Jan Poortvliet reckons we are due a big win

qwertySFC

after Tuesday's game he talked about how many chances we had created, but I only remember a few half chances in the first half, a couple of blocked shots and a goal and a blast wide from a tight angle from McGoldrick.

I think he is kidding himself if he thinks we are opening teams up and only poor finishing is preventing us gettign a hat full.

I think he is kidding himself if he thinks we are opening teams up and only poor finishing is preventing us gettign a hat full.

I quite agree. I think he is hoping that suddenly the team will click and we will start winning a load of games. Unfortunately I haven't seen any evidence of that happening!

You would have thought by now JP really should have cottoned on to just how difficult it is to get any type of win in the CCC - perhaps he's a slow learner .

With the notable exception of Adam Lallana our so-called 'strikeforce' is now reduced to BWP , DMG and a couple of cheap loan players who are by definition not good enough to get anywhere near their club's first team . I ask you who in their right mind is going to predict that lot are about to put 4 or 5 goals past any decent side in this division ?

What planet is Jan Poortvliet living on ? - is he so divorced from the real world that's he's now operating in some alternate reality where he's a top manager running a talented well financed team on the brink of promotion ?

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

So we now answer to members of the Abu Dhabi’s royal family...

Barclays is to raise £7.3 billion from investors after securing a £5.8 billion cash injection from investors in Qatar and Abu Dhabi, in exchange for a stake of over 30 per cent in the British lender. The bank announced this morning that it will raise up to £2 billion pounds from Qatar Qatar Investment Authority (QIA), an existing shareholder, and its associated holdings, and £300 million from Challenger, an investment vehicle of a member of Qatar’s royal family.

It will also raise £3.5 billion from Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a member of Abu Dhabi’s royal family, which would give him a 16.3 per cent stake in the bank.

Barclays is seeking to raise up to a further £1.5 billion from existing and other investors.

At the start of the season he said the following:

"Since I joined Southampton, the quality in the squad I have seen is lovely. They're ready in terms of football and physically............I believe in the boys because they have qualities - I've never seen qualities like it. In terms of our aims this season, myself I go out to play for the prizes,"

However, the most telling part of his quotes that day was:

"The only thing I don't know is the quality of all the opponents."

Maybe someone should list out all his promises, targets etc, and ask him for some retrospective feedback!!!!!!!

Quite frankly, the time for spin, rallying calls, new targets etc etc etc is over. With a run of tough games taking us towards the halfway stage of the season, it is time for Jan and his team to stop talking and to start delivering.

At the start of the season he said the following:

"Since I joined Southampton, the quality in the squad I have seen is lovely. They're ready in terms of football and physically............I believe in the boys because they have qualities - I've never seen qualities like it. In terms of our aims this season, myself I go out to play for the prizes,"

However, the most telling part of his quotes that day was:

"The only thing I don't know is the quality of all the opponents."

Maybe someone should list out all his promises, targets etc, and ask him for some retrospective feedback!!!!!!!

Quite frankly, the time for spin, rallying calls, new targets etc etc etc is over. With a run of tough games taking us towards the halfway stage of the season, it is time for Jan and his team to stop talking and to start delivering.

To be honest though you've been against him from Day 1, haven't you Um? So really what he says is an irrelevance, because someone will try and twist it so that it reflects badly.

Jan is setting targets ("to go out to vin the prizes ya"), instilling confidence ("vot good qualities you have, you'll be big and strong enough") - all good in my opinion.

So what if he didn't know about every team at the beginning of the season? Things change - Pompey and Newcastle have different managers now, players are signed, systems are altered. If you're suggesting that he doesn't have teams scouted, watch tapes etc. then I think you are mistaken. For example, replacing Perry with Lancashire against QPR because "they play with two quick men up front" sounds to me like he's being proactive (perhaps not always right, but that's a separate point)

So (in my opinion) in terms of what he's said there is nothing there to dispute, yet you've managed to turn it into a negative.

Excuse me for suggesting hypocrisy, but isn't that 'spin'?

Edited by Alain Perrin

To be honest though you've been against him from Day 1, haven't you Um?

I haven't been against him from day one.

I have always hoped that he would be a success. Nothing would give me more pleasure than Jan succeeding and Saints climbing up the table. Anyone who would rather have their concerns come to fruition (so they can be proved right on noddy internet message board) to the detriment of the Club is not a true supporter in my eyes.

I certainly had my doubts about his suitability, I certainly had my doubts about the way he was bigged up, I certainly had my doubts that his CV and success in Holland was embellished, and I certainly voiced those concerns, but I was more than wiling to give him a chance and support him.

I have often come on here and said that he come across very well in interviews and after hearing him speak first hand he ticks some of the boxes require of a manager.

