Fifa 12

St Marco

Oh my god I hate defending in this game. Its driving me ****ing mental!!

Really difficult isn't it!

The difference from pro to world class is quite a leap i think. On pro i can handle it no problem. But step up a level and they run rings around me.

Obviously it is more realistic now as before it was just a case of running alongside the guy and pressing the x button so it goes to your foot. Just got to remember to press them. If you keep your finger on x when near them it will follow them automatically and try and jockey them away from goal. Takes a bit of getting used to!

I think the main thing i am happy about is they have removed some of those horrible cut scenes like when they would pan to the stadium view when someone is subbed. That and Andy "touch it" Gray has gone. I think the two commentary combos work really well. Having the choice between either Tyldsley/Townsend and Tyler/Smith is a good touch.

Loving the new fifa - signed Beckham and Owen for saints. Beckham is scoring for fun, 90% of the time shooting outside the box with him it goes in. Had **** loads of bids for lallana.. rejected them all but got up to the January transfer window, and to be honest he's not all that, so sold him for £5million. Replaced him with Scott Brown from Celtic whose unbelievable! Decided to keep Puncheon as well, doing quality for me.

The defending is hard to get used to... my first 4 games I lost 2 and drew 2 (on proffessional). Once you get used to it though its fairly easy. Shooting is a lot better this year, you can aim for near or far post, across goal or through the keepers legs etc, rather than last year when you just shot and it only ever went the same place. Finding it impossible to score corners or crosses though - Played about 50 games (online and career) and haven't scored a header yet.

Just read that Fifa 12 had the third biggest UK opening in history (sales wise) as just beat GTA4 figures. That is pretty amazing considering i don't think there were any great opening day deals like last year.

The only 2 to beat it are MW2 and Black ops. Would expect MW3 to beat it when that comes out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-03-fifa-12-third-biggest-uk-launch-ever

Hmm.. played this at lunch after itching to play it since friday.. Not sure the charges warrant forking out another 40 quid - Major update for a tenner maybe. I see they havent bothered putting any more effort in getting saints players to look anything like they do, despite being a league higher and therefore a more significant team than last season. Not sure about the photos that they have used for all the players in squad profiles either; Most have the wrong shirt on and are quite possibly the least flattering photos going (more so than the ones on the OS!) so looks a bit rushed.

That said, it definitely feels more realistic and once I've dropped my bad habit of holding O all the time to get the ball (useless now unless close to player) then I'm sure Ill get on with it. A few times pressing O close to the player resulted in me booting the ball away once I managed to steal it. presumably because I hit it twice or because I'm using classic button layout?

All in all I don't think its worth another 40 but you just have to each year, don't you...

Not sim'ing a match as such but after completing a match in career mode you seem to have to sit there and wait for the calendar to progress to the next footy day before you can choose next match? Does triangle skip straight to next match in this case too? It does say O stops simulation but you still have to resume from same day when you start it again..

Edited by Liquidshokk

Every sports game does that. It is processing the results/news which is very hardware dependent. Maybe one day in the future when consoles are faster they might not need to do it. Annoying yes but no different from every other game really.

Every sports game does that. It is processing the results/news which is very hardware dependent. Maybe one day in the future when consoles are faster they might not need to do it. Annoying yes but no different from every other game really.

Hmm i'm sure it went really quickly in fifa 11. This one goes really slow...

They never did it in FIFA 10 and yes I also find it very annoying.

They never did it in FIFA 10 and yes I also find it very annoying.

I'd rather go without all the stats n stuff (which I don't really look at and surely cant take that much to process anyway)

It's almost as if they just want to simulate waiting for the next game, as fifa 10/11 showed it doesnt have to take so long, or even happen at all.

Anyone else been getting their PC crashing due to the 3D modelling in Creation Centre online ? Happens on both my laptop and my father-in-law's PC running the Unity player. I've seen some stuff about there being a problem with multiple windows, and some stuff about anti-virus causing it, but none of it solves the problem I'm having. So basically I can't use the kit editor online, can't use the head modelling, rrrrrrrrrrrubbish.

