Players who impressed you in the lower leagues who haven't progressed.

Colinjb

Please explain the need for underlining, 6-dot ellipses and capitals in your message ? Would it not have been easier to understand with the emphasis on the words ?

Please explain the need for the space before each question mark in your post?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jonno Quick. I had high hopes for him when we signed him given the reference Nige have him, but MK Dons apart, never really showed his ability.

Because other than those two goals against MK Dons he has done literally NOTHING to impress ever (other than tie his shoe laces on his own), just a disappointing footballer.

Aah - Dutch first division V the English leagues? Anyone heard of Frank Demouge? Played for Utrecht, came to us (AFCB) as a marquee signing, kept getting injured and Eddie Howe didn't like the look of him (attitude we think..)

So he's on loan at RODA and scoring again. He's having an interview for one of the Dutch football websites and says that Lge 1 defenders are generally better than Dutch first division ones. So I think we can safely say that after the Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV group, the standard is pretty poor!

We do tend to underestimate just how good our leagues are,under the Prem.

On the exception of Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord and this season Vitesse, the Dutch Eredivie is about Championship standard, with the bottom 3 teams on League One level.

Back on topic, I would add Andrew Davies (who if I am correct won player of the season when we narrowly escaped relegation to League One) to that list and Matthew Bates (who I thought would be a decent Premier League CB a few seasons ago).

George Boyd. Always linked with bigger clubs. Excels for Peterborough and then struggles to impress wherever he goes on loan. Ends up back at Peterborough and back at square one. Currently on loan at Hull but I'll put money on him being at high level league 1 or low level Championship team at the start of next season.

Interesting one this and maybe one for another discussion but thought he played very well with Craig Mikhail-Smith when they were both at Peterborough but separately haven't done as well. I'm reminded of Ted McDougal and Phil Boyer - they were immense at both Norwich and Saints although in fairness to Phil Boyer he delivered the goods after McDougal had moved on.

Turning the thing on its head, I think that Morgan and Cork look better players in the higher league. One year older, more football played less hoofing (with a couple of notable exceptions), more time on the ball....??

"Less hoofing" is a factor, as they're more involved in everything, and Schneiderlin developing an attacking presence has raised his profile, but generally I think they've been about as good as they were last year, but just given more opportunity to shine and pick effective and varied passes rather than watching the ball fly past them, or just shovelling it out to Richardson to storm forward as they did last season.

why would he? Maya Yoshida has never played in the championship..

He stepped out of one of the worse teams in the Eredivisie and has firmly established himself in the top flight of English football, eclipsing it's second tier. I would expect he has a rather good perspective on this.

Matt Phillips has disappointed me quite a bit.

Was a massive talent while playing at Wycombe. Has done little at Blackpool to progress further.

At 22 he should have been much more developed, but seems like he has found his level. Don't see that many transfer rumors or new potential clubs at a higher level for him. Seems to have fizzed out a bit.

Matt Phillips has disappointed me quite a bit.

Was a massive talent while playing at Wycombe. Has done little at Blackpool to progress further.

At 22 he should have been much more developed, but seems like he has found his level. Don't see that many transfer rumors or new potential clubs at a higher level for him. Seems to have fizzed out a bit.

Not sure.

He looked promising last season for Blackpool, although towards the end of the year was in the shadow of Ince. This season, I get the impression he started it in a massive sulk because he was not allowed to talk to Saints over a move.

Not sure.

He looked promising last season for Blackpool, although towards the end of the year was in the shadow of Ince. This season, I get the impression he started it in a massive sulk because he was not allowed to talk to Saints over a move.

Yeah, their chairmen really hacked him off by not allowing him to move, and then he picked up a nasty injury I think.

Potential is still there IMO. Although I think Ince suits us more. Phillips seems like more of an out & out winger.