Arsenal a - Lost - Lost - 0

Chelsea a - Drew - Lost - -1

Villa h - Won - Lost - -3

Man City h - Won - Drew - -2

Newcastle a - Lost - Drew - +1

Spurs h - Lost - Lost - 0

Cardiff/Wigan a - Drew - Won - +2

Everton a - Lost - Lost - 0

Puts us 11 better off compared to the same fixture last season. Not really trying to make a point, thought it was mildly interesting.

I've done a few back of an envelope calculations, based roughly on how many points we would expect to take from the top four, four to eight and ten to twenty, and if all goes well we should finish on fifty five to sixty points as a realistic target. Based on the thinness of our squad and the inexperience of our young stars, I will be highly satisfied with seventh, eighth or ninth this season, and it looks as if we are on course to realise that target, assuming no disasters.

Most interesting thing for me is that we haven't lost to a team that we beat last year. You'd have thought that one team would have got the hang of us or changed manager or something so that they could turn it around. Suggests we haven't taken a step backwards in any department?

Most interesting thing for me is that we haven't lost to a team that we beat last year. You'd have thought that one team would have got the hang of us or changed manager or something so that they could turn it around. Suggests we haven't taken a step backwards in any department?

But we have? We lost to Aston Villa at home this month despite doing the double over them last season. If anything, they'd arguably changed their tactics against us by solely employing counter attacking football instead of actually trying to 'play us at our own game'. In other words, they did get the hang of us.

Though that doesn't mean that we've taken a step back. It's really a reflection upon our impressive home record this season (or at least how it was when they played us in early December), the progressive style of football we play (it's very difficult to play against us in the conventional sense i.e. Spurs, Liverpool), and the regard with which lower teams hold us.

But we have? We lost to Aston Villa at home this month despite doing the double over them last season. If anything, they'd arguably changed their tactics against us by solely employing counter attacking football instead of actually trying to 'play us at our own game'. In other words, they did get the hang of us.

Though that doesn't mean that we've taken a step back. It's really a reflection upon our impressive home record this season (or at least how it was when they played us in early December), the progressive style of football we play (it's very difficult to play against us in the conventional sense i.e. Spurs, Liverpool), and the regard with which lower teams hold us.

Villa play that way against everyone, home and away. They got very very lucky against us.

bit of caution we have played very few of the sides above us at home yet' date=' still think target is to get to 40 points as soon as possible[/quote']

Agreed. safety first. People are getting carried away. I think we will finish around 14th and have a brief flirtation with relegation group.

Villa play that way against everyone, home and away. They got very very lucky against us.

Except for the Southampton game, I haven't seen them play this season so can't account for present playing style. But I did see them at Villa Park last season, and they certainly weren't counter attacking then - which was what my post was referring to - the fact that the team had in fact learned it's lesson from last season when playing the Saints.

Watched Villa against Fulham and Man Utd on Sky recently, complete gash in both games. We could replay that fixture another 10 times with exactly the same team and win 9 of them. Just unlucky I guess.

I can't see us improving by another 11 points in the remaining fixtures. We will need to get 7 points from the games against Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal just to match last season's results. On the other hand we have the chance to avenge some crap results from last year, like West Ham away and West Brom at home, where we got spanked last season.