854

2 great britain Lewis Hamilton 3 McLaren-Mercedes 1:25.986

3 spain Fernando Alonso 5 Ferrari 1:26.001

4 germany Sebastian Vettel 1 Red Bull-Renault 1:26.014

5 australia Mark Webber 2 Red Bull-Renault 1:26.283

6 germany Michael Schumacher 7 Mercedes GP 1:26.590

7 brazil Felipe Massa 6 Ferrari 1:26.789

8 mexico Sergio Perez 17 Sauber 1:27.101

9 brazil Rubens Barrichello 11 Williams-Cosworth 1:27.280

10 germany Nico Rosberg 8 Mercedes GP 1:27.448

11 spain Jaime Alguersuari 19 Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:27.525

12 russian federation Vitaly Petrov 10 Renault 1:27.528

13 germany Nick Heidfeld 9 Renault 1:27.536

14 switzerland Sebastien Buemi 18 Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:27.697

15 japan Kamui Kobayashi 16 Sauber 1:28.095

16 great britain Paul Di Resta 15 Force India-Mercedes 1:28.376

17 germany Adrian Sutil 14 Force India-Mercedes 1:28.583

18 venezuela Pastor Maldonado 12 Williams-Cosworth 1:29.386

19 finland Heikki Kovalainen 21 Lotus-Cosworth 1:30.829

20 italy Jarno Trulli 20 Lotus-Cosworth 1:30.912

21 belgium Jerome d'Ambrosio 25 Virgin-Cosworth 1:32.106

22 germany Timo Glock 24 Virgin-Cosworth 1:32.135

23 italy Vitantonio Liuzzi 23 Hispania-Cosworth

24 india Narain Karthikeyan 22 Hispania-Cosworth

Second practice results. Very interesting that McLaren have shown good pace. Their upgrades seem to have paid dividend.

And laughably, Hispania couldn't do more then 1 installation lap. Virgin should be worried, their lap times are outside of 107%.

Edited by Colinjb

who is the better driver - Button or Hamilton?

I prefer Button but will conceed that Hamilton is ultimately the 'faster' guy. I really am looking forward to seeing how the drivers make these new Pirelli tyres work, they are degrading so quickly.

Another observation, those adjustable wings really are quite dramatic. Not the small change in angle I expected but a very noticable 'gap' appears in the rear wing profile when they are active.

So we now have a method for remembering which colours are which hardness thanks to Brundle... (Or at least, Brundle is the first one I've heard say this)

Silver - Hard - Knife

White - Medium - Toast

Yellow - Soft - Butter

Red - Super Soft - Jam

And for the sake of completeness:

Blue - Intermediate Wet - Fairly obvious

Orange - Extreme Wet - The one that's left over...

It's going to be a nightmare to tell the difference between the tyres as the colours are on the side and difficult to see while the cars are running. We'll have to rely on the commentators keeping track at the start of the race and pit stops, would have preferred it to be on the running surface like the green stripes on the Bridgestones last year...

Edited by Jimmy_D

Yep. Vigins and Hispanias beware!

Neither Hispania qualified and were miles outside the 107% time. "Mobile Chicane" isn't the term. Brundle claimed "They are a complete waste of talent and fuel"

I think Karthikeyan started his final quick lap attempt at about quarter past 6 this morning and is just coming around the final corner as i type

Edited by JackFrost

They were good in the race today as well. Got a bit muddled at the start but otherwise insightful and relevant. And DC spotting that Hamiltons floor was broken was the icing on the cake, I doubt many others did.

Interesting race, like having the variable strategy stuff back, DRS has potential (and rewards good drivers as it looks a right pig to handle), and the wildly different tyre strategies remind me of when they first came in back in the '80s

They were good in the race today as well. Got a bit muddled at the start but otherwise insightful and relevant. And DC spotting that Hamiltons floor was broken was the icing on the cake, I doubt many others did.

Interesting race, like having the variable strategy stuff back, DRS has potential (and rewards good drivers as it looks a right pig to handle), and the wildly different tyre strategies remind me of when they first came in back in the '80s

Agree with that, bloody good spot by DC! There were a few moments where inexperience showed but that's only to be expected, already prefer him to Legard.

Far better Australian race than we've had in recent years, bodes well for the season I reckon, although I've got a horrible feeling the race for second spot will be a lot more exciting than the race for first... Vettel in that Red Bull looks untouchable. Depends on how much McLaren can improve the new design they've pulled out of their thin air. I still can't work out how a German driver in a British car driving for an Austrian team works so well though... it really shouldn't work but it does :D

What a race by Perez though, how he managed to be so light on the tyres... I'm sure all the teams are wondering right now. That could end up being the only single stop run of the season.

Unfortunately both Saubers just chucked out due to rear wing infringements.

Although this means that Di Resta gets a point in his first F1 start.

Nice bonus for Di Resta! How much prize money is each point this year?

Shame that amazing drive by Perez won't be recognised though.

Just watched the race on iplayer. Pretty interesting overall, although I did think there were going to be more issues with tyre wear in the final stages, like there were in 2009. Great to see Hamilton on the podium and I can't help but feel Button would have been there two were it not for that penalty. It's harsh but fair, although that race pretty much underlined my contempt for Massa. He was nowhere compared to his team mate all weekend (again). Then the incident with Button. Instead of trying to get back ahead of him, his instinctive reaction is to let his teammate through so that Button get penalised.

On a more possitive note. Great drives from Petrov and Perez. Real shame about the Saubers getting DQ'd there.