Champions league winner Gareth Bale

gogo_saint

Well done Gareth Bale! Fantastic to see one of our youth products win such a trophy! Good on him, he must be delighted. Thoroughly deserved for such a hard working and down to earth man. Feel sorry for Atletico, but so chuffed for Bale. Maybe more British players will consider moving abroad? Anyone know if any other saints have gone on to win the European cup?

Yep, many congratulations. As an aside, can anyone (preferably a qualified coach) explain the current fashion for not having a man on each post for corners? Both goals in normal time would have been cleared. It does my head in.

Yep, many congratulations. As an aside, can anyone (preferably a qualified coach) explain the current fashion for not having a man on each post for corners? Both goals in normal time would have been cleared. It does my head in.

The feeling is that it pushes the opposition out further leaving the keeper a free run (Ramos scored from the penalty spot, which is very hard) and you have more people actually trying to win the ball in the air rather than on the goal line. I think the stats show that teams who don't out players on both posts (some usually only have 1 on the near post of the ball goes over him) let I'm less goals from corners. Or something like that. It's only really in England where we are obsessed with having two players on the posts

It is a tactic that has served them well as they won the league doing it with the best set piece stats upfront and in defence. Just got done by it on that occasion

It's like us pushing so far up at times so we win the ball further away from Our own goal. Now and then, you get caught out

Edited by Batman

I believe it is to do with the fact that the players are statistically more likely to head the ball away by being stood in the box rather than by the posts.

What a stunning career. Everyone has got to admire not only his amazing footballing skills, but his professionalism and determination to succeed.

(But what a pity for Saints that L**e cashed in on sell-on clauses - that did not in the end stave off administration and has got be one of the biggest miscalculations in football finance. Never mind though, all worked out well for us in the end)