God the people on this forum are ridiculous...

Dibden Purlieu Saint

Short of money, facing administration, people made redundant, 75 mile coach trip, didn't make sense. That's why we have "world class facilities" at Staplewood. Certainly not hindsight, I thought it was a daft waste of money.

May very well have been a daft waste of money.... But would it be being critisized (sp) if we'd won and won well?

I think you're doing Rupert a disservice with your statement.

But IMHO you're wrong. There will always be capable and willing candidates out there. Southampton FC is a famous brand and would be a good catch for any up and coming football league CEO/MD.

Or the ruiner of a growing reputation as a CEO/MD if they were unable to avoid the risk of administration....

Or the ruiner of a growing reputation as a CEO/MD if they were unable to avoid the risk of administration....

'When Sir John Harvey-Jones took over in 1982, ICI was ailing and making huge losses, but in less than five years he turned it into a successful business, and in 1984 it became the first British company to post more than £1 billion in full-year pre-tax profits'.

Next!

But IMHO you're wrong. There will always be capable and willing candidates out there. Southampton FC is a famous brand and would be a good catch for any up and coming football league CEO/MD.

I hope for our sake that you are right!!

Of course, when we will be in a position to appoint a new CEO/MD is another matter requiring Lowe to vacate the chair.

'When Sir John Harvey-Jones took over in 1982, ICI was ailing and making huge losses, but in less than five years he turned it into a successful business, and in 1984 it became the first British company to post more than £1 billion in full-year pre-tax profits'.

Next!

Achieved by cutting non-profit making parts of the business and cutting the workforce by a third to dramatically reduce costs.... Not sure we have any profit-making parts to retain or that we could realistically cut the workforce by a third...

I can only speak for myself (wish others would try this) but i for one had no thoughts of "just avoiding relegation" for this season under Pearson and Crouch. As i've said before, i felt there was a genuine feeling of unity and positivity for this year under pearson. I did however change my mind and was filled with negativity as soon as Lowe came back and appointed Portaloo!

With you on this one all the way.

Pearson's end of season performance wasn't exceptional, but considering what he inherited he did a pretty good job.

I thought he instilled some pride, spirit and unity in the Club and was expecting us to push on this season with him at the helm (even if we had to restructure in the summer). I was really positive until the dark shadow of Lowe reappeared over the Club.

I didn't go on the pitch last season as I found it hard to celebrate the fact that we just avoided relegation (I was relieved though), so forgive me if I'm not overjoyed at the halfway point of this season, particularly when I fear the situation will get worse.

Threads like this are well and good but when your club is..

Facing administration

Winning one game at home by Christmas

4th from bottom of the Championship

Made up from youth team players and loanees

Have a manager with no English experience what so ever

Have two chairmen who are probably two of the most disliked people ever to be associated with the club

Have no visible way out of the quagmire that is Championship football

at what stage do we stop being miserable and pessimistic? At what point are we allowed to feel in any way shape or form, optimistic about this club?

It just seems to me that there are far too many people on here moaning about negative fans than actually looking at why this club is faltering and failing. "It's down to poor attendances, it's down to whinging fans..."

No it's not..

It's down to:

A chairman that thought he could run the club on the cheap and whose meddling and interfering were major factors in our getting relegated

Another chairman who created chaos by usurping the above chairman when he didn't have a plan A let alone a plan B and spent most of his time avoiding tax in Jersey

A manager in Redknapp who just didn't care

A manager in Burley who just couldn't cope

and a manger in Poortvliet who has no experience in English football and just doesn't know how to grind out results in this tough, mean league..

It's not down to fans being negative or staying away from St marys, They're the symptom. There are people on here who seem to think the symptom's more important than the cause.

No wonder we're in such disarray...

You mean like Fergusson, Wenger, Mourinho, Scolari, Benitez....

Pearson didn't have the team playing great football, but he did what was needed - kept us up. He got the best out of old has-beens such as Idiakez, who is now trying to win a contract at Bournemouth FFS and you could feel the passion in the team.

