Redslo Southampton FC blog

Redslo

I have read the Swiss Ramble blogs. I really miss the fact that he doesn't post anymore. I don't really follow anyone on twitter.

Having written the above, I decided to check the Swiss Ramble blog for the first time in over a month and he actually posted something new last month. Whoohooo.

Edited by Redslo

I have posted a new article entitled “Possible Reasons for not Signing Jack Cork Right Now.” It is speculation, not inside information.

http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/

http://redsloscf.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi Redslo

I think the only factor you didn't consider/comment on was the Harrison Reed effect, perhaps the club feels that we already have a younger cheaper alternative that may also in time become a better player.

Hi Redslo

I think the only factor you didn't consider/comment on was the Harrison Reed effect, perhaps the club feels that we already have a younger cheaper alternative that may also in time become a better player.

You are right. I did not address that and I should have, but I overlooked it. I would contend, however, that if that were the only reason for not signing Cork to a new contract, it would still make sense to sign him to a new contract. Given who is getting the playing time now, it appears that Reed is not considered to be ready to take over Cork's slot this season. If Cork were signed to a new contract, he could be sold for a profit once Reed was ready.

i was going to read that blog about cork, but if it's full of mistakes & omissions i don't think I'll bother. Which is the best one to read instead? I have read the one bout FFP and I read one about Football Manager or whatever it was, but I haven't read the others. I enjoy ur blog posts a lot, but when it turned out there was gonna be 6 new blogs a day I had to make a life-choice :(

i was going to read that blog about cork, but if it's full of mistakes & omissions i don't think I'll bother. Which is the best one to read instead? I have read the one bout FFP and I read one about Football Manager or whatever it was, but I haven't read the others. I enjoy ur blog posts a lot, but when it turned out there was gonna be 6 new blogs a day I had to make a life-choice :(

My posting rate has slowed down so you probably don't have to worry about that any more. If you can't figure out which blog to read next I would just go in alphabetical order.

I was wondering if I can get some feedback on my most recent post--the one about racism. The only feedback I have received is on this thread on the Ugly Inside forum and I am wondering if their consensus that I am completely wrong about racism being a problem is the general consensus of Southampton fans and, if so, what am I missing or, in the alternative, what are other Southampton fans missing.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/126804/black-managers..../#43

Part two of the article was going to focus on the Rooney Rule itself but if the existence of racism is really an issue maybe I should address that again. Or maybe I should give up on the subject completely--which would be discouraging and not fun. Oh well. Any non-obscene feedback would be welcome.

I was wondering if I can get some feedback on my most recent post--the one about racism. The only feedback I have received is on this thread on the Ugly Inside forum and I am wondering if their consensus that I am completely wrong about racism being a problem is the general consensus of Southampton fans and, if so, what am I missing or, in the alternative, what are other Southampton fans missing.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/126804/black-managers..../#43

Part two of the article was going to focus on the Rooney Rule itself but if the existence of racism is really an issue maybe I should address that again. Or maybe I should give up on the subject completely--which would be discouraging and not fun. Oh well. Any non-obscene feedback would be welcome.

I cannot claim my opinion is informed and / or based on a great deal of thought. I principally hold the view that there is a problem - there is clearly too few black coaches / Managers in our professional game and there must be a reason for it - whether racist or not. Many arguments come head down the road of there not being enough black coaches / Managers and then someone asks how many of them have their coaching qualifications and it emerges not many do. But that cannot be an excuse unless we understand why not many black people have their badges - if they feel the game is racist and there is no point then the lack of coaching qualifications cannot be used as a reasonable explanation in my opinion.

The Rooney Rule is a little divisive as it somewhat formally acknowledges that there is racism in the game, and that is something no-one would want to officially admit. If it comes into existence as merely a vehicle to encourage ethnic minorities (not just black people) to pursue coaching and Managerial qualifications then I see it as a good thing, even if I think the rule itself for appointing people is wrong.

