Saints 1 Man Utd 2 - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

TV showed him being chatted up and poached by Luke Shaw. A|t least Man U will [paid a better price that anyone else.

Koeman's substitutions stink. We should and could have won had Koeman used Gardos and Reed.

Actually they were just behind me but TV was misleading. Toby, JWP, Morg an , Luke & Jaidi were all sitting together in a row behind the man U board in the Itchen. I expect Jaidi was keeping an eye on Shaw and could hear every word. Morgan is better than United.

Don't blame Ron for the parsity of our squad!

Tadic must be carrying a knock as his two through balls in the first half were atrociously overhit - two decently weighted passes and Long would have been in both times.

He is carrying a knock (groin strain); thought the same about those two passes first half, but second half he laid one on perfectly, which Pelle blasted over the bar

Effing daylight robbery. To lose in that way to such a c.rap bunch of clueless t.ossers is gut wrenching. Fonte is a right tit and deserves to be dropped. Hesketh, who he? Mayuka? Send him home on a free.

Agree about Daylight Robbery but Hesketh had hardly set foot on the pitch when Forster failed to deal with the free kick. Hesketh has been with Saints since he was aged eight, signed a professional contract in May 2014, and was the club's 2013/14 Scholar of the Season after impressing with the Under-18s and Development Squad. Similar age to when JWP was given a starting place against Man City in our first game back in The Prem in 2012. Good decision to bring him on and better than the decision to keep Mané on the pitch.

I came away feeling robbed but it wasn't like that.

If you make defensive mistakes and don't take your chances, that can't be called unfair.

Yes we are missing key players, but sadly we got what we deserved - not for our performance that was better than theirs, but for those key moments when we slipped up.

On reflection, it was our own fault.

Which makes it more annoying.

Let's get back on track at Burnley and continue to compete for 6th place.

Some useless match facts to ponder:

Man Utd had 6 touches in our penalty area, we had 32 in theirs.

They had 3 shots on target, the lowest for them in any Premier League match since August 2003.

United were terrible. Completely terrible

How they came away from St Marys and the Emirates with 6 points is an utter mystery

Neville was certainly correct in his opinion that United were absolutely dire. Where he was arguably wrong was in his estimation that we lacked confidence. There might have been an element of that, but the main reason that we appeared to be not at our best, was because we were missing our key defender, our key midfielder and his main supporting midfielder. I'm confident that had we had Alderweireld, Schneiderlin and Cork available, we could have torn them apart and probably denied them the two goals we gifted them too.

So the Sky jinx hits us again. I'd be interested to see the win/loss ratio when we have been on Sky.

If Gardos is no better than Yoshida then why buy him? Yoshida is just not good enough at this level and was caught knapping on the ball once or twice again last night. Didn't do a lot wrong but just looks what he is, a makeweight.

Would also have liked to see Reed on last night.

Don't get Mane at all. Just hope Ron manages to help him become more consistent and make better decisions. Was lucky not to get sent off last night with that stupid challenge on RVP.

Wouldn't it be great to have a world class goal scorer up front? RVP got them out of jail last night.

Is Mayuka better than Igrove?

Watched the match with a United supporting mate last night and he was very embarrassed at the final whistle!

United were terrible. Completely terrible

How they came away from St Marys and the Emirates with 6 points is an utter mystery

Because they take the minimal amount of chances that they create and punish mistakes at the back, we don't. When we can score from the odd chance that we make we'll be a better side than they, until then....................

Man Utd had 6 touches in our penalty area, we had 32 in theirs.

They had 3 shots on target, the lowest for them in any Premier League match since August 2003.

Says it all. As Graham Taylor once said 'I don't mind losing but I hate losing sh#t'.

I just hope the team keeps the faith. Play like that every week and we'd win way more than we lose.

Come Jan 11 when we next play Man Utd. Who's higher in the league? Us or them? My money is on us. Revenge will be sweet.

United were poor, therefore it was a disappointing result. The comments I feel are individual criticisms.

Fonte defensively having his best season however his continually passing back to the goalkeeper has at times put the goalkeeper under pressure and not for the first time a careless back pass gifted a goal to the opposition. His default should be hit Pelle not pass back to Forster

Mane doesn't look like a good footballer but a talent playing off the cuff. His decision making is dire and his awareness and willingness to back up his full back is lacking. He doesn't know how to use his pace either checking back to take a pass facing the wrong way or dribbling inside. To use his pace he needs to hit the ball well past the full back and run him and get to the bye line thereby bringing Pelle into play.

Davis needs to pass forward a lot more as there is far too much backwards and sideways look what happens when he does get forward as for Pelle's goal.

Whoever takes the corners and free kicks needs to do a lot better there is really no quality from the delivery whoever takes them

Our possession football as a template is great but not when it gets bogged down going nowhere slowly allowing the opposition to get goal side. MU pushed up and left a lot of room behind their centre backs. Aston Villa showed how to exploit that by putting the ball over them early from the back four. We should do the same at times. Our floated long diagonal ball takes far too long to get there allowing the defender plenty of time to close down.

Mayuka is hopeless.

for VP's second we had six defenders in mid goal marking three whilst Bertrand marked nobody and Fellaini peeled off right and was let go and nobody at all picked up VP.

Edited by derry

So the Sky jinx hits us again.

Christ, not this nonsense again.

Yes it's a 'Sky jinx' that we've just lost to the biggest richest clubs in the world. If we were losing to Burnley and Leicester on Sky I'd be more inclined to believe it (even though it would still be nonsense).

who was the ref last night.

I swear he gave us nothing (compared to them)

one time (i think it was) fellaini went in very hard in an aerial duel with someone and the ref gave nothing....

K

Kevin Friend (friend of Man Utd). It was far worse than "he gave us nothing", he blatantly gave many decisions the wrong way. Hence the crowd singing, we are Southampton, we've won a free kick" in the 2nd half. Shocking referee, had no big decisions to make (pens etc) but gave so many lesser decisions the wrong way, embarrassing. And don't give me any **** about if being a tough job (I know I have been a referee), he was just plain **** poor and should be suspended for the performance like the other knob jockey a couple of weeks back.

Christ, not this nonsense again.

Yes it's a 'Sky jinx' that we've just lost to the biggest richest clubs in the world. If we were losing to Burnley and Leicester on Sky I'd be more inclined to believe it (even though it would still be nonsense).

On the other had it wouldn't get shown on Sky in all likelihood. Therefore it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, we lose when we are on Sky usually because we are playing one of the Sky Favs.

K

Kevin Friend (friend of Man Utd). It was far worse than "he gave us nothing", he blatantly gave many decisions the wrong way. Hence the crowd singing, we are Southampton, we've won a free kick" in the 2nd half. Shocking referee, had no big decisions to make (pens etc) but gave so many lesser decisions the wrong way, embarrassing. And don't give me any **** about if being a tough job (I know I have been a referee), he was just plain **** poor and should be suspended for the performance like the other knob jockey a couple of weeks back.

The only favour he gave us was not sending off Mané or Jose for those tackles late on.

Neville was certainly correct in his opinion that United were absolutely dire. Where he was arguably wrong was in his estimation that we lacked confidence. There might have been an element of that, but the main reason that we appeared to be not at our best, was because we were missing our key defender, our key midfielder and his main supporting midfielder. I'm confident that had we had Alderweireld, Schneiderlin and Cork available, we could have torn them apart and probably denied them the two goals we gifted them too.

I'm confident that had we had Schneiderlin available we would have won. Cork would have been sub, and to be honest we did not miss Toby (great player that he is), Yoshida was again a perfectly good backup and had little to do with the pathetic Manu attack (3 shots on target, of which two were howlers by Fonte and Forster). I guess the only possible thing that Toby might have done better than Yoshi was scored when that golden chance opened up, then again maybe Toby would not have been there/persisted as Yoshida did.

