Best goal?

angelman

My top five for the season (league goals only):

1. Pelle v QPR (overhead kick)

2. Long v Aston Villa (the 40 yard screamer)

3. Mane v Arsenal (chipping the keeper from virtually on the bye line)

4. Schneiderlin v Newcastle (the perfect curler into the top corner to make it 4-0)

5. Wanyama v Hull (the 40+ yarder in the 2nd minute, just for the audacity and the accuracy)

Pelle's goal must be one of the most under appreciated in PL history. I don't think it even got goal of the week in the Premier League's top five video they put out. Ridiculous. If it had been scored by Costa or Rooney people would still be raving about it. The control on the volley, the flick up, the acrobatic skill, the perfect loop over a defender and the goalkeeper into the top corner ... it was incredible. Deserves more coverage.

Pelle's goal should have won goal of the season, pretty ridiculous that fans voted for Long's effort ahead of that.

Long took advantage of Given being off his line, with lots of time and space. A lot of players would have done the same.

Pelle's was pure skill and grace. And even more impressive given his stature.

Theres been a few really nice team goals , what would we say Assist of the season would be ?

I offer as a suggestion our second goal in the defeat of Arsenal. On the one hand I'm not sure it counts as an official assist as there was a poor defensive error just before Tadic scored, but then the goal included what might be called a 'double-assist' as there was Victor's inch-perfect chip to Davis and then a superb bit of control and pass by Davis to set things up. If the defensive touches mean it can't count as an assist, well, just enjoy the clip anyway. From around 1.50 on the link below.

Wanyama and Davis assist for Tadic

Edited by Kingsland Codger

Pelle's goal should have won goal of the season, pretty ridiculous that fans voted for Long's effort ahead of that.

Long took advantage of Given being off his line, with lots of time and space. A lot of players would have done the same.

Longs goal showed his value to the team, Westwood was napping (how the hell you don't see something in red and white stripes hurtling towards you when you are a professional footballer?) and Shane nicks the ball off him and bang...... Back of the net almost in one movement it was all Shane's work: had half an eye on the Arsenal game and the amount of rugby kicks into row ZZ they had from their mega bucks superstars it's easy getting the ball it's putting it in the net is the hard bit.

You could see why it was so close between him and Pelle

I was toying with which one to vote for, so in the end I voted for neither. Not surprised the result was so close for those two goals - both absolute quality for different reasons.

It's all about opinions obviously but I think you are overstating the quality of one against the other !

Pelle's was instinctive whereas Shane's was calculated, which for me made it slightly better !

Either way it's not a 'ridiculous' comparison !

It's all about opinions obviously but I think you are overstating the quality of one against the other !

Pelle's was instinctive whereas Shane's was calculated, which for me made it slightly better !

Either way it's not a 'ridiculous' comparison !

There's a bit of short-termism in effect here which, and when you consider the number of people who will have forgotten everything that happened before Sunday, plus those who've liked Pelle's goal for ages but are already used to it and over it, you have to think that Long only winning by under 2% actually means Pelle's goal IS the better, and over time will come to be regarded as such.

Personally speaking I can (could? :( ) score 35-40 yard bending shots with the keeper on the edge of the box all day and with the space Long had there's really not much affecting his ability to execute that, not sure I could tee myself up for a scissors kick in a Premier League match surrounded by Prem defenders though, and that's what makes Pelle's goal better.

I'd actually say both of them were equally as instinctive as calculated, Long had more time but he still only had enough time to check Given's position and decide "hit it" in order to do it quickly enough that Given didn't get back, Pelle's was a split-second reaction to where the ball was but he had to have known more or less where it would be after his control touch in order to be able to balance himself to launch into the air.

Edited by The9

Yes but only because Fonte saying after the game how he was shouting "shoot!" - funniest moment of the season for me.

I'm claiming an assist for Long's goal, I had exactly the amount of time it takes to quickly say "keeper's out hit it" after he won the ball on halfway before he did. :D