Simoncelli MotoGP crash at Sepang

JackFrost

Marco Simoncelli came off on the first lap and was hit by Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi. Simoncelli's helmet flew off during the crash.

After initial reports of Simoncelli being concious they've just cancelled the race as Simoncelli is in a "critical condition".

Hope he pulls through.

Whilst I was watching the program I'd got distracted by something and initially only heard the commentators reaction to which I naturally looked at my TV. All I saw was 3 bikes crashing and a helmet bouncing along the track. You tell immediately it was a horrendous crash. This may sound stupid but in the heat of the moment when the accident took place I wasn't sure straight away if it was just a helmet bouncing along or it was a severed head inside a helmet.

I don't know if the BBC had any control over the pictures or whether they were showing what Malaysian TV were showing but I thought them cutting to a shot of what I'm guessing was Simoncelli's girlfriend crying her eyes out straight after the accident was out of order.

They actually did show one slo-mo of the accident about 20 mins after the race was stopped

Edited by JackFrost

Have seen the crash slow-mo on you tube.

Have seen the crash from last week where the Indy driver dies, but for me this is much more gut wrenching.

Don't know if it is because you can actually see the guy or what, but this was much harder to watch IMO.

Sad sad week in Motorsport.

Thoughts go out to Simmo's family ?

Truly shocking crash and a huge loss. A future champion and big character.

Riders are really well protected these days so I find it amazing that his helmet came off. It makes you suspect that it was'nt done up properly.

I think that's the result of the massive impact rather than it not being done up properly. Apparently he did wear a helmet one size bigger to allow for his hair...so I read on on eof the reports yesterday (Skysports or BBC)

a few people i've spoken to think that he may have a heart attack or anurism or something to that effect before he got hit. Apparently he wasnt acting right before moving through the corner and that when the coroners report comes out it wont be what people are expecting. Looking at the video again it could be a cause - its not like the bike is really out of control and he isnt moving to get control.

a few people i've spoken to think that he may have a heart attack or anurism or something to that effect before he got hit. Apparently he wasnt acting right before moving through the corner and that when the coroners report comes out it wont be what people are expecting. Looking at the video again it could be a cause - its not like the bike is really out of control and he isnt moving to get control.

He certainly seemed to be hanging off his bike and unconscious before being hit. I do hope that is the case, for the two lads who hit him.

Looks to me like he lost the front of the bike then regained grip but was unable to regain control as he was hanging off the bike. Tragic accident. Really feel for his family and his best mate Rossi who may have made the fatal blow. Horrible crash but that is motorsport.

RIP Marco.

I don't think dropping the stretcher on the way to the ambulance did him any good. If he had a broken neck that probably finished him off.

Thats a bit like the simpsons episode where bart was going to jump some canyon on a skateboard, and homer ended up doing it. With predictable results.