Time to start Patterson

Chez

As the thread title says I think it is time to start with Patterson up front. I've seen him come on two or three times now and on each occasion he has looked excellent in my opinion.

He appears to have a decent first touch, strength to hold the ball up and can lead the line. This is perfect for McGoldrick who needs a big number 9 to play off. Skacel also loves him for as he offers a great out ball (allbeit long) and it actually sticks unlike with Robertson. I also like his work rate and his desire. A miscontrol is followed by a fully fledged tackle not a shrug of the shoulders.

Patterson also offers decent height in both boxes which Robertson doesn't. In fact what does Robertson offer us? For staters he lacks pace, goals, strength, first touch and in the end he is a Sheffield United player so whats the point in us giving him time to develop (unless of course he is going to be here long term which must be a possibility).

Patterson on the other hand is ours and perhaps just needs games. The time has come IMO.

Gobern looked good when he came on as a sub but was completly lost when starting. Im all for giving paterson a go but there is a reason behind a load of sub appearences and a few games rest and it can mean that eventually you get a better player.

trouble is we need a striker to come into some form and bag a few goals which puts more urgency on trying the likes of paterson.

It's certainly worth a go.

IMHO we look better when DMG isn't the sole player up top and it has to be said that neither Pekhart nor Robertson have played the role any better.

I'd give it a go before the taansfer window, and if it doesn't come off would then give finding a player who can fit our style and lead the line on his own as a top priority.

It's certainly worth a go.

IMHO we look better when DMG isn't the sole player up top and it has to be said that neither Pekhart nor Robertson have played the role any better.

I'd give it a go before the taansfer window, and if it doesn't come off would then give finding a player who can fit our style and lead the line on his own as a top priority.

Odd because we looked far better in the 2nd half on Saturday when DMG was the sole player up top.

Odd because we looked far better in the 2nd half on Saturday when DMG was the sole player up top.

Fair enough, I can only go on the games that I have seen.

In a response my questions would be,

did we look more threatening and look likely to score on the 2nd???

Athough you say we looked better with DMG upfront, does that say more about Robertson than DMG???

Do you see DMG as the man to lead the line for the rest of the season???

Fair enough, I can only go on the games that I have seen.

In a response my questions would be,

did we look more threatening and look likely to score on the 2nd???

Athough you say we looked better with DMG upfront, does that say more about Robertson than DMG???

Do you see DMG as the man to lead the line for the rest of the season???

1) Yes, by a mile. Didn't really look dangerious in first, but had plenty of good forward play in 2nd.

2) Who knows? Robertson played very well at Reading, but hasn't done so well against Plymouth or Charlton.

3) Yes, I'd be happy with DMG leading the line for the rest of the season, but he can also play in any of the other 3 forward positions, so a better balance may come along. But remember we have Lee Holmes to come back, and BWP hitting form, and Lallana and Euell to fit in, so hopefully there will be competition for places.

Definitely start the next home game. A goal in that would give him plenty of confidence. So long as he plays up front anyway. I think he's the most natural striker we have coming through, moreso than McGoldrick, or the smaller forwards like White. I'd start next game with DMG behind and Lallana right, BWP left. Easy enough to switch to 442 at change the wingers around.

Cork in midfield with Schneiderlin if possible too. That partnership is so much more solid than anything else we have. I don't think James is anywhere near as bad at right back as has been made out either. Does mean Surman and Skacel either fighting for a place or changing one of the wingers though. Wouldn't mind seeing one of them left with BWP coming off the bench. Nice to see we have options. If Cork and Pearce were ours I'd feel a lot more confident.

I disgaree about James. Whenever a cross goes tot he backpost he is beaten. We were very lucky indeed on Saturday when this happened. He is absolutely terrible in the air (even Skacel is better) and he is slow. He also get drawn deep far too easily leavign space behind to expose. Thsi has happend several times recently including the goal at Reading.

