New Phone - haven't a scooby

Crab Lungs

Well, it's about time I got a new phone, but I haven't a scooby on what I should get. I know I want a smart phone, I know I want a lot of texts and a few minutes call-time and I definitely want a good data package for internet browsing.

That's about all I know though, however.

Can anyone recommend me a phone, a tariff and, equally importantly, a network? I'm absolutely stumped.

I've been browsing for hours so to get some opinions would certainly help. :D Thanks in advance.

I was looking at Android, are you recommending? I've been recommended the "Wildfire", but I really don't know the difference between them all. Gah, bring back the 3260 and bring back Snake!

i have the iphone 4 but cant see me staying with it when my contract runs out...

my mate has some samsung phone and it is just as good as the iphone..has pretty much the same apps etc and costs him £25pm

where I pay £45pm

Is the iPhone, in hindsight, more of a fashion accessory to some people would you say? I have to admit I've enjoyed using my friends iPhone and haven't had the chance to try out an HTC so I can't compare, but it's a split recommendation I've had between the two from friends. I've no idea about the Samsung or new Nokia though, so thanks for the heads up...

I've got an iPhone 4 and a Blackberry. Missus has a HTC 'Droid. Build quality on Blackberry's is crap. My boss has gone through EIGHT of them in the last two years. A lot of other people I know have had similar issues, although not the same extent.

The thing that makes the iPhone are the apps, really. It's probably the best device I've ever owned.

Lack of Flash is not as much of a pain as you'd think, but it's still an issue. If you want to watch movies and stuff, you have to jump through a few hoops.

My contract runs out in a year. Hopefully, the new iPhone will be out by then.

Go for an iphone 3gs if you want to save a few quid.

Get an unbranded / unlocked one, and get a tariff with giff gaff - excellent tarifs for texts and innernetz with a fair few minutes thrown in too :)

£15 a month for 400 mins, unlimited texts and innernet browsing :)

https://giffgaff.com/orders/unlimited-web?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ps-brand&utm_term=giff-gaff

btw the latest android phones wipe the floor with the iphone 4!

Agreed. I've owned I phones and android. I would never go back to an I phone, which are very cool but not as good. Android contracts are also cheaper too.

Samsung Galaxy s2 is excellent, as is the latest htc desire. The wildfire isn't great, poor screen and processor.

One option is the zte blade, which is sold as orange San Francisco. It's a payg phone but can be unlocked for nothing, and easily debranded and upgraded. See modaco.com where you will get loads of info on that and any other phone.

Not sure about contracts, just shop around. I'm on t mobile paying 25 pm for what Jeff pays 10 for on giff gaff. Poor coverage imo.

Giff gaff is brilliant, my wife and daughter are on it. brilliant coverage and dirt cheap. If you can get a good phone sim free it's the cheapest way to run a phone.

Personally I would go for the San Fran and whack in a giff gaff sim. No commitment so if you don't like it you can ebay it for not much less than you paid for it and get something else.

Agreed. I've owned I phones and android. I would never go back to an I phone, which are very cool but not as good. Android contracts are also cheaper too.

Samsung Galaxy s2 is excellent, as is the latest htc desire. The wildfire isn't great, poor screen and processor.

One option is the zte blade, which is sold as orange San Francisco. It's a payg phone but can be unlocked for nothing, and easily debranded and upgraded. See modaco.com where you will get loads of info on that and any other phone.

Not sure about contracts, just shop around. I'm on t mobile paying 25 pm for what Jeff pays 10 for on giff gaff. Poor coverage imo.

Giff gaff is brilliant, my wife and daughter are on it. brilliant coverage and dirt cheap. If you can get a good phone sim free it's the cheapest way to run a phone.

Personally I would go for the San Fran and whack in a giff gaff sim. No commitment so if you don't like it you can ebay it for not much less than you paid for it and get something else.

You can actually get quite a bit more than you paid for your San Fran if rooted and updated to 2.3.4 (done it a few times!)

Only problem with the San Fran is the build quality isnt great (hence the Desire) but yes you're right its an excellent introduction to Android (and Tesco are doing them for £55 worth of clubcard vouchers!).

You can actually get quite a bit more than you paid for your San Fran if rooted and updated to 2.3.4 (done it a few times!)

Only problem with the San Fran is the build quality isnt great (hence the Desire) but yes you're right its an excellent introduction to Android (and Tesco are doing them for £55 worth of clubcard vouchers!).