Perhaps if they had not had the Man U badge on their chests the players may have had a little more belief. As a fan i was thinking they will start playing well, but they didnt we just gifted them the result. A long floated free kick that ended 4-5 yards out should be simple for any keeper to collect

I'm confident that had we had Schneiderlin available we would have won. Cork would have been sub, and to be honest we did not miss Toby (great player that he is), Yoshida was again a perfectly good backup and had little to do with the pathetic Manu attack (3 shots on target, of which two were howlers by Fonte and Forster). I guess the only possible thing that Toby might have done better than Yoshi was scored when that golden chance opened up, then again maybe Toby would not have been there/persisted as Yoshida did.

Toby might have spotted RVP was unmarked, or Bertrand calling for help as the kick was being lined up, for their 2nd goal

Toby might have spotted RVP was unmarked, or Bertrand calling for help as the kick was being lined up, for their 2nd goal

Victor seemed to be the nearest to RVP but perhaps he was marking someone else, then again perhaps he, like most people, just expected Forster to come out and catch the ball.

Doesn't really matter, if we had put our chances away we'd have been out of sight by then so ifs and buts work both ways. .

who was the ref last night.

I swear he gave us nothing (compared to them)

one time (i think it was) fellaini went in very hard in an aerial duel with someone and the ref gave nothing....

Felaini gets away with murder week after week. Leads with his elbow time and time again. Can't stand him.

Felaini gets away with murder week after week. Leads with his elbow time and time again. Can't stand him.

Despise him, a really nasty c**t - if any player deserves a taste of his own medicine, it's him.

Edited by shurlock

Perhaps our psychologist needs to do more work with the team, as we seem to have a real mental block about getting the job done against the so called big 6. As has been reiterated on here, Manchester United were shocking last night, and the fact that we managed to lose that game is bordering on criminal. Forster had two things to do, and did neither. Fonte's backpass was careless, but the biggest crime was our wayward finishing, we lacked composure and Pelle, Long etc all snatched at chances due to the "pressure".

Fellaini is also a cheating bastard, as well as a thug. There is only one other player as big as Fellaini, who goes down as easily as him under the slightest contact and his name is Andy Carroll. The two of them are an absolute disgrace. Mane also goes down too easily like Owen did, but at least they have the excuse when tackled by big defenders that they are slightly built. When Fellaini or Carroll fall down when tackled by the likes of Clyne, Davis or Cork, it just looks farcical.

Perhaps our psychologist needs to do more work with the team, as we seem to have a real mental block about getting the job done against the so called big 6. As has been reiterated on here, Manchester United were shocking last night, and the fact that we managed to lose that game is bordering on criminal. Forster had two things to do, and did neither. Fonte's backpass was careless, but the biggest crime was our wayward finishing, we lacked composure and Pelle, Long etc all snatched at chances due to the "pressure".

For me this is has been our biggest failing recently, we just do not put our chances away and then suffer the consequences when all those "world class" players get a sniff of goal. Looked at Stoke-Arsenal the other day and noted just how much more efficient Stoke were on that occasion.

Isn't it frustrating that in our 5 games against Man United since returning to the premier league we've lost 3 and in all 3 defeats they've been forunate. 2 late goals in 2012/13 season at home, in the away game we comepletely dominated them and lost 1-2. Then lasts night losing because of mistakes. Its frustraining that over the course of those 5 games we've been the better side yet only got 2 points to show for it.

For me this is has been our biggest failing recently, we just do not put our chances away and then suffer the consequences when all those "world class" players get a sniff of goal. Looked at Stoke-Arsenal the other day and noted just how much more efficient Stoke were on that occasion.
There is certainly some truth in what you say, but isn't it a bit of balancing out across the course of the season? We didn't exactly have loads of chances away at Hull or Swansea, but came away with wins from both.

