Chris Newman in the Echo

Long Shot

Whilst I have no doubt his views are sincerely held, his whole arguement is spoiled by his decision to compare our following and fortunes to that of Wolves.

For those with shorter (or younger) memories Wolves have been in considerably more dire straights than we are presently. Whilst living in Exeter some 20 or so years ago I recall going to see Exeter v Wolves in the old Div 4. Chris refers to their fans as the more fanatical variety - well their fans did stick by them thats for sure. Yes, they were one of the Euorpean pioneers, but they have also seen hard times and to ignore that fact is a nonsense.

The fortunes of all clubs wax and wane - whoever is in charge, and success is always relative (there's a significant minority of Arsenal fans who think Wenger should go FFS). Our time will come again. I have enjoyed the football our kids play this year considerably more than the overpaid, hopelessly unfit, posturing by last year's mercenaries. Can Bristol Rovers have been erased form the memory so soon?

Whoever the Chairman is, the crowds will come flooding back if (however unlikely is appears right now) we put together a run of games that gets us into contention. We all know that to be true. Fans are fickle.

Of course all football fans are insular hold a parochial view of the world - but the reality is the club will never be all that we want it to be.

Keep the faith.

Like CE I have followed the club since 1960 and like him, I don't see the point of watching your team lose week after week, with the result that I am also one of the missing thousands, except for the occasional match. But if results improve, I will be back regularly again.

Where I differ with CE is his apparant belief that our club should be immune from the falls in fortune that affect almost all clubs from time to time. So far we haven't sunk as far as Aston Villa, Wolves, Leeds, and the fact that a couple of those have come back from the lower levels should give us hope. But there are no guarantees, and CE shows his simplistic colours by talkiing about the Lowe and Wilde board as a 'regime' implying that if only someone else was in the chair everything would be fine. Maybe CE is just showing his age as the optimism of youth fades away.....

Whilst I have no doubt his views are sincerely held, his whole arguement is spoiled by his decision to compare our following and fortunes to that of Wolves.

For those with shorter (or younger) memories Wolves have been in considerably more dire straights than we are presently. Whilst living in Exeter some 20 or so years ago I recall going to see Exeter v Wolves in the old Div 4. Chris refers to their fans as the more fanatical variety - well their fans did stick by them thats for sure. Yes, they were one of the Euorpean pioneers, but they have also seen hard times and to ignore that fact is a nonsense.

The fortunes of all clubs wax and wane - whoever is in charge, and success is always relative (there's a significant minority of Arsenal fans who think Wenger should go FFS). Our time will come again. I have enjoyed the football our kids play this year considerably more than the overpaid, hopelessly unfit, posturing by last year's mercenaries. Can Bristol Rovers have been erased form the memory so soon?

Whoever the Chairman is, the crowds will come flooding back if (however unlikely is appears right now) we put together a run of games that gets us into contention. We all know that to be true. Fans are fickle.

Of course all football fans are insular hold a parochial view of the world - but the reality is the club will never be all that we want it to be.

Keep the faith.

His arguement also seems a bit bizarre when he goes on to talk about 'the truly loyal support' of Newport County. I would guess Mr Newman that the loyal support you were rightly impressed with stems from fans of their club refusing to turn their back in spite of extremely tough times- we haven't even got close to that yet & he's already had enough.

Anyway off to Reading in a bit with 4,000 or so 'blinkered Saints followers' as he puts it

His arguement also seems a bit bizarre when he goes on to talk about 'the truly loyal support' of Newport County. I would guess Mr Newman that the loyal support you were rightly impressed with stems from fans of their club refusing to turn their back in spite of extremely tough times- we haven't even got close to that yet & he's already had enough.

Anyway off to Reading in a bit with 4,000 or so 'blinkered Saints followers' as he puts it

You are entitled to your view of course, the real test will be season ticket re newals next season.

Then I think that many will not renew and join the ranks of Mr Newman...unless Lowe / wilde/JP have gone and results improve

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5321

think its the same -already with own thread

can't see how he didn't find Wolves game entertaining

To be fair, I think in Chris's article he referred to the good football played in the Wolves game.

As to some of the inconsistancies I can confirm Chris's reasons for staying away are mainly because of Lowe but he "had to tread carefully when writing the article due to percieved, potential legal implications".

My opinion fwiw, it is very sad when it appears we no longer have freedom of speach unless it is done anonymously on here.