The team on the last day when we won against Sheff Utd was

Richard Wright; You can't really say keeper has been the weak link this season - was brought in when KD got injured

Jermaine Wright, I would even rather have James than him at RB

Powell, Also can't get a contract nowand not sad he left, but would have signed Lucketti

Perry, Was signed thankfully

Surman; Still here and has been one of the better players in midfield - here had to play out of position at LB, as he did earlier this season

Viafara, Did not have a great season last year and was not the presence of the season before. I'd rather have Cork

Safri, Better than Schneiderlin? Steady, but often criticised

Idiakez (Licka, 79), as mentioned earlier, would you have either of these in the team now.

Euell; Still here and occasionally on the pitch, but not performing as well as he did under Pearson

Saganowski (Lallana, 73), Would definitely prefer him to McG or any of the strikers

John. Ditto

Apart from strikers, I don't think the players Jan has now are that much worse, but the team does often look clueless. That has to be down to the coach.

At the beginning of the season, and even when Pearson was here, it was a widely held belief that with our financial issues we would be happy to stay up this year. Now call me a stickler for facts, but I seem to believe that if the season ended now we would stay up. Maybe I'm wrong...

It seems after yesterdays game people have completely over-reacted. We lost to Burnley, who are a very good championship side, located a long way from Southampton. I think people still reckon we should be challenging. People need to realise that we are currently a low end Championship side. That's it. And considering the players that we're having to play I think we're actually not doing too shabbily.

People are always looking to blame someone. We do live in a blame society. Something goes wrong, someone is to blame. Things happen in cycles (look at Global warming).

All I really have to say on the matter is: -

Get over it, ffs. Support your club.

(Cue loads of people blaming Lowe for everything, yawn.)

Ps. I don't want him here, but he's our best option.

If you'd been at Burnley and seen how bad we were 1st half then you'd fully understand why some of us feel that the kids are out of their depth, as is the manager (nice guy that he is) and that the decision to ship out our "decent" strikers and stick with DM and Lowe's bullsh it of "youth" and "total football" will get us relegated.

****tards with their head in the sand allow Lowe to continue his reign.

I completely agree with your sentiment on this one and was going to post something similar myself. The way I see it, our two objectives for this season were to avoid administration and avoid relegation. Neither of these can be judged until the end of the season but as you rightly say if the season ended now we would have achieved both.

What I find frustrating though (and no doubt others do to) is that whilst we can play utter shyte in the first half of a match we can completely turn it around in the second. If we played somewhere near our best for a full 90 minutes, we would be considerably higher up the league than we are now. Admittedly, every team's entitled to an 'off-day' but the only thing consistent about us, is our inconsistency!

Neil.

Problem is the season doesn't end now, we have 23 more to go. On current form we are 22nd, in the relegation zone. That is not meeting our objectives. If the club wanted someone to come in and lose 50% of the games at the half way point why did they need to employ like 8 dutch people to do it? They could of got me and my mates to do it for free.

So people can try and find any excuse you like to defend it but we have now got a mountain to climb. We lose 2-3 of the players who are actually tryin = even harder. If things remain as they are in terms of losing 11 of 23, winning 1 game in 8 and winning 1 home game in 11 = relegation, no doubt about it. Were already relying on last years division 1 teams having worse scores then us. That is where we are at.

Achieved by cutting non-profit making parts of the business and cutting the workforce by a third to dramatically reduce costs.... Not sure we have any profit-making parts to retain or that we could realistically cut the workforce by a third...
I think he did a bit more than that to be fair.

My point is that there are still many management options available that don't involve Rupert. Let's be honest Rupert hardly set the business world alight over the last two years. Rupert needs Saints more than Saints need Rupert. His CV is p*ss poor for someone who some claim to be our saviour. Remind me, how many top PLC/company directorships has he had or got?

Edited by Delmary

I think he did a bit more than that to be fair.