Don't want to go off subject, but which 2.3.4 ROM do you use?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Hi I was using Cyanogen mod 7 but that was a few months ago, apparently last time i looked there was an actual ZTE rom everybody was raving about! My Desire is not rooted as there is an official 2.3.3 HTC rom.

Have you just made that all up?

No not at all, why? if you are trying to say its all a bit complicated it really isnt as im a complete technophobe and i didnt have much trouble, i think it looks more complicated than it actually is.

Anyway i drive a taxi, dont you drive a submarine or something! surely thats more complicated than rooting a phone?

(-;

I have the old HTC Desire and its excellent! I have flash, good apps and 10 pounds a month gets me 250 mins, unlimited texts, TRULY unlimited data and free same network calls with Giffgaff! cant go wrong!

Make sure you update it to Gingerbread, it does wonders for battery life.

i have the iphone 4 but cant see me staying with it when my contract runs out...

my mate has some samsung phone and it is just as good as the iphone..has pretty much the same apps etc and costs him £25pm

where I pay £45pm

That doesn't make sense. You can get a monthly (no contract) SIM with GiffGaff and spend £10 a month for 250mins, Unlimited text and Unlimited Data. Or add whatever minutes suits you. No Contract and UNLIMITED Data. You only pay £45 a month because you're paying for the handset! I buy my iPhones SIM-Free so I have the option to use whatever is the cheapest/best deal that suits me. I am staying with O2 at the moment - 600Mins, 1200 texts and Unlimited Data (I use 3GB+ per month) for £20: but the unlimited Data isn't available to new contracts. I also get £5/mth off of my O2 Broadband and O2 Moments savings, so I just can't be bothered to switch to GiffGaff, but would if I was a new / non-O2 Broadband customer.

As this thread is proving, people who own them love their iPhones and people who have used them love them. It's the people that can't quite afford them that will try to convince you that an HTC or a.n.other Android handset is 'just as good'.

Crablungs: iPhone, bought outright, GiffGaff SIM, plop another SIM in whenever you're travelling. That's your best option.

As this thread is proving, people who own them love their iPhones and people who have used them love them. It's the people that can't quite afford them that will try to convince you that an HTC or a.n.other Android handset is 'just as good'.

Crablungs: iPhone, bought outright, GiffGaff SIM, plop another SIM in whenever you're travelling. That's your best option.

I've owned I phone and android and prefer android. Personal choice, not a cost issue. For me I phone is more style over substance.

I agree 100% about sim free. Sensible choice is a phone of choice and whack in a giff gaff sim.

I hate to say it, but I think Essru is right. If you can afford it, a sim-free iPhone with a decent sim is the 'best' way to go.

I've got an HTC desire with a really cheap T-Mobile contract, but the Android experience isn't quite as seamless and smooth as I'd like. In particular, I think it's particularly poor at handling streaming video, although I appreciate that this could be down to the network.

Claims that the iPhone is 'no better' just aren't true. The iPhone is better in that it offers a more seamless experience, although the price premium remains hefty and in many cases unjustified (hence the sim free route of buying one).

One thing i think we are all agreed on is sim-free and GiffGaff is the way to go.

Back to the handsets, i would say my standard HTC Desire is on a par with the iphone 4 and the newer androids such as Desire S, HTC Sensation and particularly Mr Grants Galaxy S2 blow the Iphone out of the water completely!

Jeff:

1) The handsets you mention really DON'T blow the iPhone 4 out of the water. You can look at components, supposed performance and claims of what they 'can' do all you like, but when it comes down to the actual hands-on experience, apps and the overall package - think again. (and that's all before the imminent iPhone 5 release!)

2) Are you actually aware of the iPhone 4 battery performance?!!

Jeff:

1) The handsets you mention really DON'T blow the iPhone 4 out of the water. You can look at components, supposed performance and claims of what they 'can' do all you like, but when it comes down to the actual hands-on experience, apps and the overall package - think again. (and that's all before the imminent iPhone 5 release!)

2) Are you actually aware of the iPhone 4 battery performance?!!

1) Dual core processors with flash and much more memory DO blow the Iphone 4 out of the water, also looks and price wise! Android apps are mostly identical/similar/better/cheaper and in much more cases free! and overall package includes price you know!

2) I am actually aware of the fact you cant change the battery on an Iphone 4 as its fixed.

1) Dual core processors with flash and much more memory DO blow the Iphone 4 out of the water, also looks and price wise! Android apps are mostly identical/similar/better/cheaper and in much more cases free! and overall package includes price you know!

2) I am actually aware of the fact you cant change the battery on an Iphone 4 as its fixed.

