Back three?

NickG

I've read Koeman prefers a back three, how would that be implemented with current squad?

I don't know much about practicalities of that formation, or the best type of players for it, but..

Would our best 3 be; Lovren, Fonte and Wanyama? Wanyama plays very deeply protecting the CBs (and we don't let goals in!)

Would this be much different to how we play when VW is in side, with Clyne/Shaw advanced.

Other option could be Chambers?

If we are buying/ selling CBs - are some better suited to playing in a 3?

I could only see this being Yoshida, Lovren, Fonte with a combination of Chambers/Clyne at RWB and Shaw at LWB. Wanyama and Morgan shielding the back four and providing an outlet. Using our current squad.

-------------------- Rodriguez ---------------------

Lallana ------------------------------------ Ramirez

------------ Wanyama ----- Schneiderlin -----------

Shaw --------------------------------- Chambers/Clyne

-------- Fonte ------ Lovren ----- Yoshida -----------

--------------------- Boruc --------------------------

Subs: K Davis, Targett, Hooiveld, Ward-Prowse, S. Davis, Gallagher, Cork.

We really need some new blood.

Edited by Colinjb

At times we played with a back 5 last season. Wanyama sat just in front of defence and Shaw/Clyne/Chambers very high up the flanks. Cork/Ward Prowse/Davis would fill in when the full backs were out of position. There isn't room to play a flat back 3 AND Wanyama in my opninion and given that Koeman is known to play very attacking football, I'd imagine he'd agree.

I see it panning out as a 5-3-2 something more along the lines of this in defence and midfield;

-----Lovren-------Fonte----------

Clyne------Wanyama----Shaw----

----------------------------------

-----------Schneiderlin-----------

-------Cork-------Lallana---------

Allows Clyne and Shaw to dart forward with a solid defensive core remaining should we get swiftly countered, not entirely different to how we would usually play with Wanyama available.

The system is 5-2-1-2

---------GK---------

----CB--CB--CB---

RWB------------LWB

------CM--CM------

--------CAM--------

------ST-----ST-----

The CB's have to be versatile and comfortable being forced wide, which currently, Lovren and Fonte are. One of the 3 will look to bring the ball out of defence. The team will naturally play very narrow and then look to ping the pass wide to the marauding wing back. The 2 CM jobs are to defend and recycle possession to the CAM and wing backs. The CAM always needs to be available in the number 10 pocket. He then picks up the ball and looks to drive forward with the 2 ST playing on the shoulders of the 2 opposition CB's. Whichever side the play is on, the opposite wing back needs to be drifting in and joining the rest of the attack to create a 2 / 3 men overload in the penalty area.

Very simple concept but much more difficult to implement.

One thing you might well see is the back three often scrambling and running back towards our own goal as they will be dragged out of position covering for the wing backs.

Superb system when it pays off (chile, holland, Feyenoord) but can take a good month or so to implement and get used to in a game situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------GK---------

----CB--CB--CB---

RWB------------LWB

------CM--CM------

--------CAM--------

------ST-----ST-----

Or for people of an age like myself who grew up playing the SNES & Championship Manager on the PC, it's the old Germany system.

At times we played with a back 5 last season. Wanyama sat just in front of defence and Shaw/Clyne/Chambers very high up the flanks. Cork/Ward Prowse/Davis would fill in when the full backs were out of position. There isn't room to play a flat back 3 AND Wanyama in my opninion and given that Koeman is known to play very attacking football, I'd imagine he'd agree.

I agree.

Think Colin's suggestion looks too defensive for me - basically losing one of our best players, a forward, Lambert and his direct replacement being Yoshida, a CB.

If we use VW, (or maybe CC) think it can be attacking, holding control of the back with three allowing 5 (for example ) in midfield to be more advanced.

Maybe

Lovren/ Fonte/Wanyama

Clyne, Ramirez, Schneiderlin, Lallana, Shaw

Gallagher, Rodriguez

Bit academic as squad will change but interested in type of player we may sign to fit system.

I like a 3 CB system but I can't see Yoshida being part of that. Those 3 need to be solid and the manager must have a tremendous amount of confidence in them to hold a back line. As much as I like him, I don't know if I could trust Yoshida back there (that's what she said).

I like a 3 CB system but I can't see Yoshida being part of that. Those 3 need to be solid and the manager must have a tremendous amount of confidence in them to hold a back line. As much as I like him, I don't know if I could trust Yoshida back there (that's what she said).

I agree. I would play Lovren Lovren and Lovren as 3 CBs

He also likes to play the old Brazil type formation:

------------GK-------

-------CB--SW---CB---

WB-----------------WB

---------CM--CM-------

-------AM-------AM-----

------------ST----------

Got a friend in Holland and asked him how he thought he would do, he said great!

Asked if Pelle is any good ( rumour he wants to come ) he said: A bit nuts but a damn good player, likes to kick sponsor boards and dressing room doors!

He also likes to play the old Brazil type formation:

------------GK-------

-------CB--SW---CB---

WB-----------------WB

---------CM--CM-------

-------AM-------AM-----

------------ST----------

Got a friend in Holland and asked him how he thought he would do, he said great!

Asked if Pelle is any good ( rumour he wants to come ) he said: A bit nuts but a damn good player, likes to kick sponsor boards and dressing room doors!

Excellent, we haven't got a striker like that, oh, hang on......

I think that we'll see an initial tweak leaving us with a structure like this

----------------- GK -------------------

----------CB ------------ CB ----------

WB ------------ DM --------------- WB

---- AM ------- MC -------- AM ------

---------- ST ------- ST ------------