Hampshire CCC Season 2014

Weston Saint

The Worcs vs Surrey game is interesting. My concern is how the weather might be next week and the week after. Would 2 draws get us up?!

Rain is our friend. A washout for one of Hants' games, as well as one of Essex's and Surrey's, and we'd be home and dry.

Well, home and wet actually.

Kent 198 all out against Essex's rice-pudding attack.

As Windows said, they've prepared a slow seaming wicket for day 1 and prayed that they won the toss and put Kent in. That would suit Essex's slow-medium attack, particularly David Masters who is hard to get away but no batsman worth their salt in the 4 day format should be getting out to him unless it's really doing plenty. Kent's top order has been flaky for a while although Billings as the wicketkeeper-bat looks useful. Northeast has scored runs but Rankin sorted him out recently in the One Day semi so he struggles against proper fast-medium bowling.

Surrey have got off to a flyer v Worcs, Adams was right to be targeting over-taking Worcs although hope Worcs can restrict them with the weather set fair.

Buck has signed for Lancs, pity, as I posted earlier he'd have been ideal for Hamps.

With the Saeed Ajmal news over the last couple of days, I wonder whether Worcestershire would be anywhere near promotion without him bowling his now-proven-illegal action?

His record for them in first class games is incredible, they won 5 of the 9 games he played in, drawing the other 4, and he took 63 wickets at a frankly insane average of 16.31. We could have had promotion wrapped up already had his action been tested sooner.

With the Saeed Ajmal news over the last couple of days, I wonder whether Worcestershire would be anywhere near promotion without him bowling his now-proven-illegal action?

His record for them in first class games is incredible, they won 5 of the 9 games he played in, drawing the other 4, and he took 63 wickets at a frankly insane average of 16.31. We could have had promotion wrapped up already had his action been tested sooner.

Good question indeed - the sides that finish 3rd and 4th won't be happy although Worcs hired him in good faith so probably no comeback on them. Can't see Pakistan doing much at the WC without him though.

It looks like Essex are bound to beat Kent - the Worcester v Surrey looks like it could go either way.

Yep, Essex need 21 to win so that's a given. That'll give them 22 points. I'd be fairly sure that Surrey will win their game too with worcs 120 odd behind on first innings. Unless words dig very deep, then that'll be a full 24 points for surrey meaning hants still have a bit of work to do yet to get over the line. Still, beat a pretty average kent side at home next week and we'll be up

And Essex duly win inside 3 overs.

That's Kent now mathematically out of the running, so I guess we could see them make a few changes to their team when they head to the Rose Bowl next week. I'd fancy us to beat them anyway, but if they're chucking a couple of rookies in place of some experienced players as well, that's a bonus :D

They'd still be 20 points behind Worcestershire, so would need to win well and hope Worcestershire get smashed in their last game.

Looking at the final few fixtures, Worcs are playing Essex last game, so if Worcs did get thrashed then it would be Essex who'd go up in their place (provided Essex had already beaten a woeful Leics in their penultimate game). Surrey chances basically hinge on Essex failing to beat Leics. If Essex win then it's more than likely that one of Worcs and Essex will gain enough points from

Their final meeting to ensure they finish above surrey.

Worcs making a late fist of this here too.

Worcs making a late fist of this here too.

Yeah, a couple of hours of play has turned this game from "formality" to "tricky chase". Jack Shantry has his maiden century (previous best of 55 in 56 matches), and Worcestershire put on 179 for the 8th and 9th wicket. 216 ahead with the last man in.

Edit: 217 to win, last man out, leaving Shantry stranded on 101.

Surrey are doing their best to **** this one up :lol:

112/2 at lunch, needing only 105 to win, they're now 164/7. If they were to lose, it would mean they cannot be promoted, as they'd be 24 points behind us but with two fewer wins, and Worcestershire would have promotion confirmed.

And Surrey lose :lol:

Buggers up our title hopes, but still, it's now between us and Essex for second place. We have a 22-point advantage with two games to play. The title's not completely out of the question, but we'd probably have to win both games now. With the weather forecast for next week, that seems highly unlikely.

County Championship Division 2

[TABLE=class: tbl enable-sort, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TH=class: asc, align: center]#sui.gif[/TH]

[TH=class: ixt high]Countysui.gif[/TH]

[TH=class: div, align: center]Psui.gif[/TH]

[TH=align: center]Wsui.gif[/TH]

[TH=align: center]Lsui.gif[/TH]

[TH=align: center]Dsui.gif[/TH]

[TH=align: center]Batsui.gif[/TH]

[TH=align: center]Bowlsui.gif[/TH]

[TH=align: center]Dedssui.gif[/TH]

[TH=class: div, align: center]Ptssui.gif[/TH]

[TH=class: mobile-hdn nosort, align: center][/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=class: even]

[TD=align: center]1[/TD]

[TD=class: ixt div]Worcestershire[/TD]

[TD=class: div, align: center]15[/TD]

[TD=align: center]8[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5[/TD]

[TD=align: center]37[/TD]

[TD=class: mobile-hdn, align: center]45[/TD]

[TD=class: div mobile-hdn, align: center]0[/TD]

[TD=class: div, align: center]235[/TD]

[TD=align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: odd]