There is certainly some truth in what you say, but isn't it a bit of balancing out across the course of the season? We didn't exactly have loads of chances away at Hull or Swansea, but came away with wins from both.

Indeed but where you've aspirations to be a top side you need to be consistent and not start well and then fall away. We did it last season as well, I put that down to JRod's injury in the main though. We probably had more chances against Arsenal and Utd but didn't put them away in the same manner.

Man United looked very poor but we gave them far too much respect - several of our players looked over-awed in the first half. Why on earth Koeman persists with Mayuka is beyond me. Why didn't we bring on Reed? I think the last three games have showed that Ronald has his weaknesses in terms of team selections, tactics and motivation. We should have beaten them yesterday and I felt robbed at the end.

Man United looked very poor but we gave them far too much respect - several of our players looked over-awed in the first half. Why on earth Koeman persists with Mayuka is beyond me. Why didn't we bring on Reed? I think the last three games have showed that Ronald has his weaknesses in terms of team selections, tactics and motivation. We should have beaten them yesterday and I felt robbed at the end.

When did we look over-awed? I'll give you that against City, but we took the game to Utd yesterday. It was them who looked over-awed if anything, we were all over them.

People keep calling for Reed, but they seem to not really understand his role or position. He's a central midfielder, not necessarily attacking - more in the JWP mode as in a natural CM. I'm not entirely sure how bringing on another Cm was going to aid is in anyway yesterday.

Granted, Mayuka is an absolute mess of a player, but there wasn't anything else he could do. Credit that he brought on Hasketh, but bringing on another CM in Reed would have been utterly pointless.

who ever said it was a pacey, low free kick was waaaay wrong.

just seen it on Meridian. it really wasnt

It was a floated, high, hanging one. He should have come out to it (punch, catch, tip over...whatever, it was gettable) even before RVP got a sniff if I'm honest.

Because they take the minimal amount of chances that they create and punish mistakes at the back, we don't. When we can score from the odd chance that we make we'll be a better side than they, until then....................

This

But then thats what a striker of RVP/Rooney or Falcaos calibre gets you.

I like pellè, think he is vital in the way we play, but do you notice how often he scuffs chances or snatches ? Short on confidence imo and needs to work on his composure

Victor seemed to be the nearest to RVP but perhaps he was marking someone else, then again perhaps he, like most people, just expected Forster to come out and catch the ball.

Doesn't really matter, if we had put our chances away we'd have been out of sight by then so ifs and buts work both ways. .

Looked zonal to me but in reality forster should have claimed it.

You are correct, had we finished more clinically it wouldnt have mattered

This

But then thats what a striker of RVP/Rooney or Falcaos calibre gets you.

I like pellè, think he is vital in the way we play, but do you notice how often he scuffs chances or snatches ? Short on confidence imo and needs to work on his composure

He needs half a dozen chances to score, unlike RVP or Agüero for example.

But that's why he didn't cost as much.

Noticed Tadic arrived with his boots on ice again. After hearing Rooney pre-match saying how much he was looking forward to wearing his new boots at St Marys and then seeing how awful he was, I reckon boots are behind our lack of goals recently. There was a time players would wear their boots by superstition and for good luck. Not nowadays, many use brand new boots or even wear other boots 2nd half. Definitely Tadic's definitely not producing the same crosses and free kicks that he was.

In the MatchDay video I was surprised the referee didn't rack thru that scum Fellaini's bird nest hair. He could be concealing anything in there. Wish we'd brought on Gardos to give him a broken leg or two. There's no player I hate more than Fellaini.

Actually they were just behind me but TV was misleading. Toby, JWP, Morg an , Luke & Jaidi were all sitting together in a row behind the man U board in the Itchen. I expect Jaidi was keeping an eye on Shaw and could hear every word. Morgan is better than United.

Don't blame Ron for the parsity of our squad!

Thanks a lot for the info on the players at the game and who was with who. Much appreciated.