He is a decent player IMO but as a right back he is a liability.

I also disagree about removing Surman from the middle. He is playing really well and without hsi forward runs from midfield you watch how stagnent we quickly look. It is extremely important to have people runniung off the ball and he does more of that than anyone else.

"Yes, I'd be happy with DMG leading the line for the rest of the season, but he can also play in any of the other 3 forward positions, so a better balance may come along. But remember we have Lee Holmes to come back, and BWP hitting form, and Lallana and Euell to fit in, so hopefully there will be competition for places."

I think DMG plays better off a main striker. I know he's not universally rated on here (understatement) but I think he has ability and we haven't seen the best of him. I've only seen Paterson for the 7 mins or so at Charlton but he looked promising and the partnership is definitely worth a go but it may need players around those two to adapt in order to make the most of it.

Our youth guru Navyred thinks he is ready.

Its a big jump up but I've seen enough. He looks a better prospect than Robertson and Pekhart. I'd be interested to know what his scoring record is like for the reserves/youth team. He looks a decent target man to me so goals won't be the be all and end all anyway but an added pysical presence would be great and he looks like he has it.

I think DMG plays better off a main striker. I know he's not universally rated on here (understatement) but I think he has ability and we haven't seen the best of him. I've only seen Paterson for the 7 mins or so at Charlton but he looked promising and the partnership is definitely worth a go but it may need players around those two to adapt in order to make the most of it.

He was as good if not better against Reading.

I also rate McGoldrick and trust my judgement of a player against anyone on here. He was too lazy early doors but since Stern `Lazy' John has gone he has come into his own in terms of workrate an effort. Funny that.

He was as good if not better against Reading.

I also rate McGoldrick and trust my judgement of a player against anyone on here. He was too lazy early doors but since Stern `Lazy' John has gone he has come into his own in terms of workrate an effort. Funny that.

Embarrassingly, I have to own up to having been at Reading too but that's no reflection on his performance, I trust your judgement, but more a reflection of mine, having spent too much time in the pub before the match.

I don't think we should throw him in straight away, keep giving him 20-30 minutes at the end of games and hopefully he will get a goal. Hopefully once Euell is back in the side it will be McGoldrick and Euell upfront, I think that offers the best balance and we can carry on using Patterson as an impact sub.

I really like the lad and his work rate, strength, hold up play and ability to run the channels remind me of James Beattie on a good day.

If he has goals in his game then he could be the centre forward we are looking for. I do not want to heap praise and pressure on him too early but starting a match really has to be just around the corner. Personally I would ditch the guys we have on loan (Pekhart and Robertson) and give Patterson an opportunity until January as he could be the real deal. If he isn't then what have we actually lost? We could then sign a striker in the January transfer window (Or get Stern John back) as we would then have an idea if Patterson is up to it.

i have seen all of pattersons performances so far and think he is nowhere near as good as you state. He looks fairly slow and weak. If he beefs up, then he could be an ok player but at the moment he should be no more than a sub. Also the other players clearly don't seem to rate him as they never really pass the ball to him (Lallana and DMG especially).

i have seen all of pattersons performances so far and think he is nowhere near as good as you state. He looks fairly slow and weak. If he beefs up, then he could be an ok player but at the moment he should be no more than a sub. Also the other players clearly don't seem to rate him as they never really pass the ball to him (Lallana and DMG especially).

Skacel looks and plays it long to him every single time. When he's not on the pitch Skacel doesn't bother playing it directly up to the striker as he knows it doesn't stick.

Pekhart and Robertson have looked average. Send them back, cut the wage bill and give the lad the shirt. Far too many strikers on the books if you ask me.

DMG has proven himself to be totally ineffectual as a striker and should be dropped to the reserves if for no other reason but to make him hungry to score again. I would try a different approach and have BWP up front with Euell supporting him in the slot. I think they could really make the difference. Failing that Euell and Patterson up front. Euell is the only striker at the moment that understands how to break into the box at speed and create problems for the opposing defence - the kids need to learn from his example.