Something else I feel strongly about is that football really only ever reflects society - it is not something that exists as its own entity because as a sport it is so entwined with general life. Therefore if there is a problem in football with racism then it is because there is still a problem in society with it. If society continues to make strides against racism then football will as well - it is inevitable.

I have just posted a new article entitled “Racism in English Football and the Rooney Rule (Part 2).” Surprisingly, at least to me, I finished my discussion of this issue in just two parts. Of course, I had to leave something out—like my tribute to Bill Walsh. Oh, well. Maybe I can fit that in elsewhere.

I have published a new article entitled “How Close Are We? (Part 2)” in which I use the new Football Manager 2015 database to analyze Southampton’s current situation and to annoy those people who are annoyed by my use of the Football Manager database.

Nice one mate and I look for to hearing the rationale as to why chambers has improved but clyne got worse

I have published a new article entitled “How Close Are We? (Part 2)” in which I use the new Football Manager 2015 database to analyze Southampton’s current situation and to annoy those people who are annoyed by my use of the Football Manager database.

Safe to say, you are obsessed with Saints FC, Redslo...!

What's your connection?

Oh wow, that's a great story! We're lucky to have you. And what a great time to discover the Saints. Hopefully you've predicted our future success.

Who'd have thought the funny old city of Southampton would be drawing international fans.

I have published a new article entitled “Eleven Games, Twenty-??? Points: What does it mean? (Part 2).” It does not use Football Manager 2015 in any way.

Interesting stats mate fairplay, I would take 6th in a heartbeat but also very informative, I knew chelsea were good but not that good.

While acknowledging there may very well be racism in football, it is also equally possible to say football has been a pioneer in improving race relations - certainly in Western, if not yet in Eastern, Europe.

When I see my Saints team take to the field, I see simply eleven Saints players. Some of the team may well be of a different race from the vast bulk of the supporters but all 30,000 of us Saints fans cheer them all on regardless and want them to know they have our full backing. Similarly, I'm confident Arsenal fans had no qualms about cheering on The Gunners when, a few years back nearly all of their outfield players were black and I'm sure West Ham fans are all currently reveling in the amazing goal-scoring prowess of Diafra Sakho. When Ryan Giggs took over as caretaker manager at Manchester United, I can't recall his racial origins even being mentioned. In this regard, football fans have well and truly grown-up. Not just here, but evidence abounds elsewhere.

The crowds in the Champs Elysees cheered the 'Rainbow Team' when France won the World Cup in 1998.

I enjoy watching the Bundesliga highlights on TV. Non-white players are plentiful, the crowds roar them on and when a goal is scored all the players join in the hugs and celebrations. You wouldn't have seen any of that in Germany 70 years ago.

Sadly, some of our Eastern European counterparts have yet to be as broad-minded but with time and exposure to outsiders I suspect football will turn them around. Certainly the clubs there appear to have no problem signing Brazilian and African players.

Yes, the statistics make for grim reading when it comes to hiring minority managers, but l try to look on the bright side and so when Jose Mourinho says there is no racism in football, I can see where he is coming from. I guess the true litmus test for success in this area is when the 'No to Racism' signs and banners are removed because they are no longer necessary. With this in mind we cannot yet say 'job done' but rather it is 'still work in progress'.

While acknowledging there may very well be racism in football, it is also equally possible to say football has been a pioneer in improving race relations - certainly in Western, if not yet in Eastern, Europe.

When I see my Saints team take to the field, I see simply eleven Saints players. Some of the team may well be of a different race from the vast bulk of the supporters but all 30,000 of us Saints fans cheer them all on regardless and want them to know they have our full backing. Similarly, I'm confident Arsenal fans had no qualms about cheering on The Gunners when, a few years back nearly all of their outfield players were black and I'm sure West Ham fans are all currently reveling in the amazing goal-scoring prowess of Diafra Sakho. When Ryan Giggs took over as caretaker manager at Manchester United, I can't recall his racial origins even being mentioned. In this regard, football fans have well and truly grown-up. Not just here, but evidence abounds elsewhere.

