FM12 Demo Out Now

Matthew Le God

Good defensive display, I hope you're in the market for a striker though!

You asked and you received:

Acy_qUfCQAEr2gO.jpg:large

Beat Falkirk of two divisions higher 3 - 1 on their own patch, top by about seven points at the moment. Was worried after the three defeats though, thankfully I've got the hang of the new team talks system now.

Currently playing as Crawley, its tough but they are headed in the right direction. Hoping to reach the playoffs at least by the end of the season, have been flirting with them up to crimbo, is auto out of the question ?? I don't know as it is very tight up there with no one in any particular form.

Signed A Martin on loan, he is quality at this level and managed to spunk all of my hard earned cash on Harewood for 100k and 3.5k a week, he is brilliant at this level.

That's enough for me. I'm now going to sit here and play until I have to move my arse for the great south run.

Should I manage Saints or not? Hmmmm. I like to start off in England anyway.

I have started with saints and did well.....got promoted in season 1 via the playoffs then just survived in the prem.

also, why do you always get to a point where you just stop scoring goals..?

Edited by Thedelldays

My first season finished as Eastleigh!

Picked up a few random freebies which my scouts said were 5*, never worry too much in the very low leagues about specific stats as you can usually pick up youth players for nothing that'll do a job now and have the potential to work in league two or even league one sometimes.

I'd set my tactics up similar to how I had Eastleigh in my previous game for FM2011, 4-2-4, two attacking wingers style, controlling and short passing, which served me well for the preseason (gotta be happy with the draw with Saints) and the first four games of the season, but then I went into a bit of a nosedive. My teamtalks, which had been working well when everyone was happy, were failing, the fans were alienated by the loss to rivals Salisbury, and despite a mini revival in the middle of the dip, with a run of two wins and a draw, an awful team meeting managed to alienate almost the entire team and form fell again, including a morale sapping defeat to rivals Havant and Waterlooville.

Four losses later, and three wins in twelve wasn't going to be good enough. We'd dropped out of the board's minimum expectation of top half, and whispers were starting to go around wondering whether I'd be in the job much longer. A switch of tactics, adopting the longer ball that would be more effective in this league, as well as stepping back a bit so as to not leave the defense so exposed and the players not so tired towards the end of the match, combined with a team meeting which went MUCH better, and a team talk that Henry V would have been proud of, finally brought some much needed relief in the form of a 4-1 win over Farnborough.

An unbeaten run then followed which would see Eastleigh climb steadily up the league, back into the top half, and towards the playoff spots, interrupted only by a weakened team crashing out of the FA Trophy.

An unexpected loss to Tonbridge had the fans wondering if all the players' efforts would be in vain, as fears of a repeat of the previous bad run were revived, but it was only a blip before another unbeaten run that would propel Eastleigh towards the top of the table, marred only by a very poor performance against Salisbury in which we were lucky to get nil, and miraculously also kept them to nil as well.

A run of one win in four games seemed to have put paid to hopes of the title, but a win at home against table-topping Boreham Wood, followed by beating Havant in their own back yard saw Eastleigh sitting proudly atop the pile. Two further wins weren't enough to shake the chasing pack, and a run of five games without a win saw us drop down to third and out of the title fight, while Boreham Wood and Salisbury fought over top spot.

Going into the last game of the season I knew a win was vital if we were to have any chance in the playoffs we'd already secured a place in, and a surprisingly comfortable win followed. I impatiently waited for news of other results to come through, and as I heard that Boreham Wood had lost to Havant my heart sank. It looked like Salisbury would win the league. Salisbury! They were facing Weston Super Mare at home, who, while not mathematically safe, were virtually safe by goal difference.

The result came through, Salisbury - 1, Weston Super Mare - 1! I later found out that Salisbury had a man sent off, their player manager, in what would be his last game before he became a full time manager!

Mixed emotions followed, as I reflected on that late run of games without a win, we'd missed out on the title by two points.

I couldn't let that get through to the players though, as I tried to keep their minds focused forward.

The playoff semi final would be against Chelmsford, which pleased me as we had an unbeaten record against them. The first leg away from home went very smoothly indeed, none of the players seemed to be feeling any pressure at all as we comfortably won 2-0.

The second leg seemed to be going the same way, as we scored twice, including a controversial penalty (is there ever any other kind?) very deep into injury time of the first half which would later prove vital. The second half the players seemed to freeze up completely. With fifteen minutes to go they scored their first, with six minutes to go an own goal by the keeper gave them their second, and with three minutes remaining another goal gave every Eastliegh fan a mini heart attack. Every player was behind the ball for the next three minutes, before the board went up and told the players they'd have to hold out for another three. No one more relieved than me as the final whistle went, with the possible exception of our goalkeeper after conceding the own goal.

A grin spread across my face as I heard the result from the other match. It'd be against Salisbury.

The nerves would follow later, as I realised we hadn't beaten them during the season, but I couldn't let the players see that.