Agree Jeff I want a real phone so would not buy iPhone and rather get the the touch if I wanted one.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Get a Samsung galaxy s2. I've got a Nokia N8 and love it (best camera phone on the market), but the S2's screen is just mind blowing, and its rocket fast! I'd get one if I wasn't such a nokia symbian fanboy

Used Symbian 'Belle' yet?

Very different experience - good though.

More people I know own iPhones than anything else, despite that, I hear more complaints about Android than anything else. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard one person complain about the iOS, because of course, it's very hard to complain about something that is that good.

Sure you can complain, therefore, about the build quality... but have you felt how sturdy an iPhone 4 is? I really can't fault my iPhone 4, I would say its the best piece of technology I've ever owned, and I've owned a LOT of stuff!

iPhone beats everything hands down and totally for the reasons Baj has given. I support all sorts of phones everyday in my job and the problems we have with Blackberries and Android handsets easily outnumber the problems we have with iOS. I would say 80-90% of the time is spent fixing Blackberry and Andriod issues.

The build quality of the iPhone and the amount of apps also easily beat anything on the market. Mostly people who dont go for the iPhone have a problem with the Apple brand or would prefer a something slightly cheaper (which im not saying is a bad thing before i get abused!)

I have friends who have andriod phones and a number of them have crashed whilst trying to open apps or an app is not avaliable and i can honestly say i have not had a problem with my iPhone since owning it.

I took ages to decide last year what phone to go for and eventually paid the extra for the iPhone and i can also say its the best piece of techology i have ever owned.

Go for the iPhone, you really wont regret it.

The freedom to do what you want with Symbian is what makes it what it is, in those terms it makes iOS look like a concentration camp. Noooo thank you.

iOS is more like an open prison where you can get out on a JB licence; Symbian is like being on Death Row now that Nokia has passed the death sentence.

For what it's worth my housemate has just got herself a HTC Sensation. It's a very impressive bit of kit!!! It is a far better device for browsing the web then my iPhone 4.... I'm actually a little jealous of it.

i expect thats the majority view but let the fashion victims waste their money on overpriced iphones ,poor contracts,and have more money than sense to waste.anyone remember the first iphone which did not have the features of most basic phones and i hope the new iphone 5 will do flash ,

i expect thats the majority view but let the fashion victims waste their money on overpriced iphones ,poor contracts,and have more money than sense to waste.anyone remember the first iphone which did not have the features of most basic phones and i hope the new iphone 5 will do flash ,

Ah, but now I have an iPhone i'm stuck..... What am I to do with all the songs i've bought on iTunes that will only work on Apple devices... Or with the daft mini sim card that will only fit inside the latest iPhone 4?

Ah, but now I have an iPhone i'm stuck..... What am I to do with all the songs i've bought on iTunes that will only work on Apple devices... Or with the daft mini sim card that will only fit inside the latest iPhone 4?
yes that is a problem but their must be away to transfer them maybe you would have been better getting a ipod or ipod touch originally .

yes that is a problem but their must be away to transfer them maybe you would have been better getting a ipod or ipod touch originally .

There is. Various apps. My itunes recognises my Android and allows transfers.

Another great feature I love about Android is the notification system. With an iPhone, the cute bubble appears on your screen, but you have to act on each notification – individually – to access the device. Android’s slide down notification might seem inconvenient, but I can clearly see each notification individually and clear them all at one time with a simple click.

Other great features like Google Maps Navigation, free turn-by-turn GPS directions and Google Voice are only available on Android phones. Sure you can buy nifty GPS apps for your iPhone, but Google’s apps are standard with any Android device. And free. Seamlessly syncing my contacts, calendar and Gmail are better on Android than iPhone too.

But the one feature that seals the deal for me on Android was a recent trip to Las Vegas. My hotel only had a wired Internet connection in the room, conveniently hidden behind the television that I never saw. I had work to do and didn’t feel like walking the Strip to find a wireless connection. Tethering my Android phone was simple, easy to set up and didn’t cost me extra on my data plan. The ability to turn my phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot in a pinch makes this a one system race for me. Sure, I know I can technically do that with an iPhone, but if I’m on AT&T I have to pay even more money monthly to have that ability. Verizon just announced their iPhone will allow it to be a hotspot for up to five devices, but details on cost have yet to come out.

Let’s face it though. I prefer my Android phone. You may prefer iPhone. Either one you choose, the cell phone companies are just happy we’re talking about it.

As you can probably tell the above has been cut from an article i found, just couldnt find the words myself, its like the android system is tinkerable (made up word) and i can set up my phone as I like it! not as some faceless corporation wants me to set it up!