Yea I had trouble finding a decent pic to use with this seasons kit when I made that last night.

Fair enough, other than that it looks great. I like the subtle inside St Mary's pic on the back.

How nice is "Modern English Stadium" as well ? If only they could move the scoreboard !

Has anyone mastered the tackling in FIFA 12 yet with the new system? Im struggling like mad with it. I've stopped the pressing too earlier of tackle so I look like a spaz just I still can't consistently nick the ball off a player.

Any tips please?

Nope. I'm trading it on friday for RAGE. FIFA can suck my nadge, they've ruined it.

It's a brilliant improvement. From the way the players move, to collisions and scrambles, to how you have to properly track and time tackles instead of just constantly holding down two buttons to press and tackle like I used to do on FIFA 11.

The online Head To Head seasons and mini seasons against friends is a simple yet brilliant idea too, as is playing for your club - Saints aren't doing too bad at the moment, come on people!

Has anyone mastered the tackling in FIFA 12 yet with the new system? Im struggling like mad with it. I've stopped the pressing too earlier of tackle so I look like a spaz just I still can't consistently nick the ball off a player.

Any tips please?

It is difficult to get to grips with to begin with. We are so used to the un-realistic way of defending from before where a guy has the ball, we choose a player and run after the guy, press the old foot grab button and zoom off with the ball. That is how it used to be. Some might prefer that but it isn't realistic. If you watch football tackling is a timing thing. Most teams let them have the ball and don't chase them down until they are getting towards their penalty area. They move around in formation trying to contain the attacker, trying to cut down his angles. When that is done correctly he cannot shoot, he cannot run at the defence, he has no option but to pass. This is the way you need to think about it with Fifa now. Have to wait for the right momments to try and make that tackle.

Here is a good video where some German explains it in a far better way then i could. It should help with getting some tips from it.

As i said have to remember it is now about being a team rather then just one guy. If one guy is out of position the AI will exploit it just as how it is in real life. Some people can't get to grips with it and blame it on the game when really it is their own faults making it harder for themselves. In previous Fifa games and PES games the game was more about attacking. Defending was a side thing that not much thought went into. You didn't have to pay it much attention. You just grabbed the ball off them and went up the pitch. Personally i think it is a big improvement and one that was needed. Football isn't just about attacking, it is about defending too.

There's no quick way you can skip to the next game, although you can go on the calender and highlight the day you want to skip to... Not sure how much quicker it would be but I assume it wouldn't stop every day.

Regarding the tackling, not really any tips for it to be honest. Just takes a bit of getting used to (you can change the defending to the FIFA 11 style in game settings, change it to Legacy defending). If you just jockey holding X you can hold them for long enough to then press O (providing you time it right) or they end up misplacing a pass or knocking it out of play. Try not to continually press O as it won't work. Also, if they've got it round their defence, I hold sprint and B (O on PS3) and RB (R1 on PS3 I think..) which makes both strikers chase the ball down. Other than that just practice to be honest.

I like the way they've chanign it online, so you dont have always have to be the barca's or chelsea's to win a game. I'm using sunderland a lot online (fast strikers), as it pairs me up with another 4 and half star team which makes it a lot more even.

There's no quick way you can skip to the next game, although you can go on the calender and highlight the day you want to skip to... Not sure how much quicker it would be but I assume it wouldn't stop every day.

Regarding the tackling, not really any tips for it to be honest. Just takes a bit of getting used to (you can change the defending to the FIFA 11 style in game settings, change it to Legacy defending). If you just jockey holding X you can hold them for long enough to then press O (providing you time it right) or they end up misplacing a pass or knocking it out of play. Try not to continually press O as it won't work. Also, if they've got it round their defence, I hold sprint and B (O on PS3) and RB (R1 on PS3 I think..) which makes both strikers chase the ball down. Other than that just practice to be honest.

I like the way they've chanign it online, so you dont have always have to be the barca's or chelsea's to win a game. I'm using sunderland a lot online (fast strikers), as it pairs me up with another 4 and half star team which makes it a lot more even.

Thanks for the calendar tip!