Chez, an interesting and positive thread. It is good we are talking about our youngsters instead of the bl**dy politics of this club!!

Paterson in my very humble and honest opinion has the potential to go on and be a fantastic striker for this club. Saints have done a great job with him as he has been 'kept under the radar' and is now cementing his place in the first team squad. He keeps his head down and I have been told he is one of the hardest working players on the training ground.

At this moment in time I believe that JP is handling him perfectly. Bring him on give him 20/25 minutes towards the end of every game and let him show his talents off. I think that either McG or Lallana in the hole behind him would be perfect.

Soon to be the best striker at this club - IMHO of course!

Love it, COYR

Chez, an interesting and positive thread. It is good we are talking about our youngsters instead of the bl**dy politics of this club!!

Paterson in my very humble and honest opinion has the potential to go on and be a fantastic striker for this club. Saints have done a great job with him as he has been 'kept under the radar' and is now cementing his place in the first team squad. He keeps his head down and I have been told he is one of the hardest working players on the training ground.

At this moment in time I believe that JP is handling him perfectly. Bring him on give him 20/25 minutes towards the end of every game and let him show his talents off. I think that either McG or Lallana in the hole behind him would be perfect.

Soon to be the best striker at this club - IMHO of course!

Love it, COYR

Yes you are right but at the moment it seems he only comes on for ten minutes which is not enough

Our youth guru Navyred thinks he is ready.

With the greatest respect to Navyred, I dont quite rate him as highly. I know he is son of Navyred's friend or something so perhaps a bit of subjectivity creeps in from time to time.

Patto's scoring record for the youth and ressies is not particularly good. Looking at the stats and having seem him play myself numerous times I am sure he will not go on to be a prolific goal-scorer.

What navyred and I probably would agree on is that he has a great work-ethic and is very good in the air (I saw him play an U.18 game earlier this year and I swear he won about 20 aerial balls and lost none!!!). His link-up play is OK but will take time to bed in with our current set-up because he came after the main crop of youth players currently gracing our first eleven. What I'm trying to say perhaps is that he is more Sheringham than Shearer. Like Sherringham he lacks the physical attributes to make him an obvious striker but instead plays the game with his brain.

Time will tell but I'm not sure he is good enough for our Championship eleven. IMO McGoldrick was always a much better all-round player when the same age and also IMO White is a better prospect.

IMO to solve our curent position we need goalscorers rather than more link-up players.

IMO to solve our curent position we need goalscorers rather than more link-up players.

that mighe be true, but we certainly could do with a little more physical presence and height up front - just look at the difference when Euell came into the side and put himself about. We need someone we can play long to now and again because short stuff all the time becomes predictable and easier and easier to defend against (although you wouldn't think it looking at the second half display on Saturday). If you throw in a long ball, a ball over the top, one down the channel and then a shed load of neat passing in between you have a great mixture of attacking threats.

We could also do with a few freebie goals. What I mean by that is goals like Pearce scored directly from a corner that didn't need 28 passes, an eye of a needle ball and a defensive mistake to score. A lofted ball and a big man forcing a poor defensive header and then someone following it in to score `cheaply'.

Patterson appears to be better in the air than any of the other strikers and that alone makes his inclusion appealing. In short he looks like he does what Pekhart was brought here to do. Be the big man leading the line. This I think we need not some lazy arsed poacher that stands around waiting for a chance.

Having slated Robertson's last two showings he'll probably score a brace on Saturday to put me straight. I bloody well hope so otherwise lets get Paterson on with half hour to go not 10 minutes.

Patterson had about half an hour against Plymouth and didn't manage to get any chances but got stuck in and ran around a bit.

Like his attributes, the kind of player we need, but would give him a few more sub appearances and see If he can get a goal before starting him.