A piece on Pellé in the Guardian today

lloydie

This cant be true, he's rubbish and not good enough for the premier league, we know this from seeing him in a friendly.

Johnny come lately! I wrote him off even before he signed, just on youtube video :smug:

I am sucker for hype tho, I now think he will score 15+ on basis of this article + be SFC legend!

I have seen him once in a friendly away at Bournemouth and his technique and build up play were superb, in fact from the little I have seen of him he looked potentially better than Lambert in this area. He had one very decent chance in the first half that he should have buried and he didn't take it. It was a good save from the keeper but in all honesty Pelle should have done better.

I think he needs a good start to the season and hopefully a goal or two in his first 2-3 games will set him on his way. If he starts struggling and searching for that first goal then it could be a very long season for both Pelle and our fans.

From what I have seen of Pelle he looks a very good player, however it seems that Pelle isn't being included enough on the end piece. It seemed it was more Pelle, like a good holding striker, playing it off to a midfielder and then them inevitably missing or the wingers putting in a **** poor cross or trying to cut in rather then play in the ariel threat.

We still have alot to see from Pelle, so no need to write him off. Come back in a months time and then set an opinion. :)

From what I have seen of Pelle he looks a very good player, however it seems that Pelle isn't being included enough on the end piece. It seemed it was more Pelle, like a good holding striker, playing it off to a midfielder and then them inevitably missing or the wingers putting in a **** poor cross or trying to cut in rather then play in the ariel threat.

We still have alot to see from Pelle, so no need to write him off. Come back in a months time and then set an opinion. :)

In the two games Ive seen at Brighton and home to Leverkusen the central midfielders didnt get forward enough to support to him in the box. The crosses came in but Pelle was usually surrounded by three defenders.

In the two games Ive seen at Brighton and home to Leverkusen the central midfielders didnt get forward enough to support to him in the box. The crosses came in but Pelle was usually surrounded by three defenders.

Agree. In the Bournemouth game he was more of a threat as we got a few more decent balls into the box.

If we give him good service, he looks like he will score.

Hello Saints!

I'm a Feyenoord fan for decades (hence the nick "van Hanegem") and I couldn't resist to drop some lines here about Pelle, hope you don't mind and please forgive my mistakes in English grammar. It's a bit strange to see so little discussion on this forum about Pelle, who was the key player of Feyenoord for two years and I guess that's because he hasn't played many games until now. Hopefully for you Pelle will adept to the Premier League as fast as he did to the Dutch Eredivisie. Off course the Premier League can't be compared with the Eredivisie, with the ridiculous amounts of money spent in the PL the level is and should be better and the question is wether Pelle is up to it. Well, I believe he is. It will take some time for him to get used to the pace of the game and off course it will be important for him to score some goals soon to get the confidence each striker needs. When that happens you are in for a treat, you will see that he's no loner but a teamplayer, a leader who is constantly busy with his teammates (yep, shouting and cursing when they make the wrong decision or deliver a bad pass but also honoring them when they deliver a good assist). It won't be the same as with Feyenoord where he had to play with a lot of teenagers around him who needed a leader they could follow but Pelle is quite a character and I'm sure his Italian temper will surface. Needless to say his performance will also depend on the way Ronald Koeman wants to play. With Feyenoord Koeman chose too often to play the "long ball" to Pelle who controlled the ball and passed it to incoming players. That worked well against Dutch opponents because we don't have real defenders over here (although they're not all as bad as Hooiveld, how did you end up with this guy?) but a lot of physical small boys and sometimes it was hilarious to see them trying to get the ball from Pelle. That won't be the case in the PL however, not that I'm impressed with the defenders in the PL but at least they do have the body to match Pelle. So it will come to his ability to control and play the ball faster than his opponent can think and I don't know if Pelle is able to do that in the PL. I believe it will be better when he gets the ball with his face to the opponents goal, a player like Tadic is very able to deliver a crosspass from which Pelle can score. Unbelievable that you also got Tadic! No offence intended but it's a bit sad to see that the best two players of the Eredivisie of the last two years can't get to a bigger club than Southampton, despite the warm feeling I have for your club (I watched Match of the Day in the past just to see le Tissier play...). But that's football these days, Southampton has a budget for salaries that's four times bigger than Feyenoord's...