My opinion fwiw, it is very sad when it appears we no longer have freedom of speach unless it is done anonymously on here.

Libel law is equally as applicable here as it is in a newspaper, regardless of whether or not you put your name to it.

Libel law is equally as applicable here as it is in a newspaper, regardless of whether or not you put your name to it.

I've asked the question now every time this comes up. Can anyone actually quote a single libel case that has come to court between a club or its officials and a supporters' forum?

Just one will do...

Like CE I have followed the club since 1960 and like him, I don't see the point of watching your team lose week after week, with the result that I am also one of the missing thousands, except for the occasional match. But if results improve, I will be back regularly again.

lol sounds like a 4 year old saying im not playing any more if you wont let me win.

Jeez you watch n support saints whatever the results.... otherwise you have to find another team (difficult i know, or you find another sport)

This isnt anonymouse. You have an IP address. That can be tracked to an ISP. ISP can pass on details of account etc etc. Very few things are truely anonymous these days. Which is a good thing. People shouldnt be allowed to say stuff if they are not prepared to both back it up and be held accountable for their words.

Not close enough, Weston, although I assume you know that. The Sheff Wed 'case' is well-known, and was an action to force the disclosure of identities of certain posters. No libel case against those posters was ever pursued, as far as I know. It seemed to me at least that this was an instance where the law was being invoked as a means of intimidation, rather than a serious pursuit of a defamation case.

I've asked the question now every time this comes up. Can anyone actually quote a single libel case that has come to court between a club or its officials and a supporters' forum?

Just one will do...

Just because something doesn't get to court doesn't make it any less illegal. It just means you have more chance of getting away with it.

Or is there some new law that says otherwise?

Just because something doesn't get to court doesn't make it any less illegal. It just means you have more chance of getting away with it.

Or is there some new law that says otherwise?

First, most clubs would be loathe to take action against their own supporters for reasons that should hardly need spelling out.

Second, what you call 'getting away with it' in most other countries falls under the categories either of fair comment or what the Americans call First Amendment rights. It is assumed in most civilised countries that people in public positions should be subject to scrutiny and criticism, even if it is uncomfortable.

If a 13th century law is still on the statute book and is used and abused routinely now by libel tourists from abroad, and is just as routinely condemned by just about every serious legal thinker, what does that tell you?

But to repeat my initial question: can you tell me of a single libel case that has gone to court?

3 things come to mind

1) everyones decision whether to go or not and I wouldn't criticise anyone for not going, but he seems to arrogantly criticising people who still support saints just because he doesn't.

2) he compares the Wolves performance negatively to last seasons. Guessing he didn't go much last season either as there may have been a few odd wins, but list how many games last year at St Marys that saints played as well (even if had clear failings for 20 mins in first half, and lacking in areas to make it good enough) showed a fraction of that spirit and energy. Not many with any of our managers last year.

3) posted it on another thread but this is what Reading fan said about us; "Remember they used to chant " where were you when you were s**t" at us. I think the appropriate chant for them is " where are you now you are s**t" back. LOLoyal fans my arse."

Does that apply to Mr Newman and will he be back when we are good again?

3 things come to mind

1) everyones decision whether to go or not and I wouldn't criticise anyone for not going, but he seems to arrogantly criticising people who still support saints just because he doesn't.

2) he compares the Wolves performance negatively to last seasons. Guessing he didn't go much last season either as there may have been a few odd wins, but list how many games last year at St Marys that saints played as well (even if had clear failings for 20 mins in first half, and lacking in areas to make it good enough) showed a fraction of that spirit and energy. Not many with any of our managers last year.

3) posted it on another thread but this is what Reading fan said about us; "Remember they used to chant " where were you when you were s**t" at us. I think the appropriate chant for them is " where are you now you are s**t" back. LOLoyal fans my arse."

I understand where you are coming from but having spoken to Mr Newman this morning he does feel the article eventually published was altered because of potential legal reasons which has meant it doesn't quite sound the way the original did.

I think the "media" in which this article was published in unfortunately but probably neccesarily treads very warily in the wake of Lowe's succesful suing of the Telegraph.

I understand where you are coming from but having spoken to Mr Newman this morning he does feel the article eventually published was altered because of potential legal reasons which has meant it doesn't quite sound the way the original did.

I think the "media" in which this article was published in unfortunately but probably neccesarily treads very warily in the wake of Lowe's succesful suing of the Telegraph.

