Guardian's World's Best Footballers

SaintWill71

Folly was talked about as the next Viera, then he just never got any better, if anything he got considerably worse.

Talked about maybe, but my point was he never showed any real promise on the pitch (although Sturrock obviously saw something as he resigned him twice for different clubs).

I dont doubt he's got potential and looks decent but this doesn't always mean they will fullfil it, football is littered with players of potential that never made it for one reason or another. There are no guarentees he is going to improve.

I dont know what you mean about Ryan Smith not showing potential, Mark Wotte described him as world class! :lol:

One that really jumps to mind there is Freddy Adu.

From what i've seen of him, against Villa and spurs, he's looked class. The type of player that's exciting to watch. He's only 21 and Puncheon has been rightfully keeping him out of the team. He will get his chance. Maybe sooner rather than later with the injury to Lallana.

But he's not a winger. He's our third choice centre forward.

From what i've seen of him, against Villa and spurs, he's looked class. The type of player that's exciting to watch. He's only 21 and Puncheon has been rightfully keeping him out of the team. He will get his chance. Maybe sooner rather than later with the injury to Lallana.

I think it's a shame he was brought down for that pen against Villa.

A goal early on (career wise I mean) could have done his confidence a world of good, Strikers are often confidence players - Torres?

I see they have added the next instalment this morning - going up to #40.

By my reckoning, we should have at least Rickie, Lallana, Gaston & Morgan in the top 40. Decent.

In case anyone cares, the Guardian reveal how they compiled the list:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/dec/20/guardian-world-top-100-footballers

We asked each of our 11-strong panel (for the full list, scroll down) to give us their top 30 active players in the world and rank them in order of preference. Once the lists were submitted, players were scored on their ranking by each panellist: a No1 choice allocated 30pts, No2 29pts and so on down to selection No30, given one point.

[quote=KelvinsRightGlove;1559389

I see they have added the next instalment this morning - going up to #40.

By my reckoning, we should have at least Rickie, Lallana, Gaston & Morgan in the top 40. Decent.

none of them will even be in the list which is why Mayuka at 85 is such a joke. Thing is he's an international having scored goals in what's considered to be a major international tournament and that's what gets him his 85th place. The fact that he can't get into our side changes nothing in the eyes of his electors, they probably don't even know who we are.

If you look at the list it's just a who's who of the Champion's League with a couple of brazilians thrown in for good measure.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Never heard of him before he signed, never gets a game after he's signed, and now he's rated the 85th best player in the world. Is this finally a case of an agent actually earning his dosh?

He was top scorer for his country as they became African Nations Champions THIS YEAR, with them beating Ivory Coast, Ghana and Senegal on the way. It's not much of a reach to find him on the list, and not having heard of him just means you don't know much about African football, rather than that he's suddenly a great player - if anything he's been tumbling down the list since January and he'd have been much higher on a comparable list from February 2012.