Euell up front?

Ken Tone

It seems to me that I keep seeing us play pretty pretty football, but with no bite up front. It's been really noticeable in the last 2 home games how Clinton Morrison and Dele Adebayor (sp?) have been the real difference between the teams.

In this league a big, but mobile, striker makes the difference. Stern John and Rasiak are not mobile, and Saga is not big. Nor is McGoldrick.

On the other hand Euell is both, and has played quite well in 'the hole' lately, behind Mcgoldrick. He began his career as a striker. Why not play him in front of McG ? Poortvliet can stick to his precious 4-2-3-1/ 4-4-1-1 formation, but just swap those 2 over. I wouldn't expect Euell to actually score all that many, but McGoldrick and the midfield might get more playing off him, and either way we'd keep the ball up in the opposition's half a lot longer.

At the moment the keeper rolls it out, clearly under instruction never to kick, it gets played up to about 2/3 of the way up the pitch via some very pretty passing, but then it bounces off a big defender or one of the passes goes astray , and it comes straight back into our penallty area.

K.

Makes way too much sense - will never happen!

Too fragile to take the hits up front nowadays, I'm afraid

Start him in the hole, unless Gasmi is fit enough of course. Can't be any less efficient than the current incumbent- who can go and dazzle us with his trickery out on the right wing and leave the serious business of scoring goals to real men.

Like playing Gobern in reserves on Tuesday and then again on Saturday doesn't make any sense. Since when does sense come into our teams selections. Added to that where was Morgan. He is always missed when absent.

Gobern probably wouldn't have started if Morgan was fit, but seemingly he wasn't.Same problem as the others perhaps, or a big birthday binge, never know with us do you.

Euell has got to be worth a try. I also noticed that we started playing better when we played more narrow through the middle, which seemed to take City by surprise a bit. They played 5 in midfield to stop any attacks down the wings, which apart from a couple of early attempts by Thompson, seemed to have us sussed out very easily.

Maybe with Skacel as the attacking midfielder we would have had a better supply down the left. I can't understand why our best assist player is being held back in defence and surely his sell value would be greater if played in midfield.

I know everyone has been praising Cork, but I thought he was our weak link on saturday. He got beat with ease on to many occasions, but he is still better than anyone else in that position.

My Team for Wolves would be:

Davis

Cork Svennson/Lanc Pearce Mills

? Morgan Surman Skacel

Euell White/DMG

Euell has got to be worth a try. I also noticed that we started playing better when we played more narrow through the middle, which seemed to take City by surprise a bit. They played 5 in midfield to stop any attacks down the wings, which apart from a couple of early attempts by Thompson, seemed to have us sussed out very easily.

Maybe with Skacel as the attacking midfielder we would have had a better supply down the left. I can't understand why our best assist player is being held back in defence and surely his sell value would be greater if played in midfield.

I know everyone has been praising Cork, but I thought he was our weak link on saturday. He got beat with ease on to many occasions, but he is still better than anyone else in that position.

My Team for Wolves would be:

Davis

Cork Svennson/Lanc Pearce Mills

? Morgan Surman Skacel

Euell White/DMG

There's a Lallana shaped hole in that formation where the question mark is. Four quality players in midfield - looks good if Killer could get back to somewhere near his best...

I think Euell up front could work in a 4-4-2 formation. I think he could hold the ball up well, but I don't think he'd score many, especially playing on his own.

@OP: Saga was no midget and scored a few with his head. Wolves, Birmingham, PNE and Sheff Utd. He also set up John's wonder goal against Hull with his head.

Am I alone too in thinking that the apparent instruction to our keeper to always roll the ball out to a nearby player, so we build from the back is OTT. By all means make this a tactic, even a frequently used tactic, but not *every* time surely?

Quite apart from whether this is agood tactic in itself, it became so predictable for the opposition. Just occasionally, Jan, please let Kel just welly it upfield.

K.

PS Dear Jan, Can we please swap all 3 of Smith, Robertson and Pulis, for one Clinton Morrison or similar?

I think Euell up front could work in a 4-4-2 formation. I think he could hold the ball up well, but I don't think he'd score many, especially playing on his own.

@OP: Saga was no midget and scored a few with his head. Wolves, Birmingham, PNE and Sheff Utd. He also set up John's wonder goal against Hull with his head.

Billy Jones O.G

I see your point though.