Saints 1 Man Utd 2 - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

Victor seemed to be the nearest to RVP but perhaps he was marking someone else, then again perhaps he, like most people, just expected Forster to come out and catch the ball.

Doesn't really matter, if we had put our chances away we'd have been out of sight by then so ifs and buts work both ways. .

The postmatch analysis showed how it was deliberately worked, how both Fellaini and RVP started among the line of Southampton players but then looped to the outside as the ball was played in. In particular, Fellaini used his body to block players shifting towards RVP. In American football terms, Fellaini 'sealed the edge', enabling RVP to get to the back stick practically unmarked. Either way, the ball should have been claimed by Forster. The guy is a physical freak - act like f**king one.

Thought we were unlucky.

But, Koeman should admit that he ought not to have subbed Tadic whilst we were defending a free kick. Basics. Not saying that goal wouldn't have happened anyway, but you never know.

Mayuka is still a liability. It feels like we have 10 men on when he comes on, adds nothing. We need a striker to replace him. I'd rather have seen Harry Reid or another midfielder given a chance.

Yoshida was better than normal, didn't start hoofing until the last 10 minutes.

Finally, chants of the day:

1st Place. Northam. 'You only live round the corner'.

2nd Place. manure. ' feed the scousers, let them know it's xmas time...' (we need to sing that!) :)

Thought we were unlucky.

But, Koeman should admit that he ought not to have subbed Tadic whilst we were defending a free kick. Basics. Not saying that goal wouldn't have happened anyway, but you never know.

Mayuka is still a liability. It feels like we have 10 men on when he comes on, adds nothing. We need a striker to replace him. I'd rather have seen Harry Reid or another midfielder given a chance.

Yoshida was better than normal, didn't start hoofing until the last 10 minutes.

Finally, chants of the day:

1st Place. Northam. 'You only live round the corner'.

2nd Place. manure. ' feed the scousers, let them know it's xmas time...' (we need to sing that!) :)

Not that long back we Saints were singing "Feed the Skates. Let them know it's Christmas time"

I'm sure if you hunt thru the Pompey Saga you'll find it on there somewhere.

Man U fan and, I think, former board member.

Saints fan as far as I know (or maybe his daughter). One of my mates sold him two spare tickets at some away game in 2003.

Then, when we got to the cup final same mate cheekily emailed him (he was at the bbc then) to see if he had any spares. GD sent a car round to drop off two tickets just behind the BBC commentators. The kind of thing the Daily Mail would have a field day with these days!

Saints fan as far as I know (or maybe his daughter). One of my mates sold him two spare tickets at some away game in 2003.

Then, when we got to the cup final same mate cheekily emailed him (he was at the bbc then) to see if he had any spares. GD sent a car round to drop off two tickets just behind the BBC commentators. The kind of thing the Daily Mail would have a field day with these days!

Doesn't he live in Broughton? I'm sure one of my customers mentioned he lived there.

Whoosh

Greg Dyke is Brentford, mixed with some United plastic.

(I'll assume the rest is horse****)

Edited by shurlock

He is not a Saints fan.

Man United’s Ashley Young has revealed his delight at his team-mates use of the ball against Southampton and found time to praise the fans who travelled to the south coast.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/we-looked-dangerous-with-that-move-ashley-young-comments-on-man-uniteds-new-attacking-style/243223#bVXFHfoVf8rWgqBW.99

This would be the use of the ball that resulted in United having the fewest shots on goal of any United team since the last Ice Age then? As for the fans that he praises, then credit indeed to those who made a round trip of over 420 miles, but he must be bloody naive not to realise that quite a large number of their crowd live within an hour of the ground. Anyway Ashley Young was in Clyne's pocket the entire match, so what does he know about anything?

• 1 month later...
Says it all. As Graham Taylor once said 'I don't mind losing but I hate losing sh#t'.

I just hope the team keeps the faith. Play like that every week and we'd win way more than we lose.

Come Jan 11 when we next play Man Utd. Who's higher in the league? Us or them? My money is on us. Revenge will be sweet.

and sweet it was...

Football IS a funny ol' game though ain't it? I thought we way more deserved the 3 points for the game v Man Utd at St Marys but lost. Yesterday - not so dominating but won.

Like the whole 'they didn't have a shot on target' thing from yesterday. No they didn't - but they had a couple of pretty good chances when they SHOULD HAVE been on target (and probably scored from).

For the game at St Marys they pretty much created jack but scored twice...

Is it still early days? Have we had any injuries? Have we beaten anyone good yet?