Redslo Southampton FC blog

Redslo

You cannot use all your baseball statistics for football games it doesnt work.

If it did the football pools would have never existed, as everybody would have guessed correctly.

I don't quite understand this comment. I am not using baseball statistics for football games. At times I use the same philosophical approach that is often referred to as moneyball but, at its core, that is about looking for hidden sources of player value that are not commonly recognized and obtaining that value for your team cheaply. (Of course, since I don't actually run a football team I am not really doing that, but whatever.) There is no reason the method can't work in football just with more difficulty because baseball is peculiarly susceptible to analyzing individual components of the game independently whereas football is peculiarly not susceptible to that approach.

The second part of your comment is demonstrably wrong. The fact that there might be some way for someone to gain a betting advantage does not mean betting will not occur. There will always be people with less knowledge, incorrect knowledge, or who let their emotions take priority over their knowledge. You might as well assert that no football matches can possibly be fixed because if they were everyone would bet on the winning side. In fact, there will be people who do not know that the match was fixed. The same is true with football pools. Plus, if I figured out how to always get every game right, I might keep my technique secret and just win the money for myself.

Also, there will always be random factors that are not determinable so that no sport (or any other human activity) will every be completely predictable.

I don't quite understand this comment. I am not using baseball statistics for football games. At times I use the same philosophical approach that is often referred to as moneyball but, at its core, that is about looking for hidden sources of player value that are not commonly recognized and obtaining that value for your team cheaply. (Of course, since I don't actually run a football team I am not really doing that, but whatever.) There is no reason the method can't work in football just with more difficulty because baseball is peculiarly susceptible to analyzing individual components of the game independently whereas football is peculiarly not susceptible to that approach.

The second part of your comment is demonstrably wrong. The fact that there might be some way for someone to gain a betting advantage does not mean betting will not occur. There will always be people with less knowledge, incorrect knowledge, or who let their emotions take priority over their knowledge. You might as well assert that no football matches can possibly be fixed because if they were everyone would bet on the winning side. In fact, there will be people who do not know that the match was fixed. The same is true with football pools. Plus, if I figured out how to always get every game right, I might keep my technique secret and just win the money for myself.

Also, there will always be random factors that are not determinable so that no sport (or any other human activity) will every be completely predictable.

This just goes to show exactly what I stated earlier Baseball statistics or any other do not work on association football games.

you have applied what you thought was an assumption by myself to another random factor and got the fact that I knew what I was talking about sorry but this is football and we are mostly all full of sh ite. in that end Happy Christmas :)

This just goes to show exactly what I stated earlier Baseball statistics or any other do not work on association football games.

you have applied what you thought was an assumption by myself to another random factor and got the fact that I knew what I was talking about sorry but this is football and we are mostly all full of sh ite. in that end Happy Christmas :)

Since, I assume it is ok by you if I continue to blog, even if I am wrong, have a Happy Festivus.

I just posted “Midseason Statistical Over Analysis (Part One).” It includes a chart showing where clubs ended the season when compared to where they were after 19 games. I hope to do additional charts in the next several days.

I'm sure that you mean well Redslo but I have to confess that after reading about 10% of what you have written I lost the will to live :)

Perhaps if you were to keep your points a bit more concise they would have more of an impact ?

Anyway, happy new year to you !

Quote:

"I'm sure that you mean well Redslo but I have to confess that after reading about 10% of what you have written I lost the will to live

Perhaps if you were to keep your points a bit more concise they would have more of an impact ? "

I disagree. You don't get insightful, critical analysis without depth and it's not as though he writes in a fashion that is beyond comprehension of the average reader.

Maybe you should just stick to Twitter?

Redslo is good people! I think he should maybe restrict himself to factual matters tho i.e. doing the research and explaining the facts behind things that are dimly understood, like the stuff he did on FFP which was v.excellent. The 30 hours he put in on Football Manager to find out if Jack Cork will sign new contract, perhaps less so. I would like Redslo to review the Laws of the Game like they are Legal Contract using his Lawyer skills and advise whether i.e. Fabregas or Targett should have been prosecuted in the Chelsea match. That is my suggestion for Redslo blogs! Do things bout Rules & Facts & Lawyer Skills!

