Hampshire CCC Season 2014

Weston Saint

The release of Bates feels like a real smack in the chops. No idea what the club is doing...........

They talk about Wheater being a much better batsman. really? He average a whopping 32 this season compared to bates' 26......a whole 6 runs better. And (from what I have seen live on ESPN) he is nowhere close in his wicketkeeping skills.

Add to this bringing in Tahir for 2 games and shunting Briggs out what exactly are hants' plans for the future? And why would Briggs see his future at Hants after the way he is being treated and seen the way Bates has been treated?

And then signing a 32 year old bowler to go with the other 35+ year old bowler we signed earlier this year.

What on earth is going on?

I bet it was a really tough decision for Hants to release Bates, he's probably the best Hampsire wicketkeeper i've seen in my 36 years of watching. But I think if we are not playing himthey are alomst obliged to let him go & have a career elsewhere. Although their batting averages are similiar, Bates will score 25-30 each innings, Wheater will have a touch of genius every so often, and completely change a game in 3 hours. Whether it's the right decision....god knows. The way Briggs has been treated on the other hand is pretty poor in my opinion.

Whilst Bates is probably the best gloves man in England why has no other club come in for him or made an inquiry? Don't blame Hampshire.

Definately not blaming them. I agree he's exceptional. I feel it wouldn't be right to let him have 3/4 games a season, when everyone knows he's got so much talent. My guess is Hampshire know they need at least 4 wins next season to stay up & Wheater can come in when we are 70 for 4 and within 3 hours we can be 200 for 4 , and have started to take the game away from the opposition. I think they were faced with a difficult situation in trying to keep both talented players happy. Why no one has come if for him...well I have no idea...cos I think we all agree he's fantastic behind the stumps.

Bird is a very good signing but less sure on Arafat unless he can qualify as a domestic player for next season. Tymal Mills has turned down a new deal with Essex - don't blame him for not wanting to bowl on the turgid surface there which is more suited to old trundlers like David Masters - so is looking for a new club with pace and bounce. His record isn't great on paper but with the right coaching and a quicker surface he could be a good signing. Trouble is, I suspect Hants have spent their quick bowlers budget now.

Quite a few posters, including Steve, questioned whether Essex might feel aggrieved at Worcs having won most of their games via Ajmal's illegal action. Here's your answer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/29474072

Talking of spinners, Hants need to build some bridges from Danny Briggs. Granted, he's not been quite the same bowler since getting some hammer for England in T20 games but that can happen to anyone. I think he needs to focus on 4 day cricket next year first and foremost. He's not a huge turner of the ball but he can get impressive drift and flight which is enough to get good players out when he's bowling confidently. He needs to focus on taking wickets and attacking when the match situation allows and then the other forms of cricket will gradually become less daunting.