[TD=class: ixt div]Hampshire[/TD]

[TD=class: div, align: center]14[/TD]

[TD=align: center]6[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1[/TD]

[TD=align: center]7[/TD]

[TD=align: center]42[/TD]

[TD=class: mobile-hdn, align: center]34[/TD]

[TD=class: div, align: center]207[/TD]

[TD=align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: even]

[TD=align: center]3[/TD]

[TD=class: ixt div]Essex[/TD]

[TD=class: div, align: center]14[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5[/TD]

[TD=align: center]7[/TD]

[TD=align: center]31[/TD]

[TD=class: mobile-hdn, align: center]39[/TD]

[TD=class: div, align: center]185[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Essex play Leicestershire (bottom) and Worcester. We play Kent and Glamorgan. Worcester already promoted so nothing to play for. We need 27 points from last 2 games so one win should do it. If weather interveins it will likely affect Essex as much as us although we have lost more hours to rain this season than any other county!

If Essex win against Leicestershire (probable) and against Worcs (possible, they've got nothing to play for) Hants may need one more win.

Thought 2 maximum point (ie 13 each time) would be enough, could be wrong by a point though. Anyway Kent making a big score is the worst possible way to start these vital 2 games.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Why did Briggs get dropped? It seems very odd to me.

Who knows, anyway with Kent now past 300 for the loss of only 3 it's turning into a disaster scenario, only bright point...raining at Leicester... long may it continue.. As Bobby Vee said it might as well rain until October (well September actually)

Edited by Window Cleaner

Thought 2 maximum point (ie 13 each time) would be enough, could be wrong by a point though. Anyway Kent making a big score is the worst possible way to start these vital 2 games.

If Essex get 48 points Hants need 27 (Essex win the tie-breaker, total wins, if Hants get 26).

At least the 6 maximum bowling points are easy to get.

Oh ....

Edited by Dark Munster
Realised only 5 points for a draw, not 8

Call me optimistic, but you can never fully judge a match from just the first side's batting. I have not got any info on what the pitch is like, but it could well be utterly lifeless and so we could just as easily pile up a big score

Got it in one. ball not swinging either. It could have been worse, but we kept it really tight (under 3 an over for most of the day) and fielded well. Imran was a bit rusty to start with and then picked up a warning for running on the pitch, However, by the close he was back to his usual self and even they weren't picking him at times.

Bell-Drummond was pretty dour and edgy, but Northeast looked class.

We could slump here - they're 201 for3 now and could easily make 450. Our bowling is very lack-lustre.

As I take it you weren't there, comments like that pi ss me off. Are you related to Alpine?

Got it in one. ball not swinging either. It could have been worse, but we kept it really tight (under 3 an over for most of the day) and fielded well. Imran was a bit rusty to start with and then picked up a warning for running on the pitch, However, by the close he was back to his usual self and even they weren't picking him at times.

As I take it you weren't there, comments like that pi ss me off. Are you related to Alpine?

Agree with you. Pitch was lifeless and I am not sure bowlers could have done better.

Tahir is worrying. Received two warnings. One more and he cannot bowl for the rest of the innings. He keeps landing his left foot on the pitch after he has released the ball. It is a problem he had last time he was here. Meant he had to bowl round the wicket and was less effective. Came back over late on but very close to getting his marching orders.

I was listening to it live all day on the internet. Presumably the comments of the 3/4 commentators on there are as valid as yours??

Why did Briggs get dropped? It seems very odd to me.

Presumably he is out to make room for Tahir. Do fans think it a good idea to bring in an outsider for a couple of games, strikes me as a blow for the guy who has played all season, got us to the promotion spot only to be axed. Wont surprise me if it has a bad affect on the team ethic

Presumably he is out to make room for Tahir. Do fans think it a good idea to bring in an outsider for a couple of games, strikes me as a blow for the guy who has played all season, got us to the promotion spot only to be axed. Wont surprise me if it has a bad affect on the team ethic

Seemed odd to drop Briggs (Weston to thread, give us the lowdown on that decision) i'm still confident. Barring a disaster in this game it's gonna be in our hands. We've got Glamorgan, Essex have got Worcester, we are going up.

I like Tahir – I especially like his crazy celebrations, although in light of recent events perhaps he should drop the badge-thumping. I’m not privy to the reasons behind his selection ahead of Briggs, but from a distance I agree it does seem a little unfair on Danny.

By the way, I was expecting Terry to be drafted in as Carbs’s replacement – is Terry injured?

I like Tahir – I especially like his crazy celebrations, although in light of recent events perhaps he should drop the badge-thumping. I’m not privy to the reasons behind his selection ahead of Briggs, but from a distance I agree it does seem a little unfair on Danny.

By the way, I was expecting Terry to be drafted in as Carbs’s replacement – is Terry injured?

No. He was 12th man. Alsop scored a ton last week for the 2ndX1 as well as another for England U19s the week before.

Need to bat pretty well here, no chance of a win at this stage but we need to be looking at the 400 runs inside 110 overs target to secure both a draw and maximum batting points.

That'll leave us on 221 points heading to Cardiff. Essex are going to be on 207 when they beat Leicestershire, a defeat for us (if bowled out for under 200) could leave us just one point ahead :uhoh: