What the f*ck is wrong with my car?

Turkish

Driving home from work and just for to the bottom of the M3 when the ABS light came on and the messages 'anti lock break malfunctionction, contact dealer' the steering went really stiff, a real effort to go round a corner. When I got home I pulled up switched the engine off, went to turn it back on and it won't start, barely ticks over. Been running fine until then and had it for a year with no problems.

Edited by Turkish

Driving home from work and just for to the bottom of the M3 when the ABS light came on and the messages 'anti lock break malfunctionction, contact dealer' the steering went really stiff, a real effort to go round a corner. When I got home I pulled up switched the engine off, went to turn it back on and it won't start, barely ticks over. Been running fine until then and habit for a year with no problems.

Could be something as simple as your alternator packing up, hence dead battery which affects the power steering. Happened to me not long back.

ABS and most types of power steering are based on Hydraulics. And yes, the lack of starting could indicate a lack of power going to the car's systems.

Battery and Hydraulic pump systems need checking.

Is it a Diesel or Petrol? Petrol vehicles are more electronically sensitive.

ABS and most types of power steering are based on Hydraulics. And yes, the lack of starting could indicate a lack of power going to the car's systems.

Battery and Hydraulic pump systems need checking.

Is it a Diesel or Petrol? Petrol vehicles are more electronically sensitive.

Diesel. Saab 93 1.9 TDI. Just been googling and seen autonator faliure is a common problem with them it seems. The ABS and steering thing seems a bit wierd though.

Great. Booked it in for a service yesterday as well, damn thing is going to cost me a few quid next week FFS.

At least it didn't put you into a ditch. :s

Alternator failure struck me in an old diesel while running..... managed to drive it home thankfully. It was an old car without power steering and ABS though, could get away with it, if it was Petrol you would have been stranded there and then.

My car has squeaky brakes at low speed/coming to a stop... Pads and discs are fine... Anyone.?

Why do you say the pads and discs are fine? Squeaking is usually wear and tear, warped discs, hard compound pads or stones trapped between the pads and disc although the last one isn't usually long term and can usually be resolved by reversing.

The alternator in my Saab 93 TDI Vector went recently as well. Apparently common in 56/57/58 plates at around 80k.

Yep, a guy at work has one as well same year as mine and similar mileage, his went about a month ago. Only cost £275 as well which was a bargain from a very well recommended garage in Shirley.

My car has squeaky brakes at low speed/coming to a stop... Pads and discs are fine...

Anyone.?

Why do you say the pads and discs are fine? Squeaking is usually wear and tear, warped discs, hard compound pads or stones trapped between the pads and disc although the last one isn't usually long term and can usually be resolved by reversing.

Something to do with brake components being made of different materials these days? I took my car to the garage as it's still under warrenty as I had the same problem, but was told it was to do with the ceramic parts on my car and was normal. Put the stereo up louder, it's solved my problem ;)

My car has squeaky brakes at low speed/coming to a stop... Pads and discs are fine...

Anyone.?

TDD if you have the skills to do the job, strip and clean the brakes pads and disk and when you are replacing them put a light smear of copper slip on the back of the pad, note only a light smear, this will help stop the vibration of the back of the pad and the holder when the pad is in contact with disc.

TDD if you have the skills to do the job, strip and clean the brakes pads and disk and when you are replacing them put a light smear of copper slip on the back of the pad, note only a light smear, this will help stop the vibration of the back of the pad and the holder when the pad is in contact with disc.

funny you should say that...dropped the car into the garage this morning to get the brakes checked out....they said the pads and discs are fine and did what you said..cleaned and greased them all up and now it seems fine...£20 for the job too...top stuff for peace of mind if anything

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone.?

You can buy pad backing material that sometimes comes in a sheet that you cut out to the pad shape or already in the shape of your particular cars pads.(not to be confused with the metal backing shims) This changes the resonant frequency of the pad and so usually cures the noise.

In some cases this does not work. Sometimes changing the pad material helps, Get advice from someone like the local Ferodo agents (Kimber Friction), NOT ordinary spares outlets, speak to their technical staff.(which may not be on the counter)