Wasn't it Martin Samuel in the Times? Or has Rupes been at it again?

don't know the guy so only judging on article, appreciate it may not come across as he wanted but reads as someone who has chosen not to support saints anymore (his choice) but rather than moving on is bitter against those who still does and feels the need to get publicity for his bitterness to fans and his sulking.

don't know the guy so only judging on article, appreciate it may not come across as he wanted but reads as someone who has chosen not to support saints anymore (his choice) but rather than moving on is bitter against those who still does and feels the need to get publicity for his bitterness to fans and his sulking.

Do you slag off articles by Nick "I dont speak for the fan base. No, REALLY" Illingsworth when they get printed in the Echo ?

Nah, thought not. If you want to slag someone off, slag the Echo off for posting ANY "personal perspectives" from celebrity fans, or dont slag off any one at all.

First, most clubs would be loathe to take action against their own supporters for reasons that should hardly need spelling out.

Second, what you call 'getting away with it' in most other countries falls under the categories either of fair comment or what the Americans call First Amendment rights. It is assumed in most civilised countries that people in public positions should be subject to scrutiny and criticism, even if it is uncomfortable.

If a 13th century law is still on the statute book and is used and abused routinely now by libel tourists from abroad, and is just as routinely condemned by just about every serious legal thinker, what does that tell you?

But to repeat my initial question: can you tell me of a single libel case that has gone to court?

What do other countries have to do with it? This is a UK based website, accessed by people in the UK, focusing on UK based events and people, ergo UK law applies. I don't like that the guilt is assumed in libel cases, but that's the law of the land, so we have to deal with it. You can moan and squirm about it all you want. Until the statute is changed however, you can't just ignore it.

I could tell you of hundreds of libel cases that have gone to court if I had a copy of McNaes to hand. However, I'll assume you are referring to football-based internet forums (drastically narrowing the field). Seeing as they have only really been in use for 10-to-15 years, the lack of actions is hardly surprising.

You're right when you say a club would be foolhardy in PR terms to take fans to court over a defamation of a staff member. Does that mean they wouldn't do it? Who knows. I'd rather not be the guinea pig for that experiment.

Personally I think most of the stuff said on here about isn't enough to worry about in terms of libel laws. All I did was point out that the same law covering newspapers applies to any published statement. Am I wrong? You seem to be trying to insinuate that I am.

The size of the risk of any possible action is up to the individual to decide, but as I pointed out, just because it doesn't end up in court, does not make a libellous comment less defamatory - it just means it's gone unnoticed or the defamed doesn't think it's worth it.

Edited by Danny

Do you slag off articles by Nick "I dont speak for the fan base. No, REALLY" Illingsworth when they get printed in the Echo ?

Nah, thought not. If you want to slag someone off, slag the Echo off for posting ANY "personal perspectives" from celebrity fans, or dont slag off any one at all.

Nah you are wrong, again.

Crikey, who shook your tree?

I read it as a critique of the article not the person. No-one was "slagged off".

lol sounds like a 4 year old saying im not playing any more if you wont let me win.

Jeez you watch n support saints whatever the results.... otherwise you have to find another team (difficult i know, or you find another sport)

In his defence, he didn't say he had stopped supporting just not going regularly.

I remember back when we were relegated in '74, I was 11 years old and I said to my dad that I would have to find a new team. He pointed out Saints needed my support more than ever and you support your team through thick and thin. It has stuck with me and I have stuck with Saints. Makes you miserable at times though!

Crikey, who shook your tree?

I read it as a critique of the article not the person. No-one was "slagged off".

thanks -thought it was expained fairly in the post with the 3 things it made me think.

What do other countries have to do with it? This is a UK based website, accessed by people in the UK, focusing on UK based events and people, ergo UK law applies. I don't like that the guilt is assumed in libel cases, but that's the law of the land, so we have to deal with it. You can moan and squirm about it all you want. Until the statute is changed however, you can't just ignore it.

I could tell you of hundreds of libel cases that have gone to court if I had a copy of McNaes to hand. However, I'll assume you are referring to football-based internet forums (drastically narrowing the field). Seeing as they have only really been in use for 10-to-15 years, the lack of actions is hardly surprising.

You're right when you say a club would be foolhardy in PR terms to take fans to court over a defamation of a staff member. Does that mean they wouldn't do it? Who knows. I'd rather not be the guinea pig for that experiment.

Personally I think most of the stuff said on here about isn't enough to worry about in terms of libel laws. All I did was point out that the same law covering newspapers applies to any published statement. Am I wrong? You seem to be trying to insinuate that I am.

The size of the risk of any possible action is up to the individual to decide, but as I pointed out, just because it doesn't end up in court, does not make a libellous comment less defamatory - it just means it's gone unnoticed or the defamed doesn't think it's worth it.

Good grief, I really hope you're not a lawyer, although your ability to avoid most of the issues I raised suggests that you might be - as is your quaintly prostrate acceptance of a piece of legislation derided by pretty much every sentient legal commentator.

What do other countries have to do with it? I'm aghast that you need to ask.

Re-read my post if you can be bothered and it might be clearer.

And you still haven't answered my initial question. 10 to 15 years is long enough, surely. Quote one case. Just one. And while you're at it, find one respected legal commentator to defend British libel law.

Edited by Roman

Calling someone "bitter" and accusing him of "sulking" is a critique of the article, is it ?

Riiiiight...:rolleyes:

miserable and not very bright - not good combination. Never mid you never could deal with reasoned opinion. Move on if you have nothing useful to add.

3 things come to mind

I understand where you are coming from but having spoken to Mr Newman this morning he does feel the article eventually published was altered because of potential legal reasons which has meant it doesn't quite sound the way the original did.I think the "media" in which this article was published in unfortunately but probably neccesarily treads very warily in the wake of Lowe's succesful suing of the Telegraph.

Alpine, as I am quite generous to those who are less fortunate thought I would try, again, to help you follow a thread.

miserable and not very bright - not good combination. Never mid you never could deal with reasoned opinion. Move on if you have nothing useful to add.

For the spokesperson for the Lowey group/luvvies/agency..you really are up yourself sometimes nickh/g whichever you are..your some piece of work sometimes..real arrogance..who does that sound like?

and another one! do you dream about him!

I love supporting the team as you well know from my posts, wish I was there today, but making me look forward to Tuesday, you?

nick all is forgiven..you may have been right all along...

If we keep this up,can I join your gang please...Lowey for Prime Minister..what a coaching team he has put together...By the way you are a top supporter..someone told me...

Bring back woggy.

No not really - Chris is a nice chap, well-respected etc etc and the Echo asked him if he would write something as he has periodically written things for them in the past. He is just very disillusioned.

No not really - Chris is a nice chap, well-respected etc etc and the Echo asked him if he would write something as he has periodically written things for them in the past. He is just very disillusioned.

I don't doubt you're right, but to accuse loyal supporters of being "at best misguided", whilst in the same piece lauding Wolves fanatics, is itself misguided. IMO.

Was he at the cup final, whilst RL was at the helm? Should we go on a 10 game unbeaten run, would he return?

Just because your team is not very good does not mean that you stop supporting the team.

A friend has been supporting Hull for fifty years he is really happy now as you can imagine

Agreed, it's easy to justify not going to see Saints play by saying it's because of Lowe - when actually the 'real' reasons are:

1) It's not that enjoyable watching the team play - especially when we lose which is most weeks

2) There are no 'big' names or quality players in the team

In that Echo article, those factors come across more strongly than any anti-Lowe feeling. The truth is, we don't have big players we don't play the big teams and we don't win as often...these have a much bigger effect on attendances than one man

Agreed, it's easy to justify not going to see Saints play by saying it's because of Lowe - when actually the 'real' reasons are:

1) It's not that enjoyable watching the team play - especially when we lose which is most weeks

2) There are no 'big' names or quality players in the team

In that Echo article, those factors come across more strongly than any anti-Lowe feeling. The truth is, we don't have big players we don't play the big teams and we don't win as often...these have a much bigger effect on attendances than one man

Obviously it's all down to personal choice, but for me I would happily pay for the 09/10 season ticket today if I knew the lads in the team would be playing the sort of football they played today regardless of any percieved big names in the team.

You are entitled to your view of course, the real test will be season ticket re newals next season.

Then I think that many will not renew and join the ranks of Mr Newman...unless Lowe / wilde/JP have gone and results improve

You are conflating two separate arguments. Are the crowds down because of Lowe/Wilde or because results have not been as good as the standard of play the youngsters have been producing? I should imagine that if we manage to follow up today's win with wins against Plymouth and Charlton then we will begin to get a clearer answer to that question.

Well tell Mr Newman he missed a cracker today!! It was a pleasure to see 4,000 passionate Saints fans behind the team. Even more so after the drivel he wrote