The crowds in the Champs Elysees cheered the 'Rainbow Team' when France won the World Cup in 1998.

I enjoy watching the Bundesliga highlights on TV. Non-white players are plentiful, the crowds roar them on and when a goal is scored all the players join in the hugs and celebrations. You wouldn't have seen any of that in Germany 70 years ago.

Sadly, some of our Eastern European counterparts have yet to be as broad-minded but with time and exposure to outsiders I suspect football will turn them around. Certainly the clubs there appear to have no problem signing Brazilian and African players.

Yes, the statistics make for grim reading when it comes to hiring minority managers, but l try to look on the bright side and so when Jose Mourinho says there is no racism in football, I can see where he is coming from. I guess the true litmus test for success in this area is when the 'No to Racism' signs and banners are removed because they are no longer necessary. With this in mind we cannot yet say 'job done' but rather it is 'still work in progress'.

Thank you for that response.

I think there is little doubt that football is one of the strongest forces fight against racism--in part because the opportunity to be judged purely on merit is present--and that it tends to lead, rather than follow, society as a whole. Certainly, progress has been most visible in the way fans treat their own players. (Although Mario Balotelli might not agree. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2635044/Mario-Balotelli-suffers-racist-abuse-Italy-fans-World-Cup-training-camp.html ) I have no doubt that the vast majority of Southampton fans pay no attention to the race of their own players or of their opponents.

Not being there I do not know the answer to this question, but I wonder if the issue is less pressing because of the relatively low minority population in Southampton (under 8%) and Hampshire as a whole (under 4%). http://www3.hants.gov.uk/factsandfigures/population-statistics/census_pages/census_information/pop_ethnicity.htm Of course, it would be ridiculous to force minorities to move to Southampton so that they could not be discriminated against. Just out of curiousity, how common are minority fans at St. Mary's?

It would be interesting to interview someone like Nathaniel Clyne to see what his experiences have been like, but given where I live I am in no position to seek out such an interview.

Some interesting posts, how many times have you managed to make it over for games?

Never. I am not one for watching games in person. I have never been to a 49ers game, for example, even though I have followed them since my childhood. I haven't been to a SF Giants game since the early '90s.

Also, I have no passport right now.

Thank you for that response.

I think there is little doubt that football is one of the strongest forces fight against racism--in part because the opportunity to be judged purely on merit is present--and that it tends to lead, rather than follow, society as a whole. Certainly, progress has been most visible in the way fans treat their own players. (Although Mario Balotelli might not agree. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2635044/Mario-Balotelli-suffers-racist-abuse-Italy-fans-World-Cup-training-camp.html ) I have no doubt that the vast majority of Southampton fans pay no attention to the race of their own players or of their opponents.

Not being there I do not know the answer to this question, but I wonder if the issue is less pressing because of the relatively low minority population in Southampton (under 8%) and Hampshire as a whole (under 4%). http://www3.hants.gov.uk/factsandfigures/population-statistics/census_pages/census_information/pop_ethnicity.htm Of course, it would be ridiculous to force minorities to move to Southampton so that they could not be discriminated against. Just out of curiousity, how common are minority fans at St. Mary's?

It would be interesting to interview someone like Nathaniel Clyne to see what his experiences have been like, but given where I live I am in no position to seek out such an interview.

'How common are minority fans at St Mary's?' Mmmmm ... My reply can only be anecdotal and others may be better placed to answer but I very rarely see anyone who appears to be from a minority group. Your question prompted me to be a 'people watcher' on my way to and from and at St Mary's yesterday. I saw one man who appeared to be of Chinese origin chatting with some (white) mates and a couple of lads whose ancestry was probably from the sub-continent but just about everyone else was 'Anglo-Saxon'. The only noticeable thing was the absence of anything noticeable.