I have also argued that he needs to be given time, but I still have my doubts and they are increasing with each week that goes by. That's not being against him, that's just espousing an opinion as a Saints fan.

Jan is setting targets ("to go out to vin the prizes ya"), instilling confidence ("vot good qualities you have, you'll be big and strong enough") - all good in my opinion.

Targets, optimism and confidence are indeed all necessary. But hand in hand with them comes results.

Eventually targets, optimism and confidence ill be worth nothing if we continue with poor performances and a low league position. They be nothing more than meaningless platitudes.

So what if he didn't know about every team at the beginning of the season? Things change - Pompey and Newcastle have different managers now, players are signed, systems are altered. If you're suggesting that he doesn't have teams scouted, watch tapes etc. then I think you are mistaken. For example, replacing Perry with Lancashire against QPR because "they play with two quick men up front" sounds to me like he's being proactive (perhaps not always right, but that's a separate point)

What I alluding to was that he clearly underestimated the ability of our squad and more importantly was not aware of what the CCC entails.

We spent all summer building up a pretty, attacking, flowing, passing team, only for Jan to now find out that it's a pretty poor division with quite a bit of rough and tumble.

We needed a manager who would hit the ground running, not learn on the job at one of the most critical points in the Club's history. I was worried as much about his abilities as a coach as I was about undertaking such a gamble at such a delicate time.

So (in my opinion) in terms of what he's said there is nothing there to dispute, yet you've managed to turn it into a negative.

All I am saying is that the time for promises, rallying calls and targets has passed.

The honeymoon period is over and Jan has to start delivering. The current return of less than a point a game is poor, and the longer that form continues the worse that statistic begins to look.

Jan will be judged not by his interviews with the OS and The Echo, but on results. You can't twist the league table.

You would have thought by now JP really should have cottoned on to just how difficult it is to get any type of win in the CCC - perhaps he's a slow learner .

With the notable exception of Adam Lallana our so-called 'strikeforce' is now reduced to BWP , DMG and a couple of cheap loan players who are by definition not good enough to get anywhere near their club's first team . I ask you who in their right mind is going to predict that lot are about to put 4 or 5 goals past any decent side in this division ?

What planet is Jan Poortvliet living on ? - is he so divorced from the real world that's he's now operating in some alternate reality where he's a top manager running a talented well financed team on the brink of promotion ?

The same planet as Rupert "Mr PLC " Lowe ......

I haven't been against him from day one.

I have always hoped that he would be a success. Nothing would give me more pleasure than Jan succeeding and Saints climbing up the table. Anyone who would rather have their concerns come to fruition (so they can be proved right on noddy internet message board) to the detriment of the Club is not a true supporter in my eyes.

I certainly had my doubts about his suitability, I certainly had my doubts about the way he was bigged up, I certainly had my doubts that his CV and success in Holland was embellished, and I certainly voiced those concerns, but I was more than wiling to give him a chance and support him.

I have often come on here and said that he come across very well in interviews and after hearing him speak first hand he ticks some of the boxes require of a manager.

I have also argued that he needs to be given time, but I still have my doubts and they are increasing with each week that goes by. That's not being against him, that's just espousing an opinion as a Saints fan.

Targets, optimism and confidence are indeed all necessary. But hand in hand with them comes results.

Eventually targets, optimism and confidence ill be worth nothing if we continue with poor performances and a low league position. They be nothing more than meaningless platitudes.

What I alluding to was that he clearly underestimated the ability of our squad and more importantly was not aware of what the CCC entails.

We spent all summer building up a pretty, attacking, flowing, passing team, only for Jan to now find out that it's a pretty poor division with quite a bit of rough and tumble.

We needed a manager who would hit the ground running, not learn on the job at one of the most critical points in the Club's history. I was worried as much about his abilities as a coach as I was about undertaking such a gamble at such a delicate time.

All I am saying is that the time for promises, rallying calls and targets has passed.

The honeymoon period is over and Jan has to start delivering. The current return of less than a point a game is poor, and the longer that form continues the worse that statistic begins to look.

Jan will be judged not by his interviews with the OS and The Echo, but on results. You can't twist the league table.

Fair comment.

The only thing I would in his defence is that since first assessing the squad, JP has seen his better strikers hived off to other clubs as the Board carry out drastic cost cutting, which has reduced the firepower of the squad significantly

Saints are not "due" a big win at all........ there has not been a barrowload of missed chances that somehow on another day might have gone in the net!!........they are shot shy, lame and unable to threaten the opposition in front of goal..........I would imagine Preston and their fans would have a lot more credence in expecting a big win tomorrow!!

What a load of old tosh!!