Hampshire CCC Season 2014

Weston Saint

Drat - Ervine out, 310/7. Was hoping for 350 and another batting point, Wood should continue playing his shots. Essex likely to win although scoring slowly. Still, let's see what Glamorgan do on the surface tomorrow. Forecast looks decent for all 4 days at present so anything north of 350 gives the bowlers plenty to work with.

All out 357. Take that. Does mean that we are going to have to win though unless Essex get bowled for under 300. Unlikely given that they are 198/3 with 41 overs left to get 102 runs. Worcs have been an absolute joke today.

They seem determined to bring Essex (with their rice-pudding bowling) up with them. :x

Assuming Essex get 300 or more it looks like one of 2 possibilities: Hants win and finish first, or draw/lose and finish third.

A great recovery today - congratulations to Vince and Ervine. However, we have a long way to go to win this game - hope the weather holds.

Frankly I"d hope the weather doesn't hold but it's the same in Chelmsford as it is in Cardiff anyway (or better in Cardiff than Chelmsford). Can't see Worcester making an effort not to suffer a resounding defeat and I've no real confidence in our bowling..may I be wrong in that this time though. We're in the box seat if both games are substantially affected by bad weather, if not I'd say Essex are more likely to come out on top in this round.

Edit: Still Hants have already taken a wicket this morning and there's a bit of a rain delay at Chelmsford...good start to the day then.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Great start! 2-1

But now their 2nd wicket pair seem to be getting a hold on the game, still at 42/1 it's not the end of the world yet but what we don't need is another Kent ferk up, 29/2 and then they made over 500. Essex have lost a couple of wickets in the last few minutes but as they're 140 or so ahead already it probably just doesn't matter.

But now their 2nd wicket pair seem to be getting a hold on the game, still at 42/1 it's not the end of the world yet but what we don't need is another Kent ferk up, 29/2 and then they made over 500. Essex have lost a couple of wickets in the last few minutes but as they're 140 or so ahead already it probably just doesn't matter.

If Worcestershire can bowl Essex out for less than 300, that means Essex miss out on three batting points, which could be crucial. They'd only be able to get 21 points in the game with a win, meaning we need 12 to go up. We've already got 4 from yesterday, get 9 wickets in 110 overs in this innings and draw the game and it's done :)

If Worcestershire can bowl Essex out for less than 300, that means Essex miss out on three batting points, which could be crucial. They'd only be able to get 21 points in the game with a win, meaning we need 12 to go up. We've already got 4 from yesterday, get 9 wickets in 110 overs in this innings and draw the game and it's done :)

Hopefully that will happen then, anyway we've got the yapi out so that's a very positive thing for Hants. However at the end of the day if Essex do get to 300 we could in theory

miss out on promotion because of the meagre 1 bowling point we obtained against Kent after havng them at 29/2 or something. Still with glam now at 50/3 it might not come down to that.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Okay, with Essex now having accumulated at least 3 batting points, and looking odds on to beat Worcs, only a Hants win against Glamorgan will see us promoted. Chance for a few of our lads to write themselves into Hampshire folk-lore.

Think we need to make sure that we can make them follow on, means getting their last 4 for less than 70 now, surely that can't be that difficult really.

Think we need to make sure that we can make them follow on, means getting their last 4 for less than 70 now, surely that can't be that difficult really.

169/9 now. If we do take this last wicket for less than 38, enforcing the follow on would definitely be the right thing to do imo, or is there any argument for batting again and then bowling fourth?

169/9 now. If we do take this last wicket for less than 38, enforcing the follow on would definitely be the right thing to do imo, or is there any argument for batting again and then bowling fourth?

172 all out at tea. Adams doesn't usually like enforcing the follow on. But maybe he will this time?

This is only day two. You do not put the opposition back in when the lead is not at least 250 - 300. The Glamorgan Wicket deteriorates and you do not want to be batting last. Plenty of time.

What you say makes good sense Weston, but I think the possibility of adverse weather playing some role on the fourth day is making a few of us nervous.

I see the Weather Channel is flagging the chance of rain in Cardiff on Friday at 20 per cent, so I assume Hants are banking on the 80 per cent chance that it won’t rain. Fair odds I suppose.

175 for 3 at the close, lead of 360. Score rapidly in the morning and declare with lead of 450/500 I reckon. I agreed with the decision to bat again, the follow-on can sometimes give a side an opportunity to get back into the game and if Glamorgan had batted well and got a lead of 150/200 it could have been a tricky chase. Glamorgan have included two spinners so they're obviously expecting it to turn a bit later in the game.

Wood said that Hampshire had were in two minds about whether to enforce the follow-on after bowling Glamorgan out for 172, leaving them 185 runs behind.

“With two and a half days remaining and the pitch only going to get worse, we decided to bat again,” he explained.

“There wasn’t much discussion.

“We looked at the weather forecast and what rain there could be on Friday appears minimal, so we thought it was best to grind them down.

“We didn’t want to be left chasing 100 or 150 on the final day on a wearing surface, so we decided to bat on.”

On reflection, I’m just about persuaded that Hants were right not to enforce the follow-on, although I do wonder whether the likes of Ingleby-Mackenzie, Nicholas and Warne would have adopted the same approach. Still, captaincy, strategies, game-plans, opinions – these are just some of the things that make cricket so absorbing.

Frustratingly, I’m travelling for much of the day, so will struggle to keep up with events. Five hundred lead by lunch, skittle Glamorgan out by close of play, celebrate in the sunshine, or the rain, tomorrow – that would be my strategy from here on in, FWIW.

Let's do it Hampshire. :)

On reflection, I’m just about persuaded that Hants were right not to enforce the follow-on, although I do wonder whether the likes of Ingleby-Mackenzie, Nicholas and Warne would have adopted the same approach. Still, captaincy, strategies, game-plans, opinions – these are just some of the things that make cricket so absorbing.

Frustratingly, I’m travelling for much of the day, so will struggle to keep up with events. Five hundred lead by lunch, skittle Glamorgan out by close of play, celebrate in the sunshine, or the rain, tomorrow – that would be my strategy from here on in, FWIW.

Let's do it Hampshire. :)

Was definitely the right decision. If we'd put them back in there was every chance they'd fair much better, on what was only a 2nd day pitch and then leave us with a tricky chase on day 3/4 on a raging turner. Had the potential to be disastrous. With a long time left to still bowl them out, it was a bit of a no brainer for me

Five hundred lead by lunch, skittle Glamorgan out by close of play, celebrate in the sunshine, or the rain, tomorrow – that would be my strategy from here on in, FWIW.

Given the potential for rain, however much Wood plays it down, I'm sure the thought will be there to get them back in as soon as possible.

500 by lunch seems feasible, as long as we don't lose any cheap wickets early on.

Not sure we really need 500, though of course that would be the safest bet. With the pitch changing / Tahir to come good / their poor first innings performance, all combined with the risk of rain tomorrow, I would settle for 450

Edited by Bucks Saint
still drunk from tues night

Warne would certainly of batted. It was the Aussies of his era that started the practise of not following-on. As for the others, they played in 3 day matches, so there wasn't the time left, so sticking the oppo back in was their only option.