Harry puts le tiss above beckham in prem team.

Roger

Beckham was a great player and so was MLT of course. The difference between the 2 was that Matt was a tad laid-back and could often go missing on a cold afternoon up North. He was overweight but a great crowd pleaser and a crowd puller, but the lack of England caps is really down to his lack of dedication and ambition. But we love him for it. If you compare him to Mick Channon then you can see why Mick got the number of caps that he did and why he was injury free throughout his very long career.

Matt was class at his peak from 88-98.

Both brilliant, just in very different ways. I think the reason MLT didn't get as many caps as he should have was the perception of his character and the managers of the time preferring Teddy Sheringham. I mean, even our very own Ian Branfoot wouldn't give him a game! Beckham though was the best at what he did. Waddle's assessment that he didn't have a trick is very misleading, he didn't need one because as long as he had enough space to deliver the ball, that is what he did, both consistently and he was the best in the world at it. You don't play and be successful at the clubs he did if you're ****e!

No one eve said Beckham was sh*te. It is just that some don't think he was as good as others. No harm in that.

Bryan Robson was a better player than Beckham in my opinion. In fact I wonder if Beckham would get into a Manchester United all time greats team?

Bryan Robson was a dirty, overrated heap of hacking toss who wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in the modern game and thrived on 80s football because it was almost all about harrying, haring around like maniacs and "getting rid" - except for Liverpool, who knew how to keep a ball (and admittedly kill a game when leading with endless backpasses), hence their success. His strengths were fouling people and running a lot. Oh, and getting injured and shouting. Roy Keane was twice the player Robson was.

Would've been interesting to see how Matt would've fared in modern formations... the 4-2-3-1 we play now could've been ideal for him as the central player of the supporting 3 behind the main striker. And with England playing similarly, I wonder if things may have been different.

A 4-4-2 with Le Tiss as the supporting striker and 2 defensively minded central midfielders IS basically a 4-2-3-1, so he'd have done well - because he did.

I've never been Beckham's biggest fan. I prefer wide players to be quick, have tricks and be bale to beat man. But he certainly did a great job for Manure and England. He certainly made the most of his talents. Perhaps if I had watched him for United more I might have had a high opinion of him at the time. That said I honestly didn't realise Beckham scored so many beauties...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAkY3jI2vqE

Bryan Robson was a dirty, overrated heap of hacking toss who wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in the modern game and thrived on 80s football because it was almost all about harrying, haring around like maniacs and "getting rid" - except for Liverpool, who knew how to keep a ball (and admittedly kill a game when leading with endless backpasses), hence their success. His strengths were fouling people and running a lot. Oh, and getting injured and shouting. Roy Keane was twice the player Robson was.

not a fan then? I've never heard anyone describe Robson in that way. Very interesting. He was the big thing when I was a nipper. Everyone had a pair of his shin pads. I can't get that World Cup goal against France out of my head.

not a fan then? I've never heard anyone describe Robson in that way. Very interesting. He was the big thing when I was a nipper. Everyone had a pair of his shin pads. I can't get that World Cup goal against France out of my head.

Captain Cour-utches, as I recall a Liverpool fanzine referring to him in the late 80s. :D . He was decent in 1982, but England were better without him by '86, and Ferguson himself noted that the drinking culture Robson led was the main obstacle to Ferguson getting success at Man U. His general Souness-like thuggishness was enough back then, playbreaker with an excellent engine, lots of aggression and a good shot.

He was particularly awful towards the end, with his cameos in the Man U number 12 shirt in their first Premier League title win involving people dribbling past him and him hacking them down from behind. He was like Michael Brown but with the media on his side from about '88 onwards.

Edited by The9

I've never been Beckham's biggest fan. I prefer wide players to be quick, have tricks and be bale to beat man. But he certainly did a great job for Manure and England. He certainly made the most of his talents. Perhaps if I had watched him for United more I might have had a high opinion of him at the time. That said I honestly didn't realise Beckham scored so many beauties...

Bang average that Beckham. This is barely the tip of the iceberg as well. The Spurs one (open play not the Free-Kick) was almost a carbon copy of another goal he scored that season too - they certainly weren't flukes.

Impressive how many were in big games against good teams too. Not just show boating at 4-0 up.