Re the online play, I agree about the pairing of partners. Shame you cant go straight into another game though in the same way the rematch feature does in custom games

Anyone else experiencing probs with online connection?! First chance I get to play online and it's ****ing up. Aaagh

Also where do you see how teams are doing in the seasons thing? Can see me and my friends but not say how Southampton fans are doing on the whole?!

Also (this years online setup is all very confusing) the FIFA WC says it's not setup but gives you no option to set it up? Wtf?

Hi Gents

What formation are you guys playing with mighty Saints? I've explored a few but can't seem to nail a good one. Playing H2H Season and seemed to do okay until some c*** decides to use the goalkeeping glitch.

Also how can you insert your custom tactics in online on the ps3? Everytime I press the d-pad it just related to the actual player and says "defence, balance, attack" etc

Cheers

Hi Gents

What formation are you guys playing with mighty Saints? I've explored a few but can't seem to nail a good one. Playing H2H Season and seemed to do okay until some c*** decides to use the goalkeeping glitch.

Also how can you insert your custom tactics in online on the ps3? Everytime I press the d-pad it just related to the actual player and says "defence, balance, attack" etc

Cheers

I always play 4-1-2-1-2 in fifa 11 on the advice of the best person at FIFA that I know of, griffo.

Hasn't helped me in FIFA 12 with the new defending though (nothing will)..

I use 3-4-1-2, on World Class Career mode. I find it easy enough to defend with just the 3, and a lot easier to move the ball around up top with the extra man. Started using Forte as connolly got injured for me, he's actually really good. Fats and has a good touch, scored 6 in 3 so far. I'd recommend him if your drawing around 60 / 70 mins.

Goalkeeping glitch? Enlighten me

This is where your opponent will press 'select' during an online game and subsequently the computer will control all of his players. The computer is set to world class and your opponent is just controlling the goalkeeper. You are basically playing the computer in an online game. Apparently with the new patch coming out they will remove this feature.

I've tried a few different formations since. I recommend tinkering with the team. Check this site out, got some great tips!

http://www.fifaencyclopedia.com/

I think 4-1-2-1-2 works best for me too- amending their positions. For example the 2 in front of the defensive midfielder will be ahead of one another (creating a triangle between the DM and 2 midfielders)

I have also noticed the arrows help too. I put FOX (LD) on High defence/ High attack and move his arrow pointing upwards. I notice he makes some great runs.

Worth a try.

Thought id have a quiet night in tonight playing FIFA but its properly stressing me out. I'm so much worse at it than with 11. Just tried using manual controls instead of auto and I was shocking.

Plus some matey just kept constantly spinning their player when I ran at them so couldn't catch em...

Massive step back and in a way going off the game after years and years of playing...

Where's griffo to give me advice when I need him..

Thought id have a quiet night in tonight playing FIFA but its properly stressing me out. I'm so much worse at it than with 11. Just tried using manual controls instead of auto and I was shocking.

Plus some matey just kept constantly spinning their player when I ran at them so couldn't catch em...

Massive step back and in a way going off the game after years and years of playing...

Where's griffo to give me advice when I need him..

I'm here. Finding FIFA 12 quite hard myself to be honest. Attacking wise I'm fine, struggling with the defending on career mode though. Haven't played online at all yet due to a sh*t internet connection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

got this the other day - rarely lost online and never offline - this version is ******* impossible to defend with. You either dive in and miss the tackles or you stand off and jockey and give all the possesion to the AI. Online people just seem to use skill moves all the time with quick players and fookin impossible to tackle or block.

What have they done to it!

got this the other day - rarely lost online and never offline - this version is ******* impossible to defend with. You either dive in and miss the tackles or you stand off and jockey and give all the possesion to the AI. Online people just seem to use skill moves all the time with quick players and fookin impossible to tackle or block.

What have they done to it!

You can change the defending back to the original in the settings. Personally I prefer this defending now anyway. It's fine once you get used to it.

rarely lost online and never offline - this version is ******* impossible to defend with.

Have to say that is pretty amazing that you never lose online without knowing how to use the new defence system :)

You can actually make real money from playing fifa 12 now in game. Maybe you should look into doing that as I am sure your make a fortune!