My point is that there are still many management options available that don't involve Rupert. Let's be honest Rupert hardly set the business world alight over the last two years. Rupert needs Saints more than Saint need Rupert. His CV is p*ss poor for someone who some claim to be our saviour. Remind me, how many top PLC/company directorships has he had or got?

Agree completey... However, I don't believe our stock is anywhere near high enough to attract a CEO any better.... It's not a question of Lowe being the best option... More of him being the only option prepared to do the job in the current situation.... And just remember what the anyone but Lowe campaign brought us last time!!

Problem is the season doesn't end now, we have 23 more to go. On current form we are 22nd, in the relegation zone. That is not meeting our objectives. If the club wanted someone to come in and lose 50% of the games at the half way point why did they need to employ like 8 dutch people to do it? They could of got me and my mates to do it for free.

So people can try and find any excuse you like to defend it but we have now got a mountain to climb. We lose 2-3 of the players who are actually tryin = even harder. If things remain as they are in terms of losing 11 of 23, winning 1 game in 8 and winning 1 home game in 11 = relegation, no doubt about it. Were already relying on last years division 1 teams having worse scores then us. That is where we are at.

On current form, we've lost our last two. But the season isn't measured like that, although some who think we'll win the league after winning one game may argue!! So far (before Charlton play) we are 4 points above the relegation zone, that's the measure that counts.

Do you really think that Lowe wants us to lose 50% of our games?? No disrespect to you or your mates, but I'm sure we'd lose nearer 90% with you in charge, the same as if I or anyone else off the street was in charge.

We only rely on others doing worse that us when the situation is out of our control, like the last day of last season. So far, we have a better record than 3 other teams in this league - but it only really counts for anything at the end of the season.

On current form, we've lost our last two. But the season isn't measured like that, although some who think we'll win the league after winning one game may argue!! So far (before Charlton play) we are 4 points above the relegation zone, that's the measure that counts.

Do you really think that Lowe wants us to lose 50% of our games?? No disrespect to you or your mates, but I'm sure we'd lose nearer 90% with you in charge, the same as if I or anyone else off the street was in charge.

We only rely on others doing worse that us when the situation is out of our control, like the last day of last season. So far, we have a better record than 3 other teams in this league - but it only really counts for anything at the end of the season.

But it is based like that. If you look at the form guide your see teams like Forest and Doncaster are not in the drop zone. They are gaining points. We have gained 3 from our last 15. So for those things to change means we need to win games. The problem is we are not winning games. We have won only once in 8 games. It is just a matter of time before we will be in the drop zone continuing in the way we are. We have only won 5 all year. If we adopt the "there is always next week" attitude we will just run out of games. The results are in our own hands and we need to start getting them. We lost our last 2 games but still remain in the same place because those below us are not taking advantage of it. However we could find ourselves in the drop zone next saturday if Charlton win today. That would then kill this "if the season stopped now" debate wouldnt it.

At the beginning of the season, and even when Pearson was here, it was a widely held belief that with our financial issues we would be happy to stay up this year. Now call me a stickler for facts, but I seem to believe that if the season ended now we would stay up. Maybe I'm wrong...

It seems after yesterdays game people have completely over-reacted. We lost to Burnley, who are a very good championship side, located a long way from Southampton. I think people still reckon we should be challenging. People need to realise that we are currently a low end Championship side. That's it. And considering the players that we're having to play I think we're actually not doing too shabbily.

People are always looking to blame someone. We do live in a blame society. Something goes wrong, someone is to blame. Things happen in cycles (look at Global warming).

Your last 5 words undermine everything you said before

St Marco, statistics can say anything you want them to - the one that says everything is the league table.

There are a lot of if's in your last post, and I could come back with a lot of if's as well. If we went on a 5 match winning streak.... etc.

Right now, Lowe is running the club, find a viable alternative (that preferably doesn't involve Wilde, Crouch, Askham or any of the other muppets who have made a mess out of trying to run the club before) and I will back them 100%.