People forget just how good MLT was. You can go to most places in the world and people of a certain age know of Saints for one reason, Matt Le Tissier. I was in Edinburgh this week on BUSINESS talking with a multi millionaire businessman who was a Hearts fan and once we'd stopped talking work our first subject was who do you support, when i said Southampton he talked for about 30 minutes about Le Tissier and how he was one of the greatest players he'd ever seen. So many of the dumballs on here who told him to STFU when he (rightly) critised their pint sized hero should hang their head in shame. He was the best player to ever play for us and kept at times a terrible team in the premier league year after year and we will never see his like again. There are certain people who have a right to never pay for a ticket at a club and say what they want about it. He is one of them for us, our Bobby Charlton. It's no exageration to say if he had done a Lallana we'd have been relegated and could be in a postion like Coventry, Sheffield United or Wednesday have been over the last 15 years.

Bang average that Beckham. This is barely the tip of the iceberg as well. The Spurs one (open play not the Free-Kick) was almost a carbon copy of another goal he scored that season too - they certainly weren't flukes.

Impressive how many were in big games against good teams too. Not just show boating at 4-0 up.

Ok, so I managed to find it. I was actually wrong, it's a bit different - still a damn good goal though.

Like many Engish players he was over rated by the english media. He wasnt world class like was made out, he played in an era where the true world class players were Zindane, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one), Ronaldinho, Maldini. He wasn't even the best English or Man United player of his era either, that is Paul Scholes. But Beckham was that tier below them, very good but not great. What he did have though and why i was a fan, was the enthusiasm and commitment for England and his commitment could never be questioned, which is why he is held in high regard by so many. His footballing ability was overstated, his commitment can never be.

Like many Engish players he was over rated by the english media. He wasnt world class like was made out, he played in an era where the true world class players were Zindane, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one), Ronaldinho, Maldini. He wasn't even the best English or Man United player of his era either, that is Paul Scholes. But Beckham was that tier below them, very good but not great. What he did have though and why i was a fan, was the enthusiasm and commitment for England and his commitment could never be questioned, which is why he is held in high regard by so many. His footballing ability was overstated, his commitment can never be.

This, he had a great workrate and good technique with a dead ball. Scholes still annoys me the fact we wasting him.

This, he had a great workrate and good technique with a dead ball. Scholes still annoys me the fact we wasting him.

It was criminal the way England treated Scholes. Almost every player I've heard interviewed that had played with him said he was the best they played with. The guy was unreal.

Sticking him out left was a joke.

It was criminal the way England treated Scholes. Almost every player I've heard interviewed that had played with him said he was the best they played with. The guy was unreal.

Sticking him out left was a joke.

Typical of England though wasn't it. Take our players and shoehorn them into a 4-4-2.

Lawrie Mac used to rave about him (before he moved into midfield and was playing at the back) and would have brought him to SFC if he could. I don't agree that he wouldn't last now. He was a quality player and one of the best midfield players of his time. He had more to his game than Beckham as he was an accomplished defender too. Each to his own though and this is just my opinion.

Lawrie Mac used to rave about him (before he moved into midfield and was playing at the back) and would have brought him to SFC if he could. I don't agree that he wouldn't last now. He was a quality player and one of the best midfield players of his time. He had more to his game than Beckham as he was an accomplished defender too. Each to his own though and this is just my opinion.

Nature of the game in those days, he was a water carrier.

This. Even more so the bit about Scholes. When my kids are older the players I'll want to tell them I saw in the flesh......Scholes/Le Tissier/Gascoigne

In Gazza's book he says that Bryan Robson was the best player he had played with.

For Manchester united Beckham played 394 games and scored 85 goals. Robson played 461 games and scored 99 goals.

For England Beckham played 115 games with 17 goals. Robson 90 games with 26 goals.

Not bad for a water carrier!

Paul Gascoigne's judgement as a benchmark eh? :o

As for "mostly wide midfielder scores fewer than central midfielder", this is hardly a surprise. Also, Robson played for Man U when they were rarely in Europe whilst Beckham had loads of Champions League games, and Robson played for England at a time when you could stick 9 goals on Luxembourg and Turkey.

Admittedly England's current Euro 2016 group isn't conducive to my argument that international football is more competitive nowadays, but the recent complaints that it's too easy support that it's an exception. And it was only 5...

Gazza might be a car crash but he knows his football!

You can only play what is in front of you and everything is relative. I still maintain that if Robson was playing today he would walk into any top Premiership side.

Scholes was quality but his tackling let him down. Often got himself sent off with clumsy challenges when there was no need. Could do with players like that now though.