In recent years small groups of Japanese tourists attended waving banners encouraging Tadanari Lee and later Maya Yoshida but these have now disappeared and were understandably only a very few.

By far-and-away the biggest change in spectator demographics over the (40 plus) years I have been going to see football has been the large increase in the number of Ladies attending. This was especially clear when we moved to St Mary's.

'How common are minority fans at St Mary's?' Mmmmm ... My reply can only be anecdotal and others may be better placed to answer but I very rarely see anyone who appears to be from a minority group. Your question prompted me to be a 'people watcher' on my way to and from and at St Mary's yesterday. I saw one man who appeared to be of Chinese origin chatting with some (white) mates and a couple of lads whose ancestry was probably from the sub-continent but just about everyone else was 'Anglo-Saxon'. The only noticeable thing was the absence of anything noticeable.

In recent years small groups of Japanese tourists attended waving banners encouraging Tadanari Lee and later Maya Yoshida but these have now disappeared and were understandably only a very few.

By far-and-away the biggest change in spectator demographics over the (40 plus) years I have been going to see football has been the large increase in the number of Ladies attending. This was especially clear when we moved to St Mary's.

Thanks for the response.

Never. I am not one for watching games in person. I have never been to a 49ers game, for example, even though I have followed them since my childhood. I haven't been to a SF Giants game since the early '90s.

Also, I have no passport right now.

What have you done?

I saw some Arabic looking bloke with a beard in the chapel yesterday if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
I like all the analysis cheers. So statistically likely to finish higher having 27ots rather than 28 after 12 games. I'll take 28 though.

Me too. That weirdness is just a function of small sample size. Also, we can't get 27 points in 12 games. And both options are much better than 25 points in twelve games.

I am planning to post blog entries more frequently in the next couple of weeks as a kind of holiday celebration/caught up on work thing. Keeping in mind the sort of thing I write about, does anyone have any suggestions or requests?

I like those ones where you peer into the English game from the outside and do a bit of research.

Slightly off-topic but your researching and commenting on the Glazers' use of the Mancs would be interesting.

Other than that, the different cultural view and research-based views you take (I prefer quality over quantity, although your predictions aren't bad).

I like those ones where you peer into the English game from the outside and do a bit of research.

Slightly off-topic but your researching and commenting on the Glazers' use of the Mancs would be interesting.

Other than that, the different cultural view and research-based views you take (I prefer quality over quantity, although your predictions aren't bad).

The Glazers abuse of Manchester United has been better covered than I could ever do at http://andersred.blogspot.com/ although I wish he would post more often.

As you can undoubtedly tell, doing the predictions is easy now that I have set up the system--although I do enjoy being slightly better, on average, than the real expert.

The fact that you like my research based posts in encouraging and discouraging at the same time. They are a lot of work--I have been doing a scouting report for the January Transfer window and have already spent 8 or 9 hours on it and it will not be done for several more. My look at what the results after nineteen games mean on a historical basis will probably take a comparable amount of time. But I have more spare time this week than I have had in a month or more. So off I go.

Edited by Redslo

Actually what would be interesting would be the area where Saints could set up a franchise to start a double-pronged attack on the US market and look to get their hands on all the talent coming through in the future.

Football talent for those of a bear's persuasion, that is.

Given the UK's work permit rules, I am not sure there is any way to do this. http://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/footballer-work-permits.htm

That being said, DeAndre Yedlin got a work permit to go to Tottenham. He has played in 10 USA international games but only four were non-friendlies and the USA played in 20 non-friendly games in the past two years so he did not meet the 75% requirement. Apparently, the authorities decided was a "player of the highest caliber" or would be "able to contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in the UK."

What might help is if Southampton were in a position to loan players to MLS teams and generate favorable publicity in doing so. I don't know if it is possible and MLS roster rules are a quagmire. We will have a better idea of what is possible when we see how much Manchester City helps out its New York City franchise. However, the disagreement over the fate of Frank Lampard may foul that up.