I'm looing forward to see the opening game next sunday against Liverpool and hope that you'll get a result, would be nice to see Pelle score!

Hello Saints!

I'm a Feyenoord fan for decades (hence the nick "van Hanegem") and I couldn't resist to drop some lines here about Pelle, hope you don't mind and please forgive my mistakes in English grammar. It's a bit strange to see so little discussion on this forum about Pelle, who was the key player of Feyenoord for two years and I guess that's because he hasn't played many games until now. Hopefully for you Pelle will adept to the Premier League as fast as he did to the Dutch Eredivisie. Off course the Premier League can't be compared with the Eredivisie, with the ridiculous amounts of money spent in the PL the level is and should be better and the question is wether Pelle is up to it. Well, I believe he is. It will take some time for him to get used to the pace of the game and off course it will be important for him to score some goals soon to get the confidence each striker needs. When that happens you are in for a treat, you will see that he's no loner but a teamplayer, a leader who is constantly busy with his teammates (yep, shouting and cursing when they make the wrong decision or deliver a bad pass but also honoring them when they deliver a good assist). It won't be the same as with Feyenoord where he had to play with a lot of teenagers around him who needed a leader they could follow but Pelle is quite a character and I'm sure his Italian temper will surface. Needless to say his performance will also depend on the way Ronald Koeman wants to play. With Feyenoord Koeman chose too often to play the "long ball" to Pelle who controlled the ball and passed it to incoming players. That worked well against Dutch opponents because we don't have real defenders over here (although they're not all as bad as Hooiveld, how did you end up with this guy?) but a lot of physical small boys and sometimes it was hilarious to see them trying to get the ball from Pelle. That won't be the case in the PL however, not that I'm impressed with the defenders in the PL but at least they do have the body to match Pelle. So it will come to his ability to control and play the ball faster than his opponent can think and I don't know if Pelle is able to do that in the PL. I believe it will be better when he gets the ball with his face to the opponents goal, a player like Tadic is very able to deliver a crosspass from which Pelle can score. Unbelievable that you also got Tadic! No offence intended but it's a bit sad to see that the best two players of the Eredivisie of the last two years can't get to a bigger club than Southampton, despite the warm feeling I have for your club (I watched Match of the Day in the past just to see le Tissier play...). But that's football these days, Southampton has a budget for salaries that's four times bigger than Feyenoord's...

I'm looing forward to see the opening game next sunday against Liverpool and hope that you'll get a result, would be nice to see Pelle score!

:lol:

Welcome, you'll fit in well here!!

:lol:

Welcome, you'll fit in well here!!

Thanks! I guess even your scouts can have an off-day? :D We believed our scouts were crazy as hell when they came up with Pelle two years ago. We had had a good year with Guidetti on loan from ManC and then we got Pelle who was more famous for his ballroom dancing act (I kid you not!) than his abilities on the pitch when he played for AZ Alkmaar (well, he didn't make it very often to the pitch because they had a couple of other good strikers who did very well at that time...). Later on we learned that he wasn't scouted but that a friend of the son of Ronald Koeman met Pelle during his holidays on a beach in Spain and Pelle asked this friend to tell Koeman he would love to come to Feyenoord... We get players in the strangest ways! Now we're getting one Kazim-Kazim who played for Sheffield for a short while, looking at his name it should be some kind of wizard but I fear that his act doesn't involve a ball. So you see, our transfer policy is even worse than yours! With the exception of Hooiveld off course, geez, I can't believe that you don't have some youth player who is better than him...