Until then we are stuck with Lowe (and yes - I want him out as well).

What he meant was - he is our only option.

When someone else can come up with the cash and ideas, I'm all ears.

Rewind a few months and ask yourself the question,

Did Lowe come with any cash and what were his ideas?

How did he measure up against the criteria you are now setting for a replacement?

The idea that Lowe is the only one who:

a) wants the job,

or

b) could do the job,

or

c) we could afford

is/was risible.

Edited by um pahars

How did he measure up against the criteria you are now setting for a replacement?

a) wants the job,

or

b) could do the job,

or

c) we could afford

is risible.

FFS - if you want to change him, be my guest. But you seem to put every ounce of effort you have into this forum.

My point is - what do you want ME TO DO ABOUT IT??

Is that so hard to fathom for all the people who want him gone??

Do something. And stop bloody moaning about him!!!!!

a) wants the job,

or

b) could do the job,

or

c) we could afford

is risible.

Um, you forgot d) is available

but you also made the mistake of using or instead of and - it should read that we want someone who

a) wants the job,

and

b) could do the job,

and

c) we could afford

and

d) is available

I will happily support any suggestions because I want Lowe and his cronies out as much as the next man. The point is we are stuck with Lowe until a genuine candidate comes along.

I will happily support any suggestions because I want Lowe and his cronies out as much as the next man. The point is we are stuck with Lowe until a genuine candidate comes along.

I totally concede that we are stuck with Lowe until one of the major shareholders in his cabal has a change of heart.

I think it should be a case of going out and getting the right man, but it appears that the 42% gang think they already have their man, which is arguably all that matters!!!!!!

St Marco, statistics can say anything you want them to - the one that says everything is the league table.

There are a lot of if's in your last post, and I could come back with a lot of if's as well. If we went on a 5 match winning streak.... etc.

Right now, Lowe is running the club, find a viable alternative (that preferably doesn't involve Wilde, Crouch, Askham or any of the other muppets who have made a mess out of trying to run the club before) and I will back them 100%.

Until then we are stuck with Lowe (and yes - I want him out as well).

Sorry but my post is based on the fact we have 23 games to go. Yours is based on IF the season ended now. It won't end now so thus we have to look at the form book to get a idea of how were do. If we remain the same and others start going on runs as they are (Forest lost once in 9 games for eg) then we WILL be in the relegation zone there is no doubt about it. As i said we have 23 games to go and we must start winning games and putting points on the board. If we get 22 points from 23 games for the 2nd half of the season we will be down for sure. Last year we would of finished 2nd last with that, 2nd last season before that and the year before that. Meaning there is a pattern there. For us to just equal our 1st half of the season record we must win 5 games. When we have won only once in 8 where will the additional wins needed come from? So if we win 5 of the 23 = down. We need to win probably 10 of the 23 to gurantee survival. That means we need to win probably 50% of our remaining games. When you have under 20% win ratio that shows the actual mountain we need to climb. So as i said in my orgional post we have to start winning games and winning games now. We have to change our form now because we will just run out of games.

Unfortunately the whole premise of your post is based on fiction not fact. The season does not end here, we have another half season to go. We could of course have another half season where the results end up exactly the same, the likelihood of that is remote to say the least. History and form, and informed opinion would suggest that at least one of the Clubs in the bottom three will improve sufficiently over the second half of the season to escape the drop. It has been clear in the last few games that Forest and Doncaster are both showing signs of improvement. However, Charlton are the most likely to escape, bearing in mind that they do at least still have parachute payments to help them in the January transfer window. Of course, you can argue quite legitimately that Saints can also improve. I agree. But it is unlikely while we still have JP in charge, since he has shown no signs yet of understanding what it takes to regularly win games in this division, or even win at all (almost) at home. Nice bloke, completely out of his depth. As well as that, we are almost guaranteed to lose at least one of our better players in January for financial reasons, and in addition most of our loans come to an end. There is a way for our situation to be changed, but it requires Lowe to accept that he has made a mistake in his appointment of JP and his much-hailed experiment. Past experience suggests that hell will freeze over before Lowe admits he was wrong. There you have the nub of the problem, we could improve even with th existing players given a proper manager, but we will not while Lowe is around, and Lowe is not about to walk out. hence the negativity. At least one of Charlton, Forest or Donny will not be relegated this season, I will almost guarantee.

On the other point that you made, "Lowe is our best option", how so? Why do you imagine that the people who are almost entirely responsible for our financial mess, namely Wilde and Lowe, are the best options to get us out of this mess? In any other walk of life, you do not entrust a rescue to the same people who caused the problem in the first place. We had a better option, namely Lee Hoos with the backing of Leon Crouch. This team had already put in place some of the financial changes that Lowe now claims were his ideas (closing the corners, reducing transport costs, loaning out high earners Rasiak and Skacel). They had also put in place a young British manager, much respected in this country (by football people) for his abilities to work with young players together with a dollop of experience and no money. The pair of them (Hoos and Pearson) seem to be doing quite well at Leicester so far, despite everone thinking that Mad Milan would have sacked them by now, after all with your thinking if the season ended now they would be champions of League One and be guaranteed to be playing in the CCC next season, which is more than canbe said for Saints. So please don't trot out this continued nonsense that Lowe is the best option. It is clear that if Wilde had a spine and could have buried the hatchet with Crouch for the good of the club, as he has done with Lowe, that Crouch and Hoos could have been backed by Wilde and, with the backing of the bank which they had, would probably have had us slightly higher in the League than the curent regime has managed with basically the same players, the difference being that NP would get more out of the current squad than JP is able to do so.

Notts f -Donc, both won 1 game in last 6, with same current form (6 points/6 games) as us.

Notts f -Donc, both won 1 game in last 6, with same current form (6 points/6 games) as us.

The stats site I use (Football 365) has current form over the last 8 games.

On that one, Saints are ranked 22nd, with Donny and Forest at 15th and 16th respectively (Norwich are 18th and barnsley 19th).

Charlton are bottom, with Derby at 23rd and being sucked in, which makes tomorrows game interesting!!!!!!!

Watford who were in the mire a few weeks back are 10th, so it shows a string of results can lift you out of trouble. However, will we put that run together or will it be one of our rivals????

My worry is that although I think Donny and Forest will stay down this end of the table, two of our rivals, in Derby and Charlton, do have the parachute money which could be useful come January, whereas we are only likely to get weaker.

To survive, I think we need a Barnsley, Norwich or Blackpool to get sucked back in.

The likes of DP are the same as the happy clappy liberals who have ruined this country over the last 40 years.

They wear their reasonableness as a badge of honour.

Chamberlain was the same and his reasonableness cost millions of lives.

I'd love to know how many lives were saved by those sat at home criticising the war effort...

no...if current form for all continues we will go down

After 23 games we arer fourth bottom. Seriously, is the water around St Marys what it used to be? Or is this a reflection on the Blair years...

You can quote me 6 game or 8 game form. But as a form student, I can tell you 23 games is the best judgement since it includes EVERY other team in the league.

After 23 games we arer fourth bottom. Seriously, is the water around St Marys what it used to be? Or is this a reflection on the Blair years...

You can quote me 6 game or 8 game form. But as a form student, I can tell you 23 games is the best judgement since it includes EVERY other team in the league.

and if 6 game current form continued we would be safe by 4 points!

and if 6 game current form continued we would be safe by 4 points!

And if the 8 game form continues then we will be down with Charlton and Derby;).

However, I think the best form guide will be over 46 games, but as that involves 23 games not yet played, then people are entitled to hypothesise.

My main concern is that a few of the teams might well get stronger as a result of the January window, whereas I fear we will get weaker.

And if the 8 game form continues then we will be down with Charlton and Derby;).

