New Phone - haven't a scooby

Crab Lungs

The HTC Desire battery life is appalling; definitely worse than the iPhone. My browser frequently freezes when loading links from Tweetdeck.

Have you done the gingerbread update? some users report much increased battery life, although i didnt see much difference.

If not carry a spare battery, you cant do that with your iphone.

Have you done the gingerbread update? some users report much increased battery life, although i didnt see much difference.

If not carry a spare battery, you cant do that with your iphone.

Gingerbread has increased the battery on my Sony x10i quite a bit, so would recommend the update.

Why would the iPhone need removable storage when it already has 32 or 64gb of storage? I'd say you only need removable storage when your phone only comes bundled with a piddly amount of onboard memory.

Which reminds me of another rubbish thing about the HTC Desire; only certain apps can be installed on the SD card, whereas lots have to be installed on the onboard memory which fills up in no time. It's no good trying to build up a successful app store if users can only install ten or so at a time.

Re battery life ... i've tried everything. Calibrating the battery, flashing the phoneme and trying different rome / android versions. No noticeable difference and the 2nd identical phone I've got is exactly the same. Battery life is definitely less than that of the iPhone 4.

Ten apps at a time? i have 12 apps on my phone, with room for more and 22 apps on the sd card with room for HUNDREDS more (how many do you need?) !! most developers these days recognise the need for apps to be movable and Android market boasts apps which allow you to force move apps to the sd card now anyway!

Carrying a second (cheap) battery is no problem to me, and if the iphone 4 battery develops a fault trust me its a big problem!

If my phone frreezes i can remove my battery to restart the phone (dont give me that baloney the iphone never freezes!) i have friends with iphones!

Anyway the Desire is now at the lower end of Android, what about the Desire S and the Galaxy s2 or the HTC Sensation? as these phones are the ones that greatly surpass the spec of the iphone.

Apple fanboys really get my goat somtimes.

What a plonker you are Jeff!

Here I am with an HTC Desire trying to offer some balance to the evangelical, pro-HTC & anti-Apple ramblings you care to share us with, and you claim I'm an Apple fanboy. I have the HTC flipping Desire, it's just that I'm happy to declare it's faults and accept that it has plenty!

You want another HTC Desire problem when compared to the iPhone? Warranty / customer support. Token 12 months from HTC with no easy retail store returns, versus an optional 3 year upgraded warranty from Apple.

I just upgraded. Was wanting to get an iphone4 (have 3 at mo) But vodafone wanted £299 for it unless i would go on a £40+ per month tariff. So took a non phone upgrade and now for £17.50 per month got 600mins, unlimited texts and 1gb of internet. Not a bad deal right?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, can I conclude that if you are going to but an HTC android then the 'Desire' is the pick of the bunch?

I just need a phone that allows me to use apps, is reliable, unlocked etc.

My phone at the moment doesn't even have wap or picture messaging, so I am looking to get back into the modern world.

[h=1]HTC WILDFIRE S - BLACK - UNLOCKED - ROOTED - 2.3 SENSE[/h][h=2]2.3 W/Sense - S-Off - Fully Rooted[/h]

£199

Is this a good price? I don't understand the technical stuff:

Fully rooted?

No. Not a great phone either.

If you want a budget android, get an orange san Francisco. Similar spec to wildfire but better screen and half the price.

Rooted means hacked basically, allowing updates of roms (os) and other stuff.

Have a look at modaco.com for advice, tips, buying guides.