Employment question - contact with former employees.

pap

A mate of mine was told in his appraisal that he "kept the wrong company" outside of work. Specifically, his boss was referring to a number of former employees that have now left the firm, implying that his job may be at risk if he speaks to any of them.

Is this remotely legal? If not, what options would my mate have to fight it?

A mate of mine was told in his appraisal that he "kept the wrong company" outside of work. Specifically, his boss was referring to a number of former employees that have now left the firm, implying that his job may be at risk if he speaks to any of them.

Is this remotely legal? If not, what options would my mate have to fight it?

As long as he isnt doing anything himself that would potentially be putting his employment at risk then I dont see how his boss can influence his personal life. For instance I have to be drug and drink tested on occasion at work so obviously I need to avoid being under the influence of drink and avoid any drug intake whilst in their employment. Aslong as I turn up to work in a fit state, i.e not half asleep all the time, constantly injured etc and dont bring the companies name into disrepute by being constantly in trouble with the law then I cant see how they can have any influence on my personal life whatsoever.

Id suggest though that maybe your mate should start keeping a work diary or talk to his union rep if he is worried for his longevity in his current position, also if his boss is that much of a cock then you could potentially see his progression being tarnished.

Just how bad are his 'friends' ?

As long as he isnt doing anything himself that would potentially be putting his employment at risk then I dont see how his boss can influence his personal life. For instance I have to be drug and drink tested on occasion at work so obviously I need to avoid being under the influence of drink and avoid any drug intake whilst in their employment. Aslong as I turn up to work in a fit state, i.e not half asleep all the time, constantly injured etc and dont bring the companies name into disrepute by being constantly in trouble with the law then I cant see how they can have any influence on my personal life whatsoever.

Id suggest though that maybe your mate should start keeping a work diary or talk to his union rep if he is worried for his longevity in his current position, also if his boss is that much of a cock then you could potentially see his progression being tarnished.

Just how bad are his 'friends' ?

Cheers, smirking.

Basically, his mates are all former department heads / team leaders that at some point, fell out with a particular individual at the firm and ended up taking their skills elsewhere. Nearly all of them run their own companies, although some have managed to get elevated positions in bigger organisations.

It's the same person laying down the "law" in terms of out-of-work contact.

Cheers, smirking.

Basically, his mates are all former department heads / team leaders that at some point, fell out with a particular individual at the firm and ended up taking their skills elsewhere. Nearly all of them run their own companies, although some have managed to get elevated positions in bigger organisations.

Then its just crap, presumeably the worry is your mate may jump ship to one of the other conpanies or it is a case that the bosses nose is out of joint after a real falling out with the ones that left but realistically I cant see how he can have a leg to stand on if your mates personal life isnt effecting his job.

My line of work is a different environment to yours or any office based politics (thankfully) I got out of the computing game long ago but where I work if I asked my staff to not hang about with certain people I think Id be told where to go.

Unfortunately though, as much as what your boss is doing isnt strictly legal and utterly unenforceable like many work scenarios if your boss wanted to make life v hard then he could do so just make sure your mate watches his back and potentially note down any 'changes' to his work/opportunities incase things get sticky later on.

Then its just crap, presumeably the worry is your mate may jump ship to one of the other conpanies or it is a case that the bosses nose is out of joint after a real falling out with the ones that left but realistically I cant see how he can have a leg to stand on if your mates personal life isnt effecting his job.

My line of work is a different environment to yours or any office based politics (thankfully) I got out of the computing game long ago but where I work if I asked my staff to not hang about with certain people I think Id be told where to go.

Unfortunately though, as much as what your boss is doing isnt strictly legal and utterly unenforceable like many work scenarios if your boss wanted to make life v hard then he could do so just make sure your mate watches his back and potentially note down any 'changes' to his work/opportunities incase things get sticky later on.

The person in question would be termed a boring bastard by anyone with a half-functioning social life; never late, rarely sick and competent at his job. I've already told him he should start looking for employment opportunities elsewhere because I suspect you're right. There is no way that he can ever be sacked for speaking with his mates outside of work, so I think "other avenues" would be explored.

If it were me, I'd wilfully disregard it and see what happened :)

The person in question would be termed a boring bastard by anyone with a half-functioning social life; never late, rarely sick and competent at his job. I've already told him he should start looking for employment opportunities elsewhere because I suspect you're right. There is no way that he can ever be sacked for speaking with his mates outside of work, so I think "other avenues" would be explored.

If it were me, I'd wilfully disregard it and see what happened :)

True, but you find those that are willing to take crap from their boss generally take a disproportional amount of crap with little reward coming back. Im not saying openly rock the boat till it sinks but there is certainly no harm in defending yourself. Contrary to popular belief I believe that a manager is at the same level as me from a social POV, just employed to do a more responsible job, if he shows me no respect he will openly get none back, but thats just me.

True, but you find those that are willing to take crap from their boss generally take a disproportional amount of crap with little reward coming back. Im not saying openly rock the boat till it sinks but there is certainly no harm in defending yourself. Contrary to popular belief I believe that a manager is at the same level as me from a social POV, just employed to do a more responsible job, if he shows me no respect he will openly get none back, but thats just me.

Same here. Got a snidey email from one of my bosses last year. Didn't respond in kind at the time, but when we saw each other in person, I told him that he had "acted like a d*ck" and that I wouldn't put up with it.

I'm extremely lucky. I work in an area of high demand in which many of my fellow suppliers are sh!te. I can afford to see employment as a mutually beneficial arrangement between parties that can be broken off if one end of the agreement becomes less mutual.

People will put up with all kinds of sh!t to put food on the table.

Cheers, smirking.

That would ring alarm bells with me.

When you have the situation when numerous people fall out with the same boss independently, the problem is usually the boss and not all the former department heads/team leaders as individuals, in the individual situations they've had.

I've come across a few bosses that are a complete waste of time to work for, the killer combination is when their terrible at their job and genuinely think they are never wrong.

That would ring alarm bells with me.

When you have the situation when numerous people fall out with the same boss independently, the problem is usually the boss and not all the former department heads/team leaders as individuals, in the individual situations they've had.

I've come across a few bosses that are a complete waste of time to work for, the killer combination is when their terrible at their job and genuinely think they are never wrong.

Good read of the situation, JackFrost. Pretty much precisely how it is. The firm he works for has been pretty static in the director's department for years. The bloke in question benefits from a long association with the higher ups. They turn a blind eye to most of it.

Completely unenforceable and just shows insecure your friends boss is. Employers should spend their time engaging employees rather than worrying about what they so in their spare time.

I can relate, as what you have described is very common in the recruitment industry.