However, I think the best form guide will be over 46 games, but as that involves 23 games not yet played, then people are entitled to hypothesise.

My main concern is that a few of the teams might well get stronger as a result of the January window, whereas I fear we will get weaker.

I can tell you that Watford's finances are well and truly screwed and that my Charlton supporting mates are extremely fearful that their finances are also up the spout - none of them can believe they sold Varney for £1.5m - and they consider this a guide of their real plight.

I have no idea about Forest and Doncaster.

Now call me a stickler for facts, but I seem to believe that if the season ended now we would stay up. Maybe I'm wrong...

the problem is the season doesnt end now! we are only halfway through,ok things could get better but they could also get a lot worse.......believe me,i wish the season could have ended saturday and we were safe but it hasnt and we have to plod on hopefully gaining enough points to be safe before the end of the season preferably,if not safe when its all over..

No, if all bottom four teams continue in the same form, we will be safe.

Does anyone on this forum have a GCSE in maths to their name?

We have to get worse and/or they have to get better.

No they have a current higher points per game ratio over the past 8 games then we do meaning if they continue on their current % will overtake us if things remain as they are. We are currently in 22nd place form wise that is in the relegation zone form. The thing is this whole "season ends now" defence relies on one thing and that is being out of the relegation zone. If Charlton win tommorow and then win on saturday and we lose/draw we will be in the relegation zone. Meaning again we have to win our own games and not look at other results. If we win on saturday could mean we go 7 points clear of the zone. Or if we lose could mean we go 1 point adrift 4th to bottom place but 6 points adrift from 5th to bottom place. A gap from the bottom 4 to the rest will already be 2 wins. Again this is why our results have to change. After Forest we have Plymouth away and then Reading at home. 2 very tough games. If we fail to get 4 points from those 9 i think we can safely say we will be in the relegation zone.

Here is the table for the last 8 games

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D1/oform.html

Doncaster and Forest are 15th 16th indicating they are progressing while were 2nd to bottom with a superb points per game % of 0.75...

If the final 23 games are played at the current points per game we are down and that is fact.

Edited by St Marco

Yet another thread highlighting the division and negative feeling of the fanbase caused by the cancerous presence of Lowe and Wilde.

Are you sure that the 'cancer' isn't the 'supporters' who feel that they can best serve the club by continuously posting anti-Saints propaganda on here?

No they have a current higher points per game ratio over the past 8 games then we do meaning if they continue on their current % will overtake us if things remain as they are. We are currently in 22nd place form wise that is in the relegation zone form. The thing is this whole "season ends now" defence relies on one thing and that is being out of the relegation zone. If Charlton win tommorow and then win on saturday and we lose/draw we will be in the relegation zone. Meaning again we have to win our own games and not look at other results. If we win on saturday could mean we go 7 points clear of the zone. Or if we lose could mean we go 1 point adrift 4th to bottom place but 6 points adrift from 5th to bottom place. A gap from the bottom 4 to the rest will already be 2 wins. Again this is why our results have to change. After Forest we have Plymouth away and then Reading at home. 2 very tough games. If we fail to get 4 points from those 9 i think we can safely say we will be in the relegation zone.

Read my post mate.

On 23 game form we're safe.

Why are 8 games more reliable than 23?

They're not.

23 games includes every team in the league played home or away.

Look, it ain't saying it's a guarantee off safety just as YOU cannot say it's a gaurantee of relegation. But maths is maths and today we are safe not relegated.

Are you sure that the 'cancer' isn't the 'supporters' who feel that they can best serve the club by continuously posting anti-Saints propaganda on here?

Hating a parasite like Lowe who is only at the club with his mate Cowen to make money for himself is not an anti Saints sentiment. SFC like all sports clubs should be self sustaining, not there to feather the nests of people like Lowe, Cowen, Askham and the rest of the parasites.

Ref Thread Title, if you dont like it here FECK ORF. People have opinions, deal with it.