I

Quote:

"I'm sure that you mean well Redslo but I have to confess that after reading about 10% of what you have written I lost the will to live

Perhaps if you were to keep your points a bit more concise they would have more of an impact ? "

I disagree. You don't get insightful, critical analysis without depth and it's not as though he writes in a fashion that is beyond comprehension of the average reader.

Maybe you should just stick to Twitter?

I'm afraid I don't do Twitter !

Only my opinion but I found the blog to be boring and long winded so I politely said so and with a smiley to boot !

Hardly a hanging offence :mcinnes:

I just posted "I Make Predictions (Round 21)."

Redslo is good people! I think he should maybe restrict himself to factual matters tho i.e. doing the research and explaining the facts behind things that are dimly understood, like the stuff he did on FFP which was v.excellent. The 30 hours he put in on Football Manager to find out if Jack Cork will sign new contract, perhaps less so. I would like Redslo to review the Laws of the Game like they are Legal Contract using his Lawyer skills and advise whether i.e. Fabregas or Targett should have been prosecuted in the Chelsea match. That is my suggestion for Redslo blogs! Do things bout Rules & Facts & Lawyer Skills!

I will keep your suggestions in mind. Strangely, my tabulation of Southampton salaries as found in the Football Manager database got more page views than anything in more than two months since my Jack Cork New Contract post. It almost seems like the less time I spend on something the more people who are interested. This makes sense if my longer articles take away one's will to live. Maybe I should try writing like Herb Caen.

I

I'm afraid I don't do Twitter !

Only my opinion but I found the blog to be boring and long winded so I politely said so and with a smiley to boot !

Hardly a hanging offence :mcinnes:

I'm normally ambivalent/hostile towards Americans/Canadians whatever, but I enjoy redSLO's blog. Sometimes even the really long-winded, pointless boring bits too.

i wonder if the scf bit of his url is typo, he should do a blog post on it

You got me. It is. I don't think a blog post is required. I fully intended to admit it if anyone ever said anything. You win the prize.

Going down the path to doing exactly what Bearsy wants sounds like a dangerous pursuit to me.

Don't worry. Today's article is more of the depriving people of the will to live type of article eurosaint has warned of.

Edited by Redslo
I put in a missing '.

I'm sure that you mean well Redslo but I have to confess that after reading about 10% of what you have written I lost the will to live :)

Perhaps if you were to keep your points a bit more concise they would have more of an impact ?

Anyway, happy new year to you !

I just published "Milestone 20,556" which quoted both of these posts because I am trying to win back eurosaint as a reader and I want to latch onto the big Bearsy fan base.

Naturally, I completely ignored Dangermouth who likes my work.

Edited by Redslo
added "ed" where it belong(ed)

You blog about saints ALOT

It's because I am a rich billionaire who lives alone, except for my butler, in my mansion just outside of the city and I need a hobby. I couldn't think of anything else to do. Do you have any ideas?

Just a general query for anyone, is there a website etc where they you can see how far each player has run during the season. I know Pelle had run the most of any forward in the premier league a while ago but I'd be interested in the stats across the entire team.

I was unable to locate it in the 5 minutes I devoted to the project. I did find this article which is fairly recent and relevant. Perhaps the information is proprietary so journalists can get access to it for articles, but the whole list is not publically available. Or perhaps I just failed in my googling. It is time for bed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2901692/Newcastle-midfielder-Moussa-Sissoko-Premier-League-s-fastest-player.html

I just published "Milestone 20,556" which quoted both of these posts because I am trying to win back eurosaint as a reader and I want to latch onto the big Bearsy fan base.

ok redslo i will read this + evaluate ur work. Stand by for full report!

Here is where my page views are coming from:

omg redslo is monitoring where you live & what sort of computer you use!

When I done blog, the most interesting thing was you see what search terms people type into google to get there. My blog was bout football, but all the google search terms were things like, "cucumber+my daughter+vagina" or "big+boobs+anal+rape+west ham"