I tried to get them fired up with the team talk, but a nervy first half played out, until finally on the half hour mark, exciting youth prospect Andy White burst into space an curled a long range effort past the keeper to send the fans wild. We held on until half time. Unsure of how to handle the team talk, I tried to guard them against complacency, but it failed as just four minutes in, an equaliser came. To their credit, the player's heads didn't drop, and an end to end contest followed. With fifteen minutes to go, I brought on two subs as the players were starting to look out on their feet. With just two minutes remaining, and just as I was thinking of extra time and even the dreaded penalty shootout, Salisbury earned a free kick in a dangerous position and I tried not to let the concern show on my face as I wondered if an entire season would be wasted in an instant, but I needn't have worried as the keeper got underneath it and safely caught it. All the players spurred themselves to one last effort and pushed themselves forward. Some neat passing up the left wing worked the winger onto the byline, and from his cross he earned a corner. As it was swung in, veteran defender Tom Jordan fought his way through two defenders to get on the end of it and power a header into the bottom corner to send the fans into dreamland. I immediately told every player to stay behind the ball, and made my last sub to waste some time, but it was scarcely needed as the final whistle went and we'd done it!

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/648743808096103563/EEE0853565D7AF129C498E3C8DF27EFEBDA9BA35/

No-one remembers much of the celebrations that followed, especially the chairman, who swears he doesn't remember signing off the plans for a new 5k capacity stadium, especially considering the average attendance of 574 we had

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/648743808096102857/F974B3D96DD478889108782D53D91F14C9BF0A31/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/648743808093129652/0ED023DA807B8766E25E4E2E63BB3442BEABF0F1/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/648743808093128245/C1E9DB6341887748F002DDFB48DA1D666E9047B5/

Played using 'hardcore' rules. ie. NO reloading if I don't like a result as well as not using downloaded tactics, or the annual 'corner' trick.

what is the corner trick..?

In the older football manager games with the 3D match engine, there were always certain ways you could set up corners to be taken so that you'd score far more often than is realistic (2010 was notorious, I was getting 2 or 3 goals a game from corners, and once got six). I'm pretty sure they've toned it down since, and I'm not sure if anyone's found a 'broken' tactic for FM2012 yet, but you'd have to look yourself since I'm trying to avoid net tactics for this year.

In the older football manager games with the 3D match engine, there were always certain ways you could set up corners to be taken so that you'd score far more often than is realistic (2010 was notorious, I was getting 2 or 3 goals a game from corners, and once got six). I'm pretty sure they've toned it down since, and I'm not sure if anyone's found a 'broken' tactic for FM2012 yet, but you'd have to look yourself since I'm trying to avoid net tactics for this year.

ah yes...remember you used to get all your players bar one to stand literally on the line..have one player (good with long shots) on the edge of the area and out swing a corner to him and he would usually score.

Well I just won the Scottish third division with Berwick Rangers. Wonder what I'll do next...!

The world is your oyster ;)

Actually, the Scottish leagues are good for building up your reputation as a manger - see if you can break the Old Firm grip on the league and you can get almost any job in Europe.

Coming up to January now in my Saints game, sitting pretty in 2nd place in the league just behind Reading (one of only 2 teams to have beaten us so far). Highlights of the season so far being a 4-0 win against Brighton and a 2-0 win against P*mpey (both at home breaking attendance records). Made a few signings on the recommendations on this thread, including Darwin Quintero who has been an absolute beast. If only he finished half of the chances he was presented, he'd be on 100+ a season! My current team is:

----------------LOACH---------------

KELLY-----FONTE-----BAMBA-----FOX

---------MCCANN-----CORK----------

DE RIDDER-------------------LALLANA

--------LAMBERT-----QUINTERO------

Subs: Davis, Hooiveld, Livermore, Oar, Helguson

SIGNINGS

Darwin Quintero (ST) £3.3m - Great so far, very pacy and turns defenders inside out.

Scott Loach (GK) £2.5m - Very solid, although he's not saved a penalty for me yet...

Stephen Kelly (RB) £1.7m - Dependable, experienced and good down the flanks.

Chris McCann (CM) £3.2m - Handy in defence and attack, great box-to-box midfielder.

Tommy Oar (LM) £1.5m - Young winger, scouts say he'll be a good Prem winger in the future.

Sol Bamba (CB) £1.5m - Good foil for Fonte in defence, good in the air and on the ground. Cheap too.

Heidar Helguson (ST) Loan - Brought him in as back-up for Lambert, my first-choice cup striker. Great target man.

Shane Duffy (CB) Loan - Brought in as 4th choice centre-back, not played too much but always played well when he has.

Jake Livermore (CM) Loan - Jack Cork was out injured for 6 weeks so brought him in, very good. Might get him permanently.

Oliver Korch (GK) Free - 16 year-old Danish goalie, one for the future apparently. Got rid of Forecast so he's 4th choice behind Loach, Kelvin and Bart.

Miles Addison (CB) £725k - Hooiveld loan expires in January and Addison is coming in to replace him. Good young English defender, not many of them about for that price.

I'll update y'all when I win the league!