Finishing, pace and mouvement

stevy777_x

Watching the Liverpool game yesterday, to me the only difference between us and Liverpool is the mouvement of their front line and their finishing.

With better finishing we should have gone into the break leading 2-1 yesterday and we seemed to have lose our way in the second half because of a lack of mouvement and pace. Yes J rod is quite quick but he was too often isolated up front and we were lacking options. Now I don t want to to slate Lambert because he has played a major part in our rise but he never stretches the opposition defenders and our attack seemed quite predictable at times .

Another thing I noticed is that when we attack we don t seems to be doing it with enough players in or around the box.

Schenerdelin does make late runs sometimes but he needs to put his shooting boots on. Davis and cork on the hand do not provide enough options offensively.

We had more possession yesterday than Liverpool yet when they had the ball they made the most of it.

So what needs to be done in the summer? Buy a striker that can provide pace mouvement and finishing.

Tell Lallana, jay rod and the rest of the midfield to work on their finishing (not sure that can be taught, you either know how to finish or you don't)

Finishing is as much about practice as any skill.

It's tough to compare us to Liverpool, who have the two top scorers and by far the best forward line in the league at the moment. But yes, we know that we need changes up front.

Finishing is as much about practice as any skill.

It's tough to compare us to Liverpool, who have the two top scorers and by far the best forward line in the league at the moment. But yes, we know that we need changes up front.

We are arguably a top striker short of a top 6 team IMO when the team is firing

Unfortunately though our reservists are no where near the quality required

Watching the Liverpool game yesterday, to me the only difference between us and Liverpool is the mouvement of their front line and their finishing.

With better finishing we should have gone into the break leading 2-1 yesterday and we seemed to have lose our way in the second half because of a lack of mouvement and pace. Yes J rod is quite quick but he was too often isolated up front and we were lacking options. Now I don t want to to slate Lambert because he has played a major part in our rise but he never stretches the opposition defenders and our attack seemed quite predictable at times .

Another thing I noticed is that when we attack we don t seems to be doing it with enough players in or around the box.

Schenerdelin does make late runs sometimes but he needs to put his shooting boots on. Davis and cork on the hand do not provide enough options offensively.

We had more possession yesterday than Liverpool yet when they had the ball they made the most of it.

So what needs to be done in the summer? Buy a striker that can provide pace mouvement and finishing.

Tell Lallana, jay rod and the rest of the midfield to work on their finishing (not sure that can be taught, you either know how to finish or you don't)

Let me get this right, you think we should buy a striker this summer? Maybe one that offers some pace and movement up front? That Suarez and Sturridge make a difference for Liverpool? Why has no-one mentioned any of this on here before?

What the Liverpool strikers did was push up against our CB's. Too many players -Lambert being the worst offender- drop deep. I want opposing CBs having to turn as our strikers play off the shoulder or a striker staying forward and actually outmuscling a CB rather than managing to find space in parts of the pitch where they are less dangerous.

Yesterday recall Lallana and Jrod attempt runs from deep in case of the early ball over the top - it seemed pretty futile and halfhearted in the system we play.

Edited by shurlock

Let me get this right, you think we should buy a striker this summer? Maybe one that offers some pace and movement up front? That Suarez and Sturridge make a difference for Liverpool? Why has no-one mentioned any of this on here before?

I honestly don't get what your problem is. It was reasonable post and probably better argued than on other threads on a similar topic whilst your response offered as much as Jonno Forte does on match days. I think the thing about pace is a good one. Liverpool broke away with just two players and gave us loads of trouble. A couple of times we broke with 4 or 5 well up the pitch but for some reason we stopped on the half way line and played it back. Don't think I saw j rod doing one of his mazy runs once.

Those are big asks. A top striker isn't easy to come by and every team does well when they're 'firing'.

You know what I mean, pre our little crisis we were playing incredibly, but the crisis occured due to playing good teams and having a large injury list.

We arent playing bad now, we certainly fashion chances just have nobody to finish it off. There are players that are getteable and that would suit the way we play. Its all been said before.

Summer will tell us what we need to know about our ambition.

Give us Suarez and I wonder how different our points tallies would look. That's what world class forwards do. You can build a good organised team playing good football, but you need cutting edge. Take Suarez out and I think it's fairly evenly matched. He'd definitely have taken a couple of our chances yesterday. Unfortunately there don't seem to be a large number of these players around! If Chelsea and Arsenal can't find them, I'm not convinced we will!

oh for another Pahars.

Actually, I have some French blood in me, I'm half French and live in Paris, so excuse me if my spelling is off sometimes ;-)

Ah! Oki doki!!! No offence intended. Ironically, as I type this, my American spellchecker is telling me I spelled